Author Topic: Matias Quiet Linear(Red) vs Cherry Mx Reds  (Read 3358 times)

Offline okan

Matias Quiet Linear(Red) vs Cherry Mx Reds
« on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:57:17 »
Hey there,

Does anyone tried both? I was about to order mx reds but read a lot about the scratchiness of them. I don't have the opportunity to try them out..Actually what i'm looking for is a very light switch without the scratchiness and no bumps either (no-topre=too expensive for me).  Also, how is the built quality of KBParadise?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: Matias Quiet Linear(Red) vs Cherry Mx Reds
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:47:34 »
Matias linears are a lot smoother than Cherry MX red, however if this is your first mechanical keyboard, you may not really notice the difference.

KB Paradise makes great keyboards, just keep in mind that almost all keycaps produced for our niche in the electronics industry is made for keyboards with MX type switches. If you ever want to make your keyboard aesthetically pleasing, you'll be out of luck.

I would suggest looking at keyboards that have Gateron MX switches in them. They are known to be smoother than Cherry MX.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:56:01 »
merlin is right.

If you want lots of keycap choices, then go with Gateron Reds which are nice and smooth. If you go with a KBP and Matias reds, your keycap choices will be very limited. There are a few boring Alps keycap sets from Tai Hao you can buy, but that's about it, except for...wait for it...

There is the LightCycle DSA set that is currently in the group buy stage and still available for ordering (until the end of the month). On a KBP V60 mini, it would look basically like this:
163881-0

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:05:32 »
Too bad that light cycle case has no optional sets. You're in for all or nothing.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:07:49 »
save up for topre. if you really hate it you can resell it for close to what you paid.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline cutterline

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:14:57 »
Is this your first mech keyboard?
If yes, I'll suggest trying some switches first by buying individual switches, switch tester, or try it on a shop because you probably will misunderstand what 'very light switch' means. Very light switch would be topre 30g or its clone and gateron clear.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 18:53:47 »
If you're looking for a light and smooth linear switch for your first mechanical just settle with a KBP board with Gateron reds and call it a day. It's a solid keyboard and has a standard layout so you can replace the keycaps to your hearts content.

My only problems with the KBP are rattly stabs and crappy stock keycaps but this is a problem with most keyboards in the price range and both can easily be fixed.

Offline okan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:37:34 »
Nope this won't be my first mechanical keyboard. Already own Filco Browns and Blues..I bought a steelseries mx black 2 weeks ago..i hated steelseries but i liked the linear switch(mx black) so much :P