Author Topic: 75% style 60% (60% with F-row)  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Trente

75% style 60% (60% with F-row)
« on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 01:57:59 »
This is some kind of weird 75% layout combined with HHKB like layout. Just want to see if any one has any good idea bout making this better? The layout bottom row likes this is because I am trying to make a flexible bottom row for 7U and 6.25U spacebar. Though I called it 75% but it is basically a modified ISO 60% plus a F-row as I sometimes find them useful.

Design 1
163804-0
163806-1

Design 2
163820-2
163826-3

Design 3
163824-4
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 05:07:34 by Trente »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Some sort of HHKB like 75%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 02:02:26 »
I feel like one of the draws to 75% is having an arrow cluster. Not sure how useful it is without one because you can re-map all of those other keys to fn layer.

Offline Trente

Re: Some sort of HHKB like 75%
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 02:30:05 »
I feel like one of the draws to 75% is having an arrow cluster. Not sure how useful it is without one because you can re-map all of those other keys to fn layer.

That's totally true, I will definitely work on this. The reason I remove this is because I was trying to make something looks new? (But seems I messed this up for now. )  One thing I want to point out is that this board is actually still 60% board's width, but just one more row.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: 75% style 60% (60% with F-row)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:26:54 »
I've thought about an hhkb styled keyboad with F row and think it could be attractive to some. But maybe something like this (too lazy to fix the top row)? Putting backspace so far above is really not HHKB-like.

One think I dislike about 75% is the seven keys that sits on the right side and right top but then again there's no way of getting rid of to use a standard keyset or making the board looks just plain weird.

The closest I've come to getting rid of those keys and still have width like a 60% is making something like this but the left shift is 2u and that is rare af (can be found on Minila Air or Cherry G80-18000 as far as I know).
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Trente

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:56:35 »
One think I dislike about 75% is the seven keys that sits on the right side and right top but then again there's no way of getting rid of to use a standard keyset or making the board looks just plain weird.
I can totally understand this, but as I start to use more Home/end and Page up/down, I find them really useful and I really want them on my board. One thing that bugs me most when I am getting these layout is the top right corner of the first two row. I don't really know what would look nice to put next to the F row, and how should I size the backspace. As I want a comfortable backspace with enough length, I ends up putting a 2u backspace at the very top right corner. But another though in my mind is I can space out F row as what you showed and put an artisan spot for even do a blocker at the top right corner as TGR's 65% did.

The closest I've come to getting rid of those keys and still have width like a 60% is making something like this but the left shift is 2u and that is rare af (can be found on Minila Air or Cherry G80-18000 as far as I know).

This looks really nice, but one thing I can't get would be the home end page up/down.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 07:11:11 »
I can totally understand this, but as I start to use more Home/end and Page up/down, I find them really useful and I really want them on my board. One thing that bugs me most when I am getting these layout is the top right corner of the first two row. I don't really know what would look nice to put next to the F row, and how should I size the backspace. As I want a comfortable backspace with enough length, I ends up putting a 2u backspace at the very top right corner. But another though in my mind is I can space out F row as what you showed and put an artisan spot for even do a blocker at the top right corner as TGR's 65% did.

This looks really nice, but one thing I can't get would be the home end page up/down.

About the home/end and pageUp/pageDown - yes, those are valuable keys and I use them a lot myself. but they're right besides my hhkb arrow cluster. I don't own a 75% keyboard myself so I can't vouch if the extra column for these keys are a comfortable place or not. Trying it out in my head (pressed air in that place with my pinky :D) makes me think it's good spot though.

Either way, make the layout as comfortable as you'd like it to be for YOU. Even if it doesn't go as planned and there's not a lot of traction to make a GB, you can make it a hand-wired or a custom just for yourself.

Ok, gotta work but I'll follow this thread and try to comment on stuff. Don't feel discouraged if some people feel it's not a good layout for them. :)

P.S. Don't forget that you can use Fn layers even if it's for 2 or 3 keys. :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 07:13:32 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar