Author Topic: [IC] UK78 - 60%+Numpad Keyboard - A British Custom - GB LIVE!  (Read 56043 times)

Offline decker

Re: [IC] UK78 - 60%+Numpad Keyboard - A British Custom
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 00:49:03 »
Very nice !

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 08:05:34 »
Could the PCB be cut down to a 60%? If so, would it fit a standard 60% case?

I have added a line and some holes to help guide the cutting of the PCB to fit a 60%, I based the dimensions off of the GH60 so it should fit standard 60% cases

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 08:12:59 »
I think matching the modifiers on Nautilus (Pantone 533 C) is a better idea.  The darker color will allow if to work well with other sets like Yuri, etc. Lighter blues limit visual compatibility to my eye.

Good point, I had forgotten Yuri uses dark blue. 533 C it is!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 08:36:13 »
Could the PCB be cut down to a 60%? If so, would it fit a standard 60% case?

I have added a line and some holes to help guide the cutting of the PCB to fit a 60%, I based the dimensions off of the GH60 so it should fit standard 60% cases

I'll keep an eye on it, if S&H to this side of the Atlantic are not that high I may consider getting a PCB, if available stand alone.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:47:13 »
Will there be a limit to the amount of orders available?

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:50:24 »
Will there be a limit to the amount of orders available?

There is no plan for a limit but if I get a much larger order than I am expecting then there will need to be longer wait times for shipping or split into two rounds.

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 13:01:00 »
This looks fantastic. At first, I was like: this would be my perfect layout if only it had the availability of putting 1u's for the entire numpad. Then I saw that it did. Damn, this is awesome.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:35:31 »
#southpawlivesmatter

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 16:02:19 »
#southpawlivesmatter

Southpaw could be an option for R2, not enough time to design a new PCB and test it before the Group Buy

Offline vladko95

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 18:55:42 »
Hey man I got a quick question, I'm kinda new here and I'm really interested in this case. You say that we will have the option for a fjell style case, that's the one with the chamfer edges correct?
Also if possible to offer the fire orage color to match with the gmk Yuri orange would be an instant buy for me, if thats possible it would be great. If not I saw that you plan to make a dark blue option and it will also look great :) thanks

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:45:32 »
Hey man I got a quick question, I'm kinda new here and I'm really interested in this case. You say that we will have the option for a fjell style case, that's the one with the chamfer edges correct?
Also if possible to offer the fire orage color to match with the gmk Yuri orange would be an instant buy for me, if thats possible it would be great. If not I saw that you plan to make a dark blue option and it will also look great :) thanks

Orange was a popular choice in the original questionnaire on reddit so I will definitely consider it.

If you are set on having the case in orange and it isn't a standard option send me a message and I will see how much extra it would be when the group buy opens.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 21:31:37 »
I think matching the modifiers on Nautilus (Pantone 533 C) is a better idea.  The darker color will allow if to work well with other sets like Yuri, etc. Lighter blues limit visual compatibility to my eye.

Good point, I had forgotten Yuri uses dark blue. 533 C it is!

Awesome.  And the dark blue in Yuri is awfully close to 533 C as well (looking at the color samples direct from GMK)
keyboards.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 08:05:48 »
I have just sent of a quote request for colours, RAL9005, Pantone 533 C, RAL7021, RAL2004 and Silver/Natural for Fjell and 1800 style cases. I will report back when I find out if the manufacturer is OK to run with those colours.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 13:04:16 »
Just to double check, will the resistors, diodes, etc. come presoldered? Back before you got a quote on the PCBs I remember you saying they currently weren't presoldered, but the first comment/post now says they do come presoldered. I'm a total beginner at building keyboards, so a presoldered PCB would be very good for me.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:24:11 »
Just to double check, will the resistors, diodes, etc. come presoldered? Back before you got a quote on the PCBs I remember you saying they currently weren't presoldered, but the first comment/post now says they do come presoldered. I'm a total beginner at building keyboards, so a presoldered PCB would be very good for me.

The PCB will come presoldered with all the components necessary for the PCB to function.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 08:11:20 »
Just an quick render of how the updated Blue and Orange Colours will look

168598-0

Offline breckstar

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:12:43 »
Looks pretty good. Hopefully can fuel my bb8/Dutch orange needs

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:07:13 »
Pricing Update

The Good:
  • I now have reliable quotes for the different options(+-£10) Check the main post for info
  • Brass switchplates can be an option for £10 more than SS or Aluminum

The Bad:

• The fullsize base costs a lot(more than the top case) unless we get an MOQ of 50, it is then still £50 more than the single feet option

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:16:23 »
This is looking awesome. Any fuzzy ideas on the final price for a kit with no extras (just the case, plate, and PCB)? How would one go around reprogramming the keyboard?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:26:26 »
This is looking awesome. Any fuzzy ideas on the final price for a kit with no extras (just the case, plate, and PCB)? How would one go around reprogramming the keyboard?
Just updated the first post with pricing information, the keyboard uses QMK for programming.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:37:30 »
Case prices are pretty reasonable at the higher moq. Standard case with screw in feet is a good deal at any moq.
keyboards.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 11:49:06 »
Case prices are pretty reasonable at the higher moq. Standard case with screw in feet is a good deal at any moq.

The separated feet are the ones shown in the pictures attached, IMO they are a much better deal unless we hit an MOQ of 50.

Offline soilheart

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:43:54 »

The separated feet are the ones shown in the pictures attached, IMO they are a much better deal unless we hit an MOQ of 50.

As long as the feets are optional (not necessarily optional to purchase, just optional when assembling) I'm happy with the prices of any MOQ =)
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 13:13:07 »
This is so amazing. I might get 2. Keep up the excellent work! And I love that you're UK based... not much quality stuff coming out of here!

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 16:52:59 »
Just updated the first post with pricing information, the keyboard uses QMK for programming.

Many thanks! QMK makes me a happy man. :P

Some clarifications: The renders with a single slope on the bottom represent the 1800-esque case type? Fjell style will have the sloping on all sides as the original Fjell did (and with thicker edges)?

Are the "separate feet" and "fullsize base" whole separate cases or just addons for the 1800 or Fjell-style cases (as in 1800 and Fjell are the top and the feet/base is the bottom)?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 17:00:41 »

Many thanks! QMK makes me a happy man. :P

Some clarifications: The renders with a single slope on the bottom represent the 1800-esque case type? Fjell style will have the sloping on all sides as the original Fjell did (and with thicker edges)?

Are the "separate feet" and "fullsize base" whole separate cases or just addons for the 1800 or Fjell-style cases (as in 1800 and Fjell are the top and the feet/base is the bottom)?

You're correct with the cases, 1800 is single slope and Fjell is all sides.

The separate feet are two angled feet that screw into the case and the fullsized base is the same angle as the feet but spans the whole of the case.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:15:49 »

The separate feet are two angled feet that screw into the case and the fullsized base is the same angle as the feet but spans the whole of the case.

I'm still confused on the options. The price listed for fjell is for a top only or top + flat bottom?

Same with three separate feet. Does the $90 include just feet or is it for a flat bottom with removable feet?

Edit: upon reading again my presumption is that if I want a flat bottom case all I need to buy is a fjell or 1800 case. The feet price is just for custom feet. If this is true, is the case compatible with both the custom feet and regular screw on feet I can buy of massdrop or similar? The feet look good, but would have to think hard about spending 60% off the case cost on just feet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:22:05 by ChitownM2 »

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:20:27 »

I'm still confused on the options. The price listed for fjell is for a top only or top + flat bottom?

Same with three separate feet. Does the $90 include just feet or is it for a flat bottom with removable feet?

Sorry just changed it to make it clearer, the price was for just the top case and the feet is just for the feet

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:29:51 »
Got it. So I would have to buy fjell top, acrylic bottom, and then custom feet if I want them.

How thick is the acrylic base? If the feet are mounted to it it might flex and/or crack after a few years when the plastic becomes brittle.
  Nevermind, feet screw into the top and sandwich the acrylic so shouldn't be an issue.

Also, does the full size base replace the acrylic or are they just "feet" that happen to cover up all of the acrylic?

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:37:00 by ChitownM2 »

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 18:41:35 »
Got it. So I would have to buy fjell top, acrylic bottom, and then custom feet if I want them.

How thick is the acrylic base? If the feet are mounted to it it might flex and/or crack after a few years when the plastic becomes brittle.

Also, does the full size base replace the acrylic or are they just "feet" that happen to cover up all of the acrylic?
The acrylic base is 3mm thick and supported by the top case more than most sandwich cases so I don't expect the plastic to crack.
The full size base can be used with or without the acrylic base, in fact the separate feet could be used without the acrylic base too but you would have an exposed PCB, once the sample case turns up I will be able to test out if any combos produce any unexpected issues.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 13:27:56 »
Pleasantly surprised with the (very reasonable imo) pricing =]

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 13:36:58 »
Which case are you having a prototype made for? Fjell or 1800?

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 13:42:05 »
Which case are you having a prototype made for? Fjell or 1800?

The 1800 has been made and is being shipped to me tomorrow, the QC photo the manufacturer sent doesn't give a good idea of how it looks so I will post pictures when it arrives.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 17:22:36 »
Bad news about the PCBs:

The PCB manufacturer has informed me that they are unable to assemble the RGB leds or the microcontroller as they do not stock the parts, this leaves me with the issue of what is the best course of action to take...

Option 1: Find a new manufacturer who I have not used and increasing the cost of the PCB x2/3

Option 2: I handsolder the microcontroller and supply the RGB leds for you to solder/don't supply them saving you money or charge you a small fee to solder the LEDs for you.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:09:43 »
I assume they won't solder the parts even if you supply them?

If not I like option B but at the same time I was hoping we would hit an MOQ that doesn't really make that option feasible.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:15:20 »
I assume they won't solder the parts even if you supply them?

If not I like option B but at the same time I was hoping we would hit an MOQ that doesn't really make that option feasible.

Yep even If I supplied the parts, at an Moq of 50 the cost of the Pcb is still double.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:17:19 »
How hard is it to solder these parts?

Are they small?

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:34:52 »
How hard is it to solder these parts?

Are they small?

The Controller I won't have an issue soldering, the LEDs are 5050 size ie 5mmx5mm but most of the pads are on the underside of the component so can be a bit fiddly, not difficult just time consuming.

https://www.artekit.eu/wp-content/uploads/ws2812b_smd_main.jpg

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:56:14 »
Does the pcb cost increase by two or 3 times or is it 2/3?

I'd be willing to pay $15 more to feet those parts soldered by the mfr.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:59:22 »
Does the pcb cost increase by two or 3 times or is it 2/3?

I'd be willing to pay $15 more to feet those parts soldered by the mfr.

2 or 3 times the cost :/

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 20:41:40 »
I guess we need a serious count of how many people will really buy. If it ends up being 20 or less then maybe you could solder the parts prior to shipping but more than that makes it kind of a time consuming task for you.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 21:02:17 »
I will support this buy either way, just want to see it happen!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 23:26:31 »
There are other manufacturers available that wouldn't lead to a price increase.  Where are you looking for your source?
keyboards.

Offline decker

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 01:33:45 »
Hi, just wondering...
Maybe you could have more pleople interested if:

-You added the split space bar layout like 2.25 + 1 + 2.75 = 6 and 2.75 + 1.5 + 2.75 = 7.
-You added the fullsize right shift.

Good luck.
PS : I just bought an assembled Whitefox + Numpad, so I'm covered.
That and it was a pain to get AZERTY caps, so don't if all ever get another keyboard...

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 07:41:57 »
Hi, just wondering...
Maybe you could have more pleople interested if:

-You added the split space bar layout like 2.25 + 1 + 2.75 = 6 and 2.75 + 1.5 + 2.75 = 7.
-You added the fullsize right shift.

Good luck.
PS : I just bought an assembled Whitefox + Numpad, so I'm covered.
That and it was a pain to get AZERTY caps, so don't if all ever get another keyboard...
There is no room to add a split spacebar as the holes go straight through the microcontroller. There is a fullsize right shift option available.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 07:43:11 »
There are other manufacturers available that wouldn't lead to a price increase.  Where are you looking for your source?

I am getting quotes from PCBWay, Elecrow and PCBcart currently, if you know of any others then I would appreciate the help.

Offline soilheart

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 08:46:19 »

I am getting quotes from PCBWay, Elecrow and PCBcart currently, if you know of any others then I would appreciate the help.

I have a friend whove always spoken well about OSHPark, but they seem to be more for prototype boards looking at their homepage (which doesn't mention SMD soldering either...)
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 09:26:42 »

I have a friend whove always spoken well about OSHPark, but they seem to be more for prototype boards looking at their homepage (which doesn't mention SMD soldering either...)
OSHPark would cost near $100 for just the board without assembly they are only for small prototypes.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 11:16:49 »

Ahhh.  Look eastward my friend. Faaaar east :) I'll ask some people I know with recent prototypes who specifically they're working with.
keyboards.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:27:08 »
Perhaps getting the PCB manufactured in China is the best option. Keep the case and anodizing, etc in the UK.

After seeing the RSII option on MD today I can say that I definitely want the UK78 to come to fruition. I like everything about this board better.