Author Topic: Hello from Ohio  (Read 1302 times)

Offline wintermute614

• Nitemare Cafe
Hello from Ohio
« on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 17:30:04 »
Hi all! My normal handle, wintermute, is way too common these days and is already in use, so I did what we did back before the Internet, and appended my area code to my handle ;)

I picked up an IBM M keyboard off of eBay a couple of weeks ago for really cheap, not realizing just how many model M versions there are ;) Mine is a 122 key terminal keyboard with 240o 5-pin DIN connector. It's pretty clean for a keyboard manufactured in 1987. One of the Shift keys sticks occasionally (a good cleaning will probably resolve that), but otherwise it seems to be in excellent shape. Haven't tested it yet, though, as I don't have anything the DIN will plug into... So...

I'm going to do Soarer's adapter, probably externally, to get it going on a modern computer. I'm not concerned with resale value, so I briefly considered doing a similar mod using the GPIO pins of a RasPi Zero and doing it internally, so there would be a full Linux box inside the keyboard, but thought it's be more useful if I can move it from PC to PC ;) And I like having keyboard LEDs, so doing Soarer's adapter externally will give me those.