Author Topic: If you could have any keycap idea brought to life, what would it be?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Sirgeorge

So,I'm looking for general ideas on a keycap design people would be happy with. I'm currently taking a few shots in the dark and would like to get some feedback as to what people would like. I'm actually going to have a prototype up and running relatively soon but before then, I want to see what the community has been dying for.

Offline Niomosy

Re: If you could have any keycap idea brought to life, what would it be?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:03:32 »
I'd have my own CNC mill and thermal injectors and make some modern beam spring style spherical caps with a solid deep dish, then expand into other profiles like a sculptured DSA profile.  Then offer up some colorways that seem to be heavily demanded along with some new designs that don't want to wait in the SA queue.

Of course, that's probably not what you were thinking in terms of keycap ideas but that's my keycap idea.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:32:21 »
I endorse Niomosy's ideas!  :thumb:

I'd also like to see lots of development funds poured into perfecting double-shot PBT keycaps. Apply that to beamspring clones (with a flat bottom row option, including spacebar) and sculptured DSA/XDA and we've really got something!

Offline Sirgeorge

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:43:27 »
You're right. It wasn't was I was thinking in terms of keycap ideas. However, that isn't a bad idea. The reason I was asking was because I wanted to see what the community was hungering for to see if I could fill that need. I'm rather new to the key space and tracking down something as old as that spec in a format that I can grab the dimensions off of doesn't seem that appealing. I'm not closed to the idea however. Regardless, I'm still on the lookout to fill the needs of people so if there is any custom keycap idea you would be in the market for (besides that) I'd be happy to hear it out.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 20:42:36 »
How bout double-shot black PBT buckling spring keycaps. At the moment the only new black BS keycaps that I'm aware of are blank. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 23:19:51 »

I'd also like to see lots of development funds poured into perfecting double-shot PBT keycaps. Apply that to beamspring clones (with a flat bottom row option, including spacebar) and sculptured DSA/XDA and we've really got something!

PBT doubleshot high profile caps would be high on my list as well.  That would likely be a rather popular setup.

How bout double-shot black PBT buckling spring keycaps. At the moment the only new black BS keycaps that I'm aware of are blank. 

If I've got my own equipment?  Sure, we'll throw in Alps stems as well.  Topre as well for good measure.

Offline Sirgeorge

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 00:40:40 »
Currently, unfortunately, my setup is minimal. I've got silicon mold stuff here. I can do any shape you want but materials are limited to whatever I can pour in a soft mold. However, I've talked to a few companies that have hand-operated injection molding machines that would allow you to, in multiple steps, create double shot injection molding. Until then, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait. Any other ideas?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 00:50:15 »

PBT doubleshot high profile caps would be high on my list as well.  That would likely be a rather popular setup.

If I've got my own equipment?  Sure, we'll throw in Alps stems as well.  Topre as well for good measure.

*rubs hands together gif* Hehe, nice.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 01:39:41 »
All I need in my life is thick PBT with white-on-black doubleshot legends that uses Helvetia

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 08:22:50 »
Blue&White, like the sky.  In a refresh styLe.
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 18:04:19 »
Spherical frosted glass caps with clear etched legends

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 23:37:41 »
A blank, fully sculpted SA/spherical keycap set. Or, not entirely blank but with layout-agnostic legends, even on the alphanumeric keys.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 06:52:25 »
A blank, fully sculpted SA/spherical keycap set. Or, not entirely blank but with layout-agnostic legends, even on the alphanumeric keys.

I guess trying to piece together a fully sculpted blank SA set is just as time-consuming as waiting for the next season of keycaps

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 23:07:45 »

This is what I was going to suggest. I've seen a few posts of people trying to find a blank SA set, and a few people who've cobbled together vomit blank sets from leftovers. I would love to put together a stealth board with high profile blanks myself. It seems like it might be a good first project, since it cuts out an entire axis of complexity (applying legends). Not at all sure how much interest there would be, though.

Offline TheOtherDave

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 16:11:44 »
I just want keycaps something like this (very much a work in-progress, and the solarized color scheme isn't the point): http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/c02dcdfa2fb30fc3dd00d7ed185eaa76
The regular english letters are in the regular color, the greek letters are the same color as the alt/option-key legend (because they're on the "alt" layer in the keyboard layout file), and the math symbols match the control-key legend (because they're on the "control" layer).

Offline blawb

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:40:11 »
I'd really like more backlit-compatible keycaps (i.e where the legends are clear). To my knowledge, the only decent ones are either black or white. For me the primary purpose of having backlit keys at all is to allow me to see them in a dark environment. Seeing more colors/designs/legends utilizing clear would be really cool.

Also, they shouldn't allow light to shine through except where the legend is.
i hate wet socks

Offline TheOtherDave

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 02:56:28 »
I'd really like more backlit-compatible keycaps (i.e where the legends are clear). To my knowledge, the only decent ones are either black or white. For me the primary purpose of having backlit keys at all is to allow me to see them in a dark environment. Seeing more colors/designs/legends utilizing clear would be really cool.

AFAIK, the only way to manufacture multi-color backlit keycaps would be to start with clear caps and dye-sub the entire thing. IIRC, someone tried something like that once, and there were issues (although I don't know what said issues are/were, so maybe you or I wouldn't care).

Offline blawb

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 04:13:30 »

AFAIK, the only way to manufacture multi-color backlit keycaps would be to start with clear caps and dye-sub the entire thing. IIRC, someone tried something like that once, and there were issues (although I don't know what said issues are/were, so maybe you or I wouldn't care).

Most of the aftermarket backlit keycaps I've seen have been doubleshot. I don't mean that an individual keycap would be multiple colors+clear, but maybe dark grey and clear alphas with black and clear modifiers for example
i hate wet socks

Offline TheOtherDave

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 13:36:37 »

Most of the aftermarket backlit keycaps I've seen have been doubleshot. I don't mean that an individual keycap would be multiple colors+clear, but maybe dark grey and clear alphas with black and clear modifiers for example
Ah, ok. Yeah, AFAIK that doesn't present any challenges.

Offline killyou

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 08:46:12 »
I'd like to have 2 things:

1. Pok3r PBT keycaps with a legend that does not fade
2. Nautilus keycaps but blank and PBT instead of ABS