Author Topic: Lack of SA keycaps  (Read 10883 times)

Offline zslane

Re: Lack of SA keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 13:49:29 »
Anyway I prefer uniform profile which lets you move around to different layout. Fully sculptered, you have to stick with a conventional layout. I was window shopping that Matt30 SA set now active on massdrop, and if you have a non conventional layout you need to pay quite a lot more to get keycaps of your profile.

Sure, I totally get the advantages of uniform R3. I have Ice Cap SA on one of my Pok3rs, in fact. I'm just saying that even though you and I like it, the fact remains that the majority of folks out there aren't looking for uniform R3 when they are looking for SA sets. It just isn't as popular, despite being more friendly to alternate layouts. And that's not surprising; alternate layouts are not commonly used, and so uniform profile SA sets are going to appeal to a very select few (relatively speaking). That doesn't make SA difficult to sell, it just makes uniform SA difficult to sell.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:12:24 »
I think the community or at least fair parts of it, at times, has seemed to forget that full size and TKL ANSI keyboards are a huge chunk of the mech board market.  Plenty of Chinese cap makers seem to have no problems regularly selling round after round designed around only those types of keyboards.

Offline dantan

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:01:27 »
I think the community or at least fair parts of it, at times, has seemed to forget that full size and TKL ANSI keyboards are a huge chunk of the mech board market.  Plenty of Chinese cap makers seem to have no problems regularly selling round after round designed around only those types of keyboards.

No matter how people may praise GMK for quality or SP for being friendly, they make very, very few keycaps compared to the Chinese.

It is Chinese mass production that makes variety, availability and price good for all.

Offline zslane

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 00:29:05 »
It is Chinese mass production that makes variety, availability and price good for all.

And also largely eliminates the need for anyone to buy someone else's used SA set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:18:55 »

No matter how people may praise GMK for quality or SP for being friendly, they make very, very few keycaps compared to the Chinese.

Well, there's a bit of a "you get what you pay for" situation going on with Chinese caps.  They can get pretty low quality.  Also realize that GMK and SP are just two companies compared to the larger number number of Chinese companies making caps.