Author Topic: Thoughts on Nintendo 2DS XL?  (Read 6055 times)

Offline dante

Thoughts on Nintendo 2DS XL?
« on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 22:43:12 »
I'm thinking of getting one.  I'm in the process of selling off my GBA stuff because my eyes can't handle that tiny screen anymore and perhaps this will be closer to my needs.

Thoughts on this development?

Offline Delirious

Re: Thoughts on Nintendo 2DS XL?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 23:05:08 »
Buy it if you want to play the real Pokemon games. I don't own any other console but I bought 3DS XL back in 2013 just to play Pokemon XY. To this day I still play my 3DS about an hour a week for some daily in Sun and Moon.

A cheaper alternative is just play pokemonshowdown

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:00:25 »
It's a cool one. Definitely the best design, but I have a new 3DS XL so I have no need.

Also, HUGELY interested in what you got for sale. :D

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:13:42 »
I think it looks amazing! I have a 3ds XL and a new  3ds XL but never use the 3D. I would get one of these hands down as well. There is a metal slime edition coming to Japan, really hope that somehow these aren't region locked(the switch isn't so a man can hope!).

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:18:34 »
I use the 3D all the time. Can't use it without it! Unless the battery's low...

But if you don't use the 3D, then this is a no-brainer. Considering the 3DS is one of the best handhelds ever produced, in my opinion, one would do well to get either XL model.
I wish the 3DS XL came with the new, luscious 2DS XL form factor, but I'm totally fine with my 3D and multicolored ABXY buttons.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:27:15 »
I have a 2DS, it's the best purchase I've made xD That said, the 3DS probably has a more HQ screen... I need a PS Vita :<

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 04:25:22 »
I have a 2DS, it's the best purchase I've made xD That said, the 3DS probably has a more HQ screen... I need a PS Vita :<
I'd be interested in PS Vita as well. I think I'll need to scour the web and see if anyone is selling one.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 10:13:13 »
Also, HUGELY interested in what you got for sale. :D

PM Sent.

I possibly will get a GameCube w/ GBA adapter to play GBA games on the TV in the future; but everything I have in my current collection is on the chopping block.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 06:35:14 »
2DS XL can't come soon enough. I sold my 3DS awhile back because I though the 3D part was gimmicky, and I never used it. 2DS XL looks to be pretty much exactly what I want.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:19:47 »
2DS XL can't come soon enough. I sold my 3DS awhile back because I though the 3D part was gimmicky, and I never used it. 2DS XL looks to be pretty much exactly what I want.

But you could turn it off on the 3DS, and if you never used it how will the 2DS be different?

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:25:54 »
I sold my 3DS for nearly what I paid, when they were still >$200. A new 2DS XL is $150...

Just seemed like wasted and unneeded hardware that never got used (for me).

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:47:56 »
I think it looks amazing! I have a 3ds XL and a new  3ds XL but never use the 3D. I would get one of these hands down as well. There is a metal slime edition coming to Japan, really hope that somehow these aren't region locked(the switch isn't so a man can hope!).
100% will be. If you want regionfree just put custom firmware on your 3ds, it's really not hard (so long as you're not completely up to date). You only have to do it one time, anyways. Plus, that way you can do romhacks if you'd rather have fan translations like FE:IF's. For info on that just go to https://3ds.guide/

I'd be interested in PS Vita as well. I think I'll need to scour the web and see if anyone is selling one.
Look at the Vita TV, they're pretty cheap. Again, if you can get one and put CFW on you don't have to use sony memory cards for storage either, you can use usb drives instead which is pretty significant - $60 for one 16gb memory card is ridiculous. There's a whitelist on the PSTV that's a little hit or miss but CFW disables that too, just don't expect to play touch heavy games. I don't think many games require touch anymore, but when I had a vita it was brand new so the early games wanted to use it a little more.

I'm thinking of getting one.  I'm in the process of selling off my GBA stuff because my eyes can't handle that tiny screen anymore and perhaps this will be closer to my needs.

Thoughts on this development?
The only GBA games officially released for the 3DS were for early adopters who got the ambassador package and they never developed on it. You can get and install GBA games with cfw using the same wrapper as the ambassador games but it can be a little spotty on compatibility. You'll have to go to the usual suspect warez sites to pick those up though, and the saves are a little annoying to get out of the VC. All that said, the 3DS has enough DSi in it to where the GBA games are running natively and not emulated which is pretty cool. If you're looking for a GBA system, it's not going to treat you so fantastically without working on it but it has a great library of it's own as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:17:08 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline dante

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 16:11:57 »
So the systems are available; however as I understand it both screens are TN?   I think I'll hold out and see if they add IPS later on.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 21:14:17 »
So the systems are available; however as I understand it both screens are TN?   I think I'll hold out and see if they add IPS later on.
Sometimes they have ips panel but not always and it may not be the same for both screens. My new 3ds has an ips top, but realistically it's not that big of a difference.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box