Author Topic: To Buy or Not To Buy - HHKB  (Read 6598 times)

Offline S.J.

To Buy or Not To Buy - HHKB
« on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:58:35 »
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of giving into my internal demons and plumping for a Happy Hacking keyboard... I have a CM Storm QFR with MX Blacks and I've sprayed it, got PBT caps blah blah blah, but it's just not doing it for me.  :(

What do you guys think?  Should I go for it?  FYI I've never used a Topre keyboard...  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:52:26 by S.J. »

Offline rm-rf

Re: To Buy or Not To But - HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:10:16 »
well if you don't like it, you can sell it off for close to retail.

Offline ponoj

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:56:09 »
I just got an FC660C Leopold.  Literally 2 days ago from mechanicalkeyboards.com. Literally best feelingthing ever.   So solid and beautiful. Hhkb look great too. I like the Leopold so much. I can't explain how nice it feels.  I'd recommend this board to anyone.  I got the white and it is perfect.  I'm sure the HHKB would feel similar. Only with a neater layout but no arrow keys

Offline ponoj

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:57:16 »
[duplicate post whopps]

Offline S.J.

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 18:03:42 »
well if you don't like it, you can sell it off for close to retail.

This is what I thought...

I just got an FC660C Leopold.  Literally 2 days ago from mechanicalkeyboards.com. Literally best feelingthing ever.   So solid and beautiful. Hhkb look great too. I like the Leopold so much. I can't explain how nice it feels.  I'd recommend this board to anyone.  I got the white and it is perfect.  I'm sure the HHKB would feel similar. Only with a neater layout but no arrow keys

Will have a look!  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 18:33:10 »
Don't get it, buy a Realforce or a Ducky TKL.

Offline ponoj

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:08:06 »
Could you elaborate?  Is the ducky topre ?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:10:23 »
Could you elaborate?  Is the ducky topre ?

no it's not

the difference between realforce and hhkb is mostly preference

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 00:02:32 »
What do you guys think?  Should I go for it?  FYI I've never used a Topre keyboard...  ;D

Get a HHKB Type - S and enjoy it.

YES, the long time hater of anything to do with HHKB, is now over hence why not buy it and see if it matches your predilections towards the Thorpie phenomenon.

Live long and prosper.......   :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 00:07:56 »
Buy HHKB. I love mine.

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 02:59:04 »

YES, the long time hater of anything to do with HHKB, is now over hence why not buy it and see if it matches your predilections towards the Thorpie phenomenon.

. Why type s? I see no reason to buy a type s.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 03:50:57 »

SO YOU LIKE HHKB NOW? Welcome to the elite club sir Elrick  :-*

Offline S.J.

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 06:50:05 »
Don't get it, buy a Realforce or a Ducky TKL.

Already have a TKL, wanted to go smaller.  I know i didn't say that though  ;D

I can't justify the extra cost... especially not at UK prices!  :'(

Online Tactile

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:29:23 »
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of giving into my internal demons and plumping for a Happy Hacking keyboard... I have a CM Storm QFR with MX Blacks and I've sprayed it, got PBT caps blah blah blah, but it's just not doing it for me.  :(

Well, Topre really has nothing to do with it. If you haven't used a 60% keyboard, try one first. Just about all of the HHKB complaints, here and across the Web, relate not to the Topre switches but instead to the layout. People will buy one and then learn they can't do without arrow keys, or they need a Control key on either side of the spacebar (that one is HHKB specific), they hate the need to press two keys for F4, "Why did they bury the Caps Lock? I use Caps Lock all the time!", etc.. They're not cheap, and to buy a HHKB as a first Topre keyboard is, IMO, not wise. If you've not used a 60% keyboard, I think a Realforce or one of the Leopold Topre boards is a much wiser choice for a first Topre board.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ponoj

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 16:47:33 »
What he said   /\

Excellent points.

I would however strongly encourage you to try a topre board though, I personally love them. The hype is warranted.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:09:47 »
Can we get the thread title corrected?

Offline S.J.

Re: To Buy or Not To Buy - HHKB
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:01:53 »
Can we get the thread title corrected?

Done. It was bugging me too  :mad:

I don't think I will have the chance to try out a Topre board... and even buying a Realforce board is as expensive as the HHKB.  As someone already said, I could sell it for almost what I buy it for anyway.

I think instead of buying a 60% Leopold or whatever, and having to get a Topre too to try, I may as well go for the HHKB.  I do appreciate all the advice though guys, thanks! :)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:15:26 »
THANK YOU, that title was REALLY bugging me.. glad we got that cleared up.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:18:33 »
The HHKB is the best Topre board out there IMO by a long shot, however that said in the long run I ended up going back to clicky tactile switches as I missed that real mechanical feel.  Make sure you like Topre first if you DO the case mounted 45G HHKB is amazing, but if you don't it's a huge investment.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:21:20 »
The Realforce is the best Topre board out there IMO by a long shot

FTFY :))

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:48:00 »
The Realforce is the best Topre board out there IMO by a long shot

FTFY :))

Nope,owned reviewed and sold the 55G Realforce, prefer the HHKB by a mile.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:57:47 »
SO YOU LIKE HHKB NOW? Welcome to the elite club sir Elrick  :-*

Not just yet, all I did was place an order for one on Flebay and now waiting for it's arrival.

It's the juvenile's in the House wanting to try it out.  If they love the HHKB Type - S then a further 2 more shall be ordered.

Remember that the HHKB Type - S is an elusive animal hence you need to hunt one down first to see up close how it performs.  For myself I am happy with any other keyboard but an HHKB but for the ones you love you will do anything, including putting away an ancient hatred towards this tiny keyboard.

Also getting older and don't see the point in denying the ankle-biters, their keyboard of choice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:04:38 »

Trust me, Australian prices aren't any better plus our currency is world renown as being almost WORTHLESS, making nearly everything bought and shipped here quite ludicrous.

But since we are a country that makes nothing this is the world we live in, either way you got to fork out more than anyone else on this planet, FACT of Life living here in Convict Town  8) .

Offline Severe

• HHKB Zealot
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 21:39:25 »
I have three HHKB boards  2 blacks (one with key legends, one without) and a wireless one with blank caps as well. It is an amazing layout first and foremost. I didn't get the HHKB for the switches. I got them for the layout and discovered I absolutely love the Topre switch feel
HHKB Pro 2 Black Lubed 55g
Logitech G502 (Gaming) Logitech MX Master 2 (Day to day)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:29:55 »
Easy. Buy. Topre is Love.

No ragrets here.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline S.J.

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:40:20 »

Trust me, Australian prices aren't any better plus our currency is world renown as being almost WORTHLESS, making nearly everything bought and shipped here quite ludicrous.

But since we are a country that makes nothing this is the world we live in, either way you got to fork out more than anyone else on this planet, FACT of Life living here in Convict Town  8) .

Haha ok then!
Stil don't want to fork out for the S model though  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:57:08 »

Haha ok then!
Stil don't want to fork out for the S model though  :p

You can always do zeh hyperdomes mod. BUT... here in the Netherlands at least, HHKB + hyperdomes is almost as expensive as just buying the stock Type S.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:30:23 »
I have a QFR with MX blacks and HHKB (and at least a dozen other keyboards).

Coincidentally I've been using the QFR recently, but switched to the HHKB as part of weekly rotations and started to enjoy typing so much more.

That's not to say I don't like the QFR, for blacks is is quite smooth and hasn't given me any problems over the years.

At least you'll have the experience of two quite different keyboards.  And do give yourself a week or two to get used to the HHKB layout.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline beigebrucewayne

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:53:29 »
I've always felt it's a keyboard very specifically engineered for programmers who use Vim or Emacs (originally bought it because caps lock -> control, which is what I remap everything to b/c of Vim). If you're not in that demo, then I think the appeal is iffy.

It's always going to be more convenient to have dedicated arrow keys. If you're into it for the sheer novelty and weirdness, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd say there are better Topre boards.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:38:49 »
I've always felt it's a keyboard very specifically engineered for programmers who use Vim or Emacs (originally bought it because caps lock -> control, which is what I remap everything to b/c of Vim). If you're not in that demo, then I think the appeal is iffy.

It's always going to be more convenient to have dedicated arrow keys. If you're into it for the sheer novelty and weirdness, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd say there are better Topre boards.

Post is from 2017....
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:37:49 »
Maybe OP was still contemplating an HHKB
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,