Author Topic: Dell AT101W with dim Num Lock light and other problems  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Keycap

Dell AT101W with dim Num Lock light and other problems
« on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:34:36 »
My Dell AT101W has a very faint Num Lock light, dim enough to make it hard to distinguish whether or not it's on in certain cases. I've also noticed that the keyboard sometimes just stops working out of nowhere. It starts working again if you restart the PC, but still, it's quite annoying. It has been like this ever since I got it.

This is what it looks like:
160492-0
160494-1

What I'd like to know is if the random shutting down has anything to do with the dim LED, and how to fix this. It has only ever failed on me three times, but that's enough to make me question why it's happening in the first place. What's also weird is that the LEDs are all at different levels of brightness. The Scroll Lock LED is brighter than the Caps Lock LED, and the Caps Lock LED is much brighter than the Num Lock LED. Seems to me like the keyboard is having a hard time getting enough power, maybe a blown capacitor is what's causing this?

All help is appreciated, thanks :)

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
Re: Dell AT101W with dim Num Lock light and other problems
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 20:39:01 »
Time for an internal examination, with pics of course.  :p :o
I'm not familiar with the AT101, so could be as you say, some bad caps.
Could be other possibilities like the current limited resistors going out of tolerance, the leds themselves, or if they are multiplexed and the NumLock isn't being held on long enough.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:47:54 »
I had an old keyboard with one dim LED. The only problem was that the leads of that LED were bent slightly so that one wasn't shining directly through the window.
REΛLFORCE

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:17:52 »
I had an old keyboard with one dim LED. The only problem was that the leads of that LED were bent slightly so that one wasn't shining directly through the window.
Yes, that's what I'm betting on, too. Why it fails from time to time, no idea.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 23:47:27 »
Any of the caps look like they're leaking?

Offline catawalks

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 17:37:43 »
Yes, that's what I'm betting on, too. Why it fails from time to time, no idea.

The LED's on those boards are little rectangular shaped ones that can easily be bent out of alignment. On the inside of the case, the window has a surround that the rectangular LED is supposed to slide up into. If they are out by just a little when putting the top case back on the LED won't slide back into the surround but rather will slide to either the top or the bottom and not shine directly out of the little window making it look dim.

Offline Keycap

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 12:52:38 »
Sorry about the long reply, I've been doing other things lately. I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely not a bent LED, as it looks dim even without the casing. Tried bending it but it's still dim.

In light:
163993-0

In dark:
163995-1

At this point, I'm guessing it is a faulty capacitor. Time to get the multimeter out!