Author Topic: painted the previously flaking top shell of my Sensei MLG today...  (Read 6154 times)

Offline atarione

So... having had the Zowie ZA11 for a while now.. I like it mostly but the scroll wheel is hot garbage

So... I took my old sensei MLG apart and removed the flaking paint top cover off and sanded it and painted it today..

have to order new mice feet for it also... I kinda think I'm going back to the Sensei over the ZA11... I really don't understand how Zowie made such a garbage scroll wheel???

also I'm not great at painting things.. so getting to this point (still isn't "perfect" but it looks ok) was a comical series of errors... and also painting my thumb silver at one point..

Offline Bucake

Re: painted the previously flaking top shell of my Sensei MLG today...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 18:40:09 »
looks good! be sure to make a picture once assembled again :-)

how does the new coating/paint feel?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 23:25:58 »
what paint do you guys use which stands up to handling..

Everything i've ever painted tend to not be so hand-durable.

Offline atarione

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:11:35 »
ahahahahahaha... omg.. fml

sooo i decided to put the mouse back together.. looks pretty good... or at least it did  :(

I was trying to test it to make sure everything was working .. unplugged it got up to get something caught my foot on the cable flung mouse across room putting blemish on new finish.   :)

super frustrated now.. oh well i still have more spray paint   :D

my own fault for being clumbsy the paint is krylon fusion and they do say it can take a week for the paint to cure on plastic.. I should have been less clumsy and more patient I guess..

man .. this is ticking me off.. here is what the mouse looked like for 3 minutes before I messed it up again...
165576-0

Offline atarione

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:21:05 »
I'm really torn between super amused at what a cluster this last mishap was.. and annoyed.

mostly amused.. just unfreaking believable..

edit.. also the feel of the painted mouse is despite blemish now.. (I've already decided I'm taking it back apart and fixing it however..it will bug me too much to leave it) quite good.. smooth without being slippery and doesn't seem to be prone to getting sweaty..
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:29:22 by atarione »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:30:56 »
I've painted a mouse before, and unfortunately the finish wore off rather quickly.  But that was a budget RustOleum variety, not an expensive and highly toxic urethane paint.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 02:51:59 »
I've painted a mouse before, and unfortunately the finish wore off rather quickly.  But that was a budget RustOleum variety, not an expensive and highly toxic urethane paint.

yeah the more i read up on paint / finishes / coatings the more apparent it became that if you want a really good one, you're gonna want some proper protection as well. i decided that's where i stop reading :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 06:57:46 »

yeah the more i read up on paint / finishes / coatings the more apparent it became that if you want a really good one, you're gonna want some proper protection as well. i decided that's where i stop reading :D

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...  BOooooooooooomm....woooooooosh.... fuuuuuuuuu...

Offline atarione

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:41:33 »
this project has been interesting and comical ... I would say I have a lot more to learn but I have learned a number of things

1. if you want your mouse / keyboard painted... try to find a autobody shop that will do it when the have a color you like job going on... kinda tack your keyboard /mouse onto the rest of an auto spray job?

2.  Don't try to work on this project when impatient / hungry.. annoyed.. whatever.. just walk away

3.  Be patient .. do the sanding right.. do the paint right ..wait for stuff to dry

4. don't rush to get your project back together..

this is the paint I used

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Aluminum-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249128/100670427

and it does say it can take 1 week for maximum adhesion to plastics to occur... I just had to respray the freaking top shell because of my klutzing last night and the mouse taking a accidental trip across the room.

my plan now is to wait until the weekend to try to put the mouse back together and then to leave it for awhile after that to make sure the paint has cured as well as possible.

if it still doesn't work then **** I give up  :)

I'm hoping it works / cures stronger giving it more time.. because it looks pretty dang cool ..I think.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:44:13 »
It's not the adhesion so much, it's more that that kind of paint doesn't withstand being rubbed/hand oils/grime very well.  Auto-body shops usually have a minimum order amount or it's not worth for them painting your one small part.  So they could say "$200 minimum".  Unless you happen to find someone nice who will help just because, but that's been my experience.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:51:11 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:50:48 »
The best paint is none at all. Sand it off with fine sandpaper! :thumb:

Offline atarione

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:05:47 »
It's not the adhesion so much, it's more that that kind of paint doesn't withstand being rubbed/hand oils/grime very well.  Auto-body shops usually have a minimum order amount or it's not worth for them painting your one small part.  So they could say "$200 minimum".  Unless you happen to find someone nice who will help just because, but that's been my experience.

ah.. bummer.. I think in my case I know someone that would probably do it for me.. in honesty I should have asked them in the first place.

I guess I will see how this goes.. the finish felt pretty good last night..so I'm hoping it holds up giving it awhile longer to dry before trying to put the mouse back together..   

Offline atarione

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:33:13 »
so here is the end product.. relatively happy with how it turned out.. see how the paint holds up I guess.