Author Topic: Loose Bro cap  (Read 4285 times)

Offline TeeBaginDragon

Loose Bro cap
« on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:14:44 »
Hi guys,

I won a corrupted defender from the Bro invasion sale and I realized that the stem is way too loose.  If I turn the board on its side or upside down the cap will fall right off.  I have opened a support ticket on ctrl alt io (hopefully they get back to me lol) but in the mean time is there anything I can do to fix this or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance!
CODE Clears 87

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Loose Bro cap
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:17:56 »
Why are you tilting your board on its side?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:18:28 »
It would be a little tighter if you put a small rubber band around the stem halves. But I don't know of any more clean solutions. The one I got doesn't stay on MX by itself either.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:19:41 »
Hi guys,

I won a corrupted defender from the Bro invasion sale and I realized that the stem is way too loose.  If I turn the board on its side or upside down the cap will fall right off.  I have opened a support ticket on ctrl alt io (hopefully they get back to me lol) but in the mean time is there anything I can do to fix this or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be a common issue with those, I'd try some tape on the stem to see if that solves it.

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:26:15 »
Why are you tilting your board on its side?

Well I just wanted to see how loose it was, I promise I don't type sideways lol  :))

It would be a little tighter if you put a small rubber band around the stem halves. But I don't know of any more clean solutions. The one I got doesn't stay on MX by itself either.

Would an o-ring or 2 do the trick or does it have to be a particular band?

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be a common issue with those, I'd try some tape on the stem to see if that solves it.

Could you please clarify what you mean by tape on the stem?  I assume I add some tape to the switch stem?
CODE Clears 87

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:36:12 »
Take a small piece of Scotch tape, place it over the stem hole and push the cap onto the board like normal.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:54:29 »
Or cling wrap.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:01:20 »
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, unfortunately those RAMA and Bro TMX stems were a dud. I traded mine pretty quick. You will have to get some tape or something if you plan to keep it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:16:06 by ArchDill »

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:13:58 »
I pressed together both ends of the tmx stem for a couple of minutes and my stem was fine after, still works today.
| ISO |

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:14:22 »
Take a small piece of Scotch tape, place it over the stem hole and push the cap onto the board like normal.

Got it, thanks!

Or cling wrap.

Will try this as well!

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Yeqah, unfortunately those RAMA and Bro TMX stems were a dud. I traded mine pretty quick. You will have to get some tape or something if you plan to keep it.

Yeah it seems like it.  I also had a power core which I sold.  Never tested it on my board but the girl who bought it said that she had to jam it onto her board with a lot of force...I guess its either too tight or too loose...  :(

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it! :thumb:
CODE Clears 87

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:15:20 »
I pressed together both ends of the tmx stem for a couple of minutes and my stem was fine after, still works today.

Thanks for the info!  I'll give this a try first and it seems like the best long term solution.  Did you use anything special to clam the stem or just your fingers?
CODE Clears 87

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:17:52 »

Thanks for the info!  I'll give this a try first and it seems like the best long term solution.  Did you use anything special to clam the stem or just your fingers?

Pure finger power :thumb: Using tweezers or some other tool would probably dent or damage the stem.
| ISO |

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:23:06 »
If I recall I think Bro said there were some loose-ness issues with the first round of caps that went out from that sale, then the stem design was modified? Something like that.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:48:50 »

Pure finger power :thumb: Using tweezers or some other tool would probably dent or damage the stem.

Sounds good, time to get a finger workout in then! lol  :))

If I recall I think Bro said there were some loose-ness issues with the first round of caps that went out from that sale, then the stem design was modified? Something like that.

Interesting, I was probably one of the last to get the defenders but perhaps I got a round 1 cap.  Been looking over some past posts about their support and I'm now pretty sure I won't hear back from them lol gonna use the finger method or other methods above.  But who knows, maybe I will get a replacement from them...lol
CODE Clears 87

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 16:10:54 »

Sounds good, time to get a finger workout in then! lol  :))

Please report back how it went!
| ISO |

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 16:26:05 »

Interesting, I was probably one of the last to get the defenders but perhaps I got a round 1 cap.  Been looking over some past posts about their support and I'm now pretty sure I won't hear back from them lol gonna use the finger method or other methods above.  But who knows, maybe I will get a replacement from them...lol

well colour me offended
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:17:18 »

well colour me offended

I didn't mean to offend you, especially given how fast you emailed back (posted this before I saw your reply btw).  I was merely basing my assumption from previous posts I had seen in some of the bro caps threads where it seemed that support took ages and some times no reply given.  Obvious this is not the case given your response time and I do sincerely apologize if I offended you in anyway.  Thanks to you I am now in touch with bro and seeing what can be done.  Again my sincerest apologies and thanks for your help!
CODE Clears 87

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:21:39 »

well colour me offended

I didn't mean to offend you, especially given how fast you emailed back (posted this before I saw your reply btw).  I was merely basing my assumption from previous posts I had seen in some of the bro caps threads where it seemed that support took ages and some times no reply given.  Obvious this is not the case given your response time and I do sincerely apologize if I offended you in anyway.  Thanks to you I am now in touch with bro and seeing what can be done.  Again my sincerest apologies and thanks for your help!

its all good sir, im just joking, was just funny as i saw this thread like 30 mins after replying lol

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:31:03 »

well colour me offended

its all good sir, im just joking, was just funny as i saw this thread like 30 mins after replying lol

Whew!  :eek: it was funny for me as well cause I saw your email later, felt like a **** and I couldn't find a way to send you an email back (i guess cause the ticket was closed out and I assumed that the email it was sent from was one of those no-reply emails) then suddenly here we are LOL again thanks for the help.  Like you mentioned, it looks like nothing can be done so I'll figure out a way to make it work...
CODE Clears 87

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:39:23 »

well colour me offended

Whew!  :eek: it was funny for me as well cause I saw your email later, felt like a **** and I couldn't find a way to send you an email back (i guess cause the ticket was closed out and I assumed that the email it was sent from was one of those no-reply emails) then suddenly here we are LOL again thanks for the help.  Like you mentioned, it looks like nothing can be done so I'll figure out a way to make it work...

the little piece of baggy trick is whats always been the best solution for me on loose ccaps ive had in the past

just a very small square, probably like 7mm each way, something like that, just rest it on top of the cross on the stem of the switch and then push the cap straight down, obviously its not as ideal as the cap just fitting right out of the bag, but once its on you would never know teh difference

sadly there are a ton of mx switches out there now and tolerances and fitments can all be slightly different, so whilst a cap will fit well on one switch, it may be very loose or very tight on others

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:53:51 »

well colour me offended

the little piece of baggy trick is whats always been the best solution for me on loose ccaps ive had in the past

just a very small square, probably like 7mm each way, something like that, just rest it on top of the cross on the stem of the switch and then push the cap straight down, obviously its not as ideal as the cap just fitting right out of the bag, but once its on you would never know teh difference

sadly there are a ton of mx switches out there now and tolerances and fitments can all be slightly different, so whilst a cap will fit well on one switch, it may be very loose or very tight on others

Thats what bro just mentioned to me, apparently the caps are loose are zealios/gateron switches :( anyways I'll try out the pinch thing and if that doesn't work then I'll use the bag as a solution.  Thanks again for all your help!
CODE Clears 87

Offline Sissy

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 20:01:54 »
Ye mine is loose aswell I just assumed it was because the new design in stem. I just added a bit of paper into it and it tighten it up. amazing looking cap regardless of that though