Author Topic: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?  (Read 55154 times)

Offline cynviloq

Re: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 16:28:37 »
Hi everyone - I talked to the seller and he's doing a follow-on of the GSX96 that's a little cheaper since it'll be an acrylic case (which is better if you like RGB everywhere!)

GB price is 438 yuan and comes with the acrylic case / switch plate, PCB, and aluminum feet.

https://world.taobao.com/item/544102491096.htm?fromSite=main

Ends in a few days!

Offline jKaw

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 19:50:40 »
Hi everyone - I talked to the seller and he's doing a follow-on of the GSX96 that's a little cheaper since it'll be an acrylic case (which is better if you like RGB everywhere!)

GB price is 438 yuan and comes with the acrylic case / switch plate, PCB, and aluminum feet.

https://world.taobao.com/item/544102491096.htm?fromSite=main

Ends in a few days!

contemplating on if i should jump on the GB for the acrylic of wait for your inventory stock. decisions decisions

Offline greenbox

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 19:56:19 »
I can't even load taobao now. It keeps directing me to tmall.

Who's installing zealios and which one ?  I'm tossing between 62g and 65g

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 08:34:50 »

I'm still debating between Zealios and Mods, I'm a little annoyed that shipping is $15 from ZealPC which makes it $100 instead of like $80 for the Mods...I'll keep insessently pressing my switch sampler some more I guess.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 08:36:42 »

I'm still debating between Zealios and Mods, I'm a little annoyed that shipping is $15 from ZealPC which makes it $100 instead of like $80 for the Mods...I'll keep insessently pressing my switch sampler some more I guess.

Zeals are superior to mods IMO. And you can sort of bypass the obnoxious Zeal Shipping Premium by ordering zealios from KBDfans on Aliexpress/his website as they'll ship cheaper from China- just take longer, in the end it should save you a few dollars.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 08:51:01 »
I'm going 78g zealios. Not a huge mod fan..zeals just feel much more refined.
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 09:29:38 »

Zeals are superior to mods IMO. And you can sort of bypass the obnoxious Zeal Shipping Premium by ordering zealios from KBDfans on Aliexpress/his website as they'll ship cheaper from China- just take longer, in the end it should save you a few dollars.
I've been playing with a switch tester for a few weeks now, Zeals feel smoother and more refined for sure, but the bump in the MODs feels bigger/more noticeable. I type on Cherry Browns all day at work and the MODs feel like a slightly heavier version with a bigger bump, which sort of solves the shortcomings I have With the Cherry Browns. I'm using Gat browns at home right now and while they're way smoother than Cherry Browns, the bump is harder to feel because of it.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:11:21 »
As useful as switch testers are, they are only so effective. They can only help you grasp the fundamental feel, but a full board of switches is going to obviously tell you different things.

I was convinced based on my switch tester that mod's were hands down the zeal killer, but when I actually outfitted a full board of them I sort of regretted it almost immediately.

They're tactile, but there is just something off about them and I never truly feel content using them, in my opinion it's the wobble- it literally feels like I could bend the keycap 90 degrees while typing. Obviously, though, it's all preference.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:13:43 by schoolbus »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 10:12:29 »
disregard, accidentally double posted.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 12:15:18 »
As useful as switch testers are, they are only so effective. They can only help you grasp the fundamental feel, but a full board of switches is going to obviously tell you different things.

I was convinced based on my switch tester that mod's were hands down the zeal killer, but when I actually outfitted a full board of them I sort of regretted it almost immediately.

They're tactile, but there is just something off about them and I never truly feel content using them, in my opinion it's the wobble- it literally feels like I could bend the keycap 90 degrees while typing. Obviously, though, it's all preference.
Yeah, I wish I could compare them directly for sure. Gonna take another day or so and make my decision. My keycaps are still not in so I have some time.

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 14:14:00 »

Yeah, I wish I could compare them directly for sure. Gonna take another day or so and make my decision. My keycaps are still not in so I have some time.
I had a switch tester with both and they both seemed great to me. But after I installed each in different boards, I loved the zealios in comparison. I have since bought a lot more zealios and sold the board with the mods.

Offline jKaw

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 15:39:29 »
Went in for two acrylics, but I can always take an aluminum one off mehkees later down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 18:46:30 »
Just finished mine:

Pretty good little kit for the price. The front piece flexes and the center of the keyboard flexes a little bit - not sure if I missed something but I'll pop it open again and see what's up. I figured out how to turn off the RGB lighting (kinda over that whole thing), but the caps lock and num lock glow green - anyone know how to change that to white?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 18:56:46 »
Went in for two acrylics, but I can always take an aluminum one off mehkees later down the road

There won't be that many available given the defects in production. It's safer to grab these :)

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 19:55:11 »
So I was searching around and found this guide for making your PCB hot swap-able and am tempted to give it a try in case I ever get tired of whatever switch I go with:

Here's the sockets he's using: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726

It'd be ~$50 for all the pieces you need but you don't have to solder and you can change switches whenever you want?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 20:36:38 »
Called holtites, and you can get em much cheaper from vendors (via China I assume) than digikey
keyboards.

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 22:19:01 »
Holtites have been nothing but trouble for me. One some PCBs they don't work at all. On some they'll work for a while now and then give you headaches down the road. I've used several different kinds of holtites with several different PCBs and have not been happy with any in the long run. Just my. 02

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 08:14:42 »
Holtites have been nothing but trouble for me. One some PCBs they don't work at all. On some they'll work for a while now and then give you headaches down the road. I've used several different kinds of holtites with several different PCBs and have not been happy with any in the long run. Just my. 02
That's disappointing to hear! Everything I've found suggests it's basically a matter of them working with the PCB or not, but I haven't seen too many long term use write ups either. They're appealing because I love this layout and don't want to have to sell off the board if I ever want to change switches because finding this was a pain in the ass, lol.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:36:05 »
Just ordered the acrylic on superbuy. These prices are hard to beat.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:08:47 »
Just finished mine:

Pretty good little kit for the price. The front piece flexes and the center of the keyboard flexes a little bit - not sure if I missed something but I'll pop it open again and see what's up. I figured out how to turn off the RGB lighting (kinda over that whole thing), but the caps lock and num lock glow green - anyone know how to change that to white?

Nice! 
Regarding the flex, I can see they didn't put in standoffs in the middle on the metal frame, except what looks like the very front if I'm reading the design right?  Looks like three standoffs across very front, and two in the back spaced out, with USB cutout in back-left.  Odd that the acrylic frame has more standoffs present. 

If I end up with one of these I'll look into adding some standoffs in some fashion to make things a bit more turgid.  .... :eek: Okay, stiffened up?...   :-[  Alright, rigid.  :-X  Ah, forget it.  lol
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:33:41 »
Been typing on it all day at work and the flexing is bothersome when typing all hardcore on these gateron greens. Will definitely take it apart when I get home to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Another bothersome thing - my Q key rides lower than all of my other keys, and it is bothering the piss out of me! How is this even possible with the plate lol? Guess I'll desolder it and back it out a teensy bit? Shrug. This is my first build so if anyone has insight on that it'd be appreciated.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:04:06 »
I can imagine.  I looked at pics of the PCB in this thread and it looks like there could be 3 more standoffs in the middle of that deck that could align to those holes on the PCB.  If I get one of these kits I'll see about adding to the stock case and drilling the plate to line up to them, as that's a bit of an oversight, TBH.  Exorbitant flexing like that would drive me nuts!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:29:12 »
Been typing on it all day at work and the flexing is bothersome when typing all hardcore on these gateron greens. Will definitely take it apart when I get home to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Another bothersome thing - my Q key rides lower than all of my other keys, and it is bothering the piss out of me! How is this even possible with the plate lol? Guess I'll desolder it and back it out a teensy bit? Shrug. This is my first build so if anyone has insight on that it'd be appreciated.
Show Image

You sure maybe the rest of your switches aren't down all the way? Or the plate could have flexed a little around that switch- I did notice it was pretty malleable if you weren't careful.

As someone who's made a few boards now every time after I notice a switch I didn't get seated completely and it irks the **** out of me, but it's usually the opposite- one switch is higher than the rest.

Since then I've been super anal about thoroughly pushing each switch in because unscrewing and resoldering switches is tedious.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:30:02 »
As soon as I ordered the kit I figured I'd need to add additional standoffs to prevent flexing in the middle of the PCB. My plan is to measure the existing standoffs in the case, purchase additional loose standoffs (like you'd use on a sandwich style case), screw them to the bottom of the PCB in all unused holes (there's several), apply a dab of JB weld to the bottom of each, then assemble the case. At least, that's the initial plan​, subject to change when I have it in hand. I may opt for strong double sided tape at first and see if it rattles.
keyboards.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 18:25:56 »
As soon as I ordered the kit I figured I'd need to add additional standoffs to prevent flexing in the middle of the PCB. My plan is to measure the existing standoffs in the case, purchase additional loose standoffs (like you'd use on a sandwich style case), screw them to the bottom of the PCB in all unused holes (there's several), apply a dab of JB weld to the bottom of each, then assemble the case. At least, that's the initial plan​, subject to change when I have it in hand. I may opt for strong double sided tape at first and see if it rattles.

If you go through with with this, would you mind providing photos?

I just finished my build, everything went pretty well.

Definitely get where people are coming form on the flexing, it's not super bad for me now that everything is assembled but I can see where folks with heavier switches might have issues especially in the northeast part of the keyboard.

One of my LED's was missing a resistor so I jerry-rigged one from a different board, one day maybe i'll replace it with the proper one.

I also can't get one of the underglow RGB led's to work, so I figure it's either defective or I'm missing another resistor (I noticed another one)

all in all though, I'm pretty content given the price- I think the "issues" can be more or less rectified and you're left with an arguably "high end" board for ~$100.

I also plan to add some little rubber adhesive feet to the front as well since it's bare.

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 00:28:46 »
That's disappointing to hear! Everything I've found suggests it's basically a matter of them working with the PCB or not, but I haven't seen too many long term use write ups either. They're appealing because I love this layout and don't want to have to sell off the board if I ever want to change switches because finding this was a pain in the ass, lol.
Desoldering isn't that hard. I have this Tenma 21-8240 Vacuum Desoldering Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DJRYIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_SBfLSqd31C2rj and it makes it super easy.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:50:45 »
Desoldering isn't that hard. I have this Tenma 21-8240 Vacuum Desoldering Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DJRYIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_SBfLSqd31C2rj and it makes it super easy.

Yeah, I decided to go the soldering route, just too many questions with the holtites, plus picking up a new skill is never a bad thing.

I have everything ordered now, just waiting on the switches (went mod-m after a lot of thought) and stabilizers to come in, hopefully I can assemble this weekend.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 06:35:07 »
Anyone by chance know what the proper resistors are for the LED's? I don't really know how to read them at all ha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 07:51:28 by schoolbus »

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:00:06 »
If anyone finds out what standoffs the board needs please post it! <3

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:06:36 »
I'll know soon. My board just cleared customs so I should have it in a few days
keyboards.

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:32:32 »
Just finished mine, the flex in the middle is very slight, hardly noticeable. I have no idea what i'm doing with the Boot mapper, any help would be appreciated. Never mind it wasn't that hard :P

« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:38:56 by lazermajor »

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 14:06:36 »
LOL yeah that bootmapper was mega-confusing at first but after 10 minutes of staring blankly at it I was like "...oh."

Offline xantiema

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 06:02:53 »
So, is the aluminium kit still for sale, and if it is, where can I get one?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 06:27:58 »

It is not, supposedly very few extras on mehkee.com at some point.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 08:02:57 »
Got my switches and stabilizers in yesterday and placed everything in the PCB/Plate. I'll order a soldering iron this weekend so i can solder it up. I'm still waiting on a keycap set for it (cyan/dolch maxkeys SA), but I threw the old keys from my work TKL on there so I could get a better feel for the switches and I'm really happy with the MOD-Ms so far, They feel like slightly heavier Cherry Browns with a bigger bump, which is exactly what I wanted.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 08:49:58 »
Delivery scheduled for tomorrow, but I'm out of town so I moved delivery to Monday.  :p can't build due a thumb injury for a few weeks.
keyboards.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:23:25 »

It is not, supposedly very few extras on mehkee.com at some point.

Thanks for the info

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:16:51 »
Got mine soldered up today! Loving it so far. Now I just gotta figure out the bootmapper thing and wait for my actual keycap set.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:41:09 »
Unwrapped mine yesterday. Anodization in very nice (no lines) but unfortunately my case has a ding in the top left edge. These should have been double boxed  >:D PCB looks good but I haven't tested yet. I mocked everything up and I'll definitely be adding 2-3 standoffs to the center area to eliminate flex. Won't get to soldering until June as I'm going on vacation (woe is me!!)
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:34:28 »
Unwrapped mine yesterday. Anodization in very nice (no lines) but unfortunately my case has a ding in the top left edge. These should have been double boxed  >:D PCB looks good but I haven't tested yet. I mocked everything up and I'll definitely be adding 2-3 standoffs to the center area to eliminate flex. Won't get to soldering until June as I'm going on vacation (woe is me!!)
Sucks yours got dinged man!

I have the flex on mine, but don't notice it while typing so I don't think I'll bother adding standoffs.

Offline pfandartikel

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:39:24 »
I've probably bought the same kit and it came today.

I bought it through an agent, Superbuy, and they either missed to send some of the stuff or the seller didn't send everything.

I'm missing all the screws and the feet. The feet were shown on the inspection photo from Superbuy, so they apparently just missed them (send them a message about it). I don't have the screws at all and they weren't show on the photo from the agent, though that small bag with the metal plate was also not shown and I got that.

So, if I need to get some other screws, can anyone of you tell me size? The holes look like <2mm, which would make it M2 and maybe 5-10mm long. I hope it's not something weird that will be a pain to get.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:42:04 »
You sure it's not in the box/packaging they provided? I noticed that there was a baggy in mine of things that I wouldn't have noticed and almost threw out.

Offline pfandartikel

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 15:09:41 »
That's what I thought at first after seeing this thread and the posts but I've looked three time through everything and haven't got them. Since the feet are missing anyway I'm thinking Superbuy just forgot about these two things. Maybe they threw them away (maybe they didn't notice the bag), because I think I told them they didn't need to use the original package.

I'll send them another message, telling them there were probably supposed to be screws in there and if they still have them.

Edit: Here is a picture of my inspection, it doesn't show any small bags, but the feet are there. I got small plate that goes on the back side (?) anyway.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2017, 15:22:04 by pfandartikel »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 18:05:59 »
mine came with the plate in a small bag, then another small bag with the feet, feet screws, and pcb standoff screws. 
keyboards.

Offline pfandartikel

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 02:00:51 »
Alright, that's what I thought.

Since they took the feet out of the bag for my inspection photo they might just forgot to put it into my package.

Edit: Superbuy told me they'll contact the seller about the missing parts. In the end I don't know but also don't care if the seller screwed up or Superbuy, as long as I get them.

I was really lucky to find this thread, because I had no idea what I was even supposed to get at all. I only knew about the big items, the case, PCB and plate, since I just Google Translated the taobao page (which isn't completely accurate or legible).
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2017, 03:38:57 by pfandartikel »

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:03:16 »
Alright, that's what I thought.

Since they took the feet out of the bag for my inspection photo they might just forgot to put it into my package.

Edit: Superbuy told me they'll contact the seller about the missing parts. In the end I don't know but also don't care if the seller screwed up or Superbuy, as long as I get them.

I was really lucky to find this thread, because I had no idea what I was even supposed to get at all. I only knew about the big items, the case, PCB and plate, since I just Google Translated the taobao page (which isn't completely accurate or legible).

If you don't have luck getting them to send replacements, I believe these are the same feet: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/19-aluminium-legs.html

Offline jKaw

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:06:11 »
Switchtop.com sells those exact aluminum feet as well.

Offline pfandartikel

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:22:52 »
Thanks, but the feet seem to be the easiest thing to get. I already ordered some yesterday before I realized they were supposed to be included, and canceled that order again.

I have no idea what the screws and standoffs are and where I would got some. I hope Superbuy gets the missing parts from the seller and sends them to me.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 14:44:58 »
I have no idea what the screws and standoffs are and where I would got some. I hope Superbuy gets the missing parts from the seller and sends them to me.

Screws that attach the PCB to the standoffs are M2 x 5.0mm.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M2x5mm-Stainless-Machine-Screws/dp/B01NBHZVAO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1497555842&sr=8-7&keywords=m2+x+5mm

Offline pfandartikel

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 17:12:42 »
Thanks!

I'll still wait a while (need to wait anyway, just ordered some LEDs for the switches from China) and hope Superbuy gets back to me.

I take it, the standoffs are just the 5 on the inside of the case, nothing separate that was in the bag with the screws?