Author Topic: [IC] Warbler 60% Case (Design Updated)  (Read 16905 times)

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] Warbler 60% Case
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 07:38:04 »
I'M KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!  :'(

Edit: snevok #1!

Bless up.  It'll come eventually, school has just been pretty busy lately.  Will post updates as soon as something worthwhile happens!

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 17:46:59 »
I'M KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!  :'(

Edit: snevok #1!

Bless up.  It'll come eventually, school has just been pretty busy lately.  Will post updates as soon as something worthwhile happens!

Looking forward to it! Good luck with school, bud! (:

Offline snevok

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 07:47:22 »
Any thoughts/feedback on the new design?  Top half and bottom half are different colors to show how the halves fit together, and the light grey parts are acrylic for underglow.  I wanted to keep the clean KMAC look, while also keeping the design interesting with some angles.  Front has been shortened to 0.75", and the angle has been increased to 7.5 degrees. 

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 07:49:34 by snevok »

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:24:21 »
Any thoughts/feedback on the new design?  Top half and bottom half are different colors to show how the halves fit together, and the light grey parts are acrylic for underglow.  I wanted to keep the clean KMAC look, while also keeping the design interesting with some angles.  Front has been shortened to 0.75", and the angle has been increased to 7.5 degrees. 

Show Image

Sheeeesh, looks nice!

Is it possible to use with the acrylic as well? (I'm guessing not due to the design, but still curious!)

Offline snevok

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:30:56 »

Show Image

Sheeeesh, looks nice!

Is it possible to use with the acrylic as well? (I'm guessing not due to the design, but still curious!)

Not really sure I understand your question 100%, but I should've made this more clear in the picture.  The light gray circled things are the acrylic pieces for underglow. 

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:46:51 »

Show Image

Sheeeesh, looks nice!

Not really sure I understand your question 100%, but I should've made this more clear in the picture.  The light gray circled things are the acrylic pieces for underglow. 
Show Image

Whoops, sorry, I didn't have my coffee yet, that was an error on my end.

I meant if it's possible to use without the acrylic. From the looks of it, it's mandatory, but I was still curious. (:
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:02:41 by Unforgivable »

Offline snevok

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:57:04 »

Show Image

Sheeeesh, looks nice!

Show Image

Whoops, sorry, I didn't have my coffee yet, that was a an error on my end.

I meant if it's possible to use without the acrylic. From the looks of it, it's mandatory, but I was still curious. (:

I've been toying  around with the idea of metal inserts that are interchangeable with the acrylic inserts, which could look pretty cool. Less likely but still possible, there might be two revisions of the case, one withs spaces for inserts and one without.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:24:40 »

Show Image

Sheeeesh, looks nice!

Show Image

Whoops, sorry, I didn't have my coffee yet, that was a an error on my end.

I've been toying  around with the idea of metal inserts that are interchangeable with the acrylic inserts, which could look pretty cool. Less likely but still possible, there might be two revisions of the case, one withs spaces for inserts and one without.

That would be so cool. I really like the new design. I think Kin is using something similar too for his TX1800V2 and gaskets (metal inserts). The new design looks clean and simple, until you look at the side, and bam! That slant!

Two revisions? YES! That'll make me want two boards...but hey, one can never have enough!

Offline Robotical

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:32:48 »
I can't tell from your picture, but do the planes of the acrylic match up?

It looks like the top of the acrylic on the back matches up with the bottom of the front acrylic.

Offline snevok

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:42:44 »
I can't tell from your picture, but do the planes of the acrylic match up?

Show Image

It looks like the top of the acrylic on the back matches up with the bottom of the front acrylic.

The planes don't match up, the front acrylic is higher up than the back acrylic.  Between the angle and the way the cases connect though, I personally like the look of the staggered planes, but other people might not be so keen on it.  That's one reason feedback is appreciated, since different people have different ideas of what looks good and what doesn't.

Offline Hako

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:50:41 »
Personally, I don't really like this new design, the old one was much better. Is there any chance that you will still produce that one?

Offline snevok

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:53:41 »
Personally, I don't really like this new design, the old one was much better. Is there any chance that you will still produce that one?

Note taken.  Do you like the design without the acrylic inserts better? 

Offline Hako

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:58:51 »
Not really, the angles look unnecessarily messy to me and I prefer just having a straight line between the two halves. Plus I liked having the hammer-esque cutouts which look good and give you something to hold onto when picking up the keyboard.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:59:07 »

Show Image

I like this design. The acrylic I would need to see how they work in the profile of the case before I could make a call on whether or not I like them. Is the top part of the case (dark gray) wider than the bottom part (light gray) of the case at all? You could do some nifty things with the acrylic if that was the case. If they are not, I kind of would lean towards the design in the quote.

Offline snevok

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:12:04 »

Show Image

I like this design. The acrylic I would need to see how they work in the profile of the case before I could make a call on whether or not I like them. Is the top part of the case (dark gray) wider than the bottom part (light gray) of the case at all? You could do some nifty things with the acrylic if that was the case. If they are not, I kind of would lean towards the design in the quote.

The top case and bottom case are the same width, so they would lie flush with each other.

Not really, the angles look unnecessarily messy to me and I prefer just having a straight line between the two halves. Plus I liked having the hammer-esque cutouts which look good and give you something to hold onto when picking up the keyboard.

That makes sense, and I do see where you're coming from.  I'll be experimenting some more with the design tonight, and I'll post what I come up with.  I originally went with this angled design so that only one thickness of metal would be needed for the top case and bottom case, but thinking back I don't really know if it would make much of a difference.  Check back on this thread tonight for more updates and design ideas and see if anything catches your eye.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:03:58 »
Please keep original hammer design with kmac style, and make acrylic optional for people to choose

I dont like the new design, it looks weird with that angle between top and bottom
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:51:41 by BlackInk »

Offline snevok

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:13:39 »
Please keep original hammer design with kmac style, and make acrylic optional for people to choose

I dont like the new design, it looks weird what that angle between top and bottom

Note taken, and I agree.  I was just messing around with designs to see what's possible since some people said they wanted underglow.  I will most likely end up going with a design very similar to the original, probably without underglow though to keep it as clean as possible

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 00:08:04 »
Any upate? I checked back but didnt see the final design tho

Offline snevok

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 00:10:38 »
Any upate? I checked back but didnt see the final design tho

Needed to take care of some personal issues this weekend , didn't have any time to work on the case :(. I should be able to do some this week though.

Offline lundmore

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 06:01:08 »
Brilliant case!

I'm all for making it shorter.. The shorter the better actually.
+1 for acrylic diffuser add-on too.
As for the design, I like option 1 the most so far.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 09:46:08 »
The more I look at these amazing designs, the more I like them. If two options are available, my choices would be:

1) Plain and simple like the OTD365/Kmac
2) Hammer edition

-Both with changeable tops (60%, HHKB, Winkeyless)
-Optional Diffusor (No changes to the design, this would just be 100% optional).

If you're able to get brass plates, they would be some pretty amazing stuff.

Brass, carbon, aluminum, steel plates. The works!

Can't wait to see what else you come up with, Snev! :)

Offline snevok

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 19:35:49 »
OP updated with a revised design from feedback.  Again, welcome to any and all criticism!

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:09:25 »
I think I like the second picture in the OP more. May be due to the fact it looks like there's a slight two tone color scheme going on. I think that'd look pretty cool with a darker metal top and a lighter metal base or vice versa.

Either way, I like the work you're putting into this, and I'm saving up now for when it becomes available.

Offline snevok

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:13:22 »
I think I like the second picture in the OP more. May be due to the fact it looks like there's a slight two tone color scheme going on. I think that'd look pretty cool with a darker metal top and a lighter metal base or vice versa.

Either way, I like the work you're putting into this, and I'm saving up now for when it becomes available.

That two tone look was just to show the angles in the case design.  Options for different color tops and bottoms should be available for the final product, but most people will most likely go with the same top and bottom color.

Thanks for the support though!  I'll make sure to keep up with this project and get to the final buy soon(tm) enough!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:20:30 »

That two tone look was just to show the angles in the case design.  Options for different color tops and bottoms should be available for the final product, but most people will most likely go with the same top and bottom color.

Thanks for the support though!  I'll make sure to keep up with this project and get to the final buy soon(tm) enough!

Yes dont keep this IC going for too long because people will get bore and top following

Offline Hako

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:25:31 »
I like the second one, but would prefer it without acrylic. Will that still be an option?

Offline snevok

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:33:55 »
I like the second one, but would prefer it without acrylic. Will that still be an option?

Are you talking about the second picture in the OP, or the second revision?  Either way, an option for no acrylic will most likely be available.  If that's not possible for some reason, there will be the option for metal inserts to take the place of the acrylic inserts. 

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 21:11:16 »
I would prefer the case without acrylic, if it doesn't happen then i would like to see brass as an option for metal insert? that would be really cool

+1 for keeping the hammer design, but somehow....... i feel like the cut out on the bottom is too deep which makes it almost touch the gap between top and bottom piece (maybe we can make the top piece of the case a little shorter and the bottom a little taller?) just some idea

Will the final design of the brass weight be showing out on the bottom of the case instead inside of the case?

Offline snevok

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 21:25:21 »
I would prefer the case without acrylic, if it doesn't happen then i would like to see brass as an option for metal insert? that would be really cool

+1 for keeping the hammer design, but somehow....... i feel like the cut out on the bottom is too deep which makes it almost touch the gap between top and bottom piece (maybe we can make the top piece of the case a little shorter and the bottom a little taller?) just some idea

Will the final design of the brass weight be showing out on the bottom of the case instead inside of the case?

It would actually be easier to make the case without the acrylic inserts, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  Based on how I'm planning to go about the buy, slight variations in the cases shouldn't be hard to do. 

I agree with you on the Hammer design.  I'll work on trying to fix it, but I can't make the bottom taller without redoing the whole design.  Worst case scenario, Hammer bottom becomes not available :(

Goal is to have the weight on the inside of the case for sturdiness, but have a little bit poke through the bottom of the case. 

Right now, I have something like this, but that design was just to test to see if it would be possible.  It's easy to change that design though, and I'll be putting something more interesting and meaningful on the final design.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 08:52:32 »

It would actually be easier to make the case without the acrylic inserts, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  Based on how I'm planning to go about the buy, slight variations in the cases shouldn't be hard to do. 

I agree with you on the Hammer design.  I'll work on trying to fix it, but I can't make the bottom taller without redoing the whole design.  Worst case scenario, Hammer bottom becomes not available :(

Goal is to have the weight on the inside of the case for sturdiness, but have a little bit poke through the bottom of the case. 

Show Image

Right now, I have something like this, but that design was just to test to see if it would be possible.  It's easy to change that design though, and I'll be putting something more interesting and meaningful on the final design.

Yeah, I think it should be flush, like the OTD365 Mini (no mandatory acrylic). If anything, a little add on can be provided like Revo did with the RJ, for acrylic.

Would it be possible to make the top front a bit lower? I'm not sure if it's just the picture, but the front looks a bit too tall to use without a wrist rest.

Keep up the amazing work, Snev! Can't wait to see the weight design!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 08:54:59 by Unforgivable »

Offline snevok

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 09:38:34 »

Show Image

Yeah, I think it should be flush, like the OTD365 Mini (no mandatory acrylic). If anything, a little add on can be provided like Revo did with the RJ, for acrylic.

Would it be possible to make the top front a bit lower? I'm not sure if it's just the picture, but the front looks a bit too tall to use without a wrist rest.

So far, that's what my plan is.  Have the case be clean by default, with an add on for underglow support, as well as an addon for Hammer sides.

It's only 0.1" taller than 0.75" at 0.85".  It's still a tall front, but it's a lot better than a whole 1" tall.  I could probably lower the front a little bit, but I would have to drop flat bottom support, as well as support for a 5mm acrylic plate.  Underglow support on the front would also have to be dropped, but it could be kept on the sides. 

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:39:34 »

Show Image

So far, that's what my plan is.  Have the case be clean by default, with an add on for underglow support, as well as an addon for Hammer sides.

It's only 0.1" taller than 0.75" at 0.85".  It's still a tall front, but it's a lot better than a whole 1" tall.  I could probably lower the front a little bit, but I would have to drop flat bottom support, as well as support for a 5mm acrylic plate.  Underglow support on the front would also have to be dropped, but it could be kept on the sides.

Could an 8 degree angle be considered? It'll add more heft and solve a few problems I think. Sending you a few pictures of the angles.

Offline snevok

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 15:30:40 »

Show Image

Could an 8 degree angle be considered? It'll add more heft and solve a few problems I think. Sending you a few pictures of the angles.

Replied to you with a pretty lengthy response.  Should clear up some of the reasoning for why I did what with the new design. 

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
Re: [IC] Warbler 60% Case (Design Updated)
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 14:54:38 »
any news on this case?

Offline snevok

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 16:05:11 »
any news on this case?

None yet.  There have been some delays on going forward (some personal stuff), but it should be sorted out within the next two weeks or so, and progress will continue after that.  Sorry for the long drawn out process with little to no progress, but there's just been some speed bumps that take priority over this project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:58:59 by snevok »

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:17:03 »
old design pleaaaaaaaseeeee  :'(

Offline snevok

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:29:30 »
old design pleaaaaaaaseeeee  :'(

Here's the design without the LED cutouts.  Design still looks rough, but like I said, the process was delayed a little, so no progress has been made since the last update.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:31:31 by snevok »

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:42:59 »
i mean the one from the interest form sheet :(

Offline snevok

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:46:51 »
i mean the one from the interest form sheet :(

Only difference between the two designs is the taller top frame and the weird feet.  What's bugging you about the new design?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:49:04 »
I like the case but I am not interested in acrylic spacer or LEDs.

Offline snevok

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:53:28 »
I like the case but I am not interested in acrylic spacer or LEDs.

Case will be available with or without acrylic spacer and LEDs.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:50:08 »
my wallet cries but this is such a sick looking case. Good work!

Now I gotta check if it's compatible with my dream 60% pcb...