Author Topic: Model F "Bigfoot"—why?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Model F "Bigfoot"—why?
« on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 19:28:56 »
Here's something I've always wondered: Why did IBM bother making "Bigfoot" Model F's—which are, as far as I know, just F-XTs in bigger cases?

XT

"Bigfoot"

Did the Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) come first, and the technology was such that they needed that much case? Or was the Bigfoot's larger bottom area intended as a wrist rest? Those are the only possibilities I can think of.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
Re: Model F "Bigfoot"—why?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 22:53:02 »
I'd guess it was simply for visuals.

They each fit the width of the computer they were intended to be used with. And they probably made the bezel larger to fit the rest of the aesthetic (and monster feet).

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2017, 22:54:34 by Aer Fixus »
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 01:11:05 »
Yes, I think it had a lot to do with the aesthetics back then. Like how nowadays the popular "aesthetic" is minimalist with sharp edges and black.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:03:26 »
Considering how sloped the case is on the IBM bigfoot, I always assumed it was a type of wrist rest. However, if you look at the pictures with their respective computers in them, you can see that the footprint of the keyboard closely matches that of the computer, which is, without a doubt, no coincidence. So because the Bigfoot's computer is bigger, they probably gave the keyboard a bigger footprint, just to keep it looking nice.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 13:39:23 »
I'm wondering where the Leading Edge DC2014 fits into the IBM Model F timeline. I'm assuming Leading Edge just made it a clone?

ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:10:23 »
It really was a stupid design decision with the bigfoot to put the monitor to the left. Maybe it looks appealing, but it's plain stupid. You'll always be looking to the left of you.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:45:48 »
I'm wondering where the Leading Edge DC2014 fits into the IBM Model F timeline. I'm assuming Leading Edge just made it a clone?

Show Image

I think just everyone and their dog copied IBM back then.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 04:59:49 »
The 'bigfoot' keyboards also differ by having multi-stage feet, a common feature on the Model F terminal keyboards (although I think the bigfoot was the only one with three-stage feet, as opposed to two)

These feet were presumably designed for people who were used to the steep-and-high angles found on the beam spring keyboards and were probably left out of the PC keyboards to A) save cost and B) you almost certainly would never want the higher angles unless you were used to the beam spring keyboards.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 05:54:07 »
Good points, y'all... The 5291 terminal would indeed have looked huge if it'd come with a relatively svelte board like the F-XT. So it makes sense that the Bigfoot was used to avoid ludicrously unbalanced proportions. This would also have been true for the Bigfoot-sized first Model F, which came with the similarly bulky 5322 System/23 Datamaster (which even had a bulky name).
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg