Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 147045 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] CNC Corian/Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 09:22:58 »
norbauer, do you have an ETA on when you should get the Corian prototype?
I'm super pumped about this case, so I look forward to any and all of your updates!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 09:41:26 »
I'm super pumped about this case, so I look forward to any and all of your updates!

+1  ^   Bump  "What he said"

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 09:55:53 »

Corian is looking pretty good :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 10:22:58 »

The thing I'm stuck on is whether Corian will retain or add to Topre's "plastic" feel, whereas aluminium may or may not take away from it. To me, Topre switches hold hands well with a more plastic sound, so I wonder if the aluminum case will make it any "worse."

Offline stillzman

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 14:38:37 »

thanks for sharing this!

Interested in the sound as well, but regardless the case looks so good that I probably won't care unless it is obnoxious. I guess we'll find out for sure once norbauer gets the sample

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 20:17:25 »

I keep bugging them about it. This is sort of an "experimental" project for this shop relative to the type of work they normally do, so I'm trying not to push too hard, lest they should decide it's more trouble than it's worth. ;) Of course, as soon as I know anything you guys will too. :)

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 20:12:40 »
Your prototypes looks beautiful. I'm not a big fan of topre though.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 21:32:30 »
Just wondering, since you've made a prototype with the Aluminium, is it ready to produce perhaps in small quantity yet?

Offline ewwgin

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 22:16:02 »
Just found out that there was such an IC going on. But hey, better late than never, right? Just joined the recent drop on Massdrop for my very own 87UB55, and I can't wait to get my hands on this case to go with it. I would absolutely love to have a Galactic Blue aluminum case as one of the options. Excellent job with the prototypes so far, they're looking great!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:15:28 »

I keep bugging them about it. This is sort of an "experimental" project for this shop relative to the type of work they normally do, so I'm trying not to push too hard, lest they should decide it's more trouble than it's worth. ;) Of course, as soon as I know anything you guys will too. :)

Ha, I gotcha!
Excited!

Offline thebabyparrot

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 11:36:55 »
Maybe this is a pipe dream to ask but I've been thinking about doing a Realforce Bluetooth mod :) - would there be enough space inside the case to put a battery internally?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:41:25 »
Maybe this is a pipe dream to ask but I've been thinking about doing a Realforce Bluetooth mod :) - would there be enough space inside the case to put a battery internally?

If this keyboard ends up being aluminum, I wonder if bluetooth would have connection issues. I'm pretty sure that's why aluminum phones usually have plastic bands around the back or sides.

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #212 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 11:23:24 »
I can't wait to give this guy(RF) an awesome housing. Corian and aluminum both are welcome
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 11:25:01 by Stresemann »

Offline mypainishurt

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 11:51:46 »
I'm in it!

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:21:11 »
Gonna have to start hunting for a 55g RF. I've been considering selling my FC660C for a Realforce and this is the catalyst I needed to make up my mind. That case is snazzy. I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:59:52 »
I've been considering selling my FC660C for a Realforce and this is the catalyst I needed to make up my mind.

If it happens to be an NB (blank keycaps) I'd be interested in buying it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 06:54:11 »
Is the large white base for the watches in Apple stores also made of Corian?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 09:50:32 »
Is the large white base for the watches in Apple stores also made of Corian?

Very probably. Or at least a similar "solid surface" material.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:17:36 »
Gonna have to start hunting for a 55g RF. I've been considering selling my FC660C for a Realforce and this is the catalyst I needed to make up my mind. That case is snazzy. I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk4

Not trying to out too much pressure on the Norbmeister but he did mention he might work on a case for the FC660C...
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:19:45 »

Not trying to out too much pressure on the Norbmeister but he did mention he might work on a case for the FC660C...

Haha yeah :D, saw that. Either way, I'm a little tired of the FC660C and have been eyeing the lovely TKL layout of the Realforce for some time. This case design is speaking to me.

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:28:03 »

Haha yeah :D, saw that. Either way, I'm a little tired of the FC660C and have been eyeing the lovely TKL layout of the Realforce for some time. This case design is speaking to me.

Yeah, this case is screaming.

BTW I love 660c although I don't own one

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:30:45 »

Yeah, this case is screaming.

BTW I love 660c although I don't own one

I love it too. I'm just missing a few keys that I'd like to have back that TKL will provide. Also, since picking up the 980C I somehow prefer it to the 660C. The 980 actually has a different, slightly louder and more clacky sound than the 660C. I can't explain why but I prefer it :)

Anyways, as soon as I can locate a 55G RF I'll pull the trigger and will throw the 660 on MM in anticipation of this case.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 10:11:38 »
Hi norbauer, I have one question about the design that is sticking in my brain since first witnessing the lovely prototype images.

What was your decision making behind choosing the tight radius around the top perimeter edge of the case? One feature on the Realforce 87U that I think helps make it iconic, is the generous radius used along that perimeter. Perhaps somewhere in the range of 3/8" ? I'm not saying your version should match the original radius, however, I would be curious to see how the edge looks with a slightly softer radius, maybe 3/16" ?

Thanks either way! Eagerly anticipating more updates.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 12:40:10 »
I'm gonna need one of these now.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 23:11:06 »
Hi norbauer, I have one question about the design that is sticking in my brain since first witnessing the lovely prototype images.

What was your decision making behind choosing the tight radius around the top perimeter edge of the case? One feature on the Realforce 87U that I think helps make it iconic, is the generous radius used along that perimeter. Perhaps somewhere in the range of 3/8" ? I'm not saying your version should match the original radius, however, I would be curious to see how the edge looks with a slightly softer radius, maybe 3/16" ?

It was really just a subjective aesthetic choice. My intention wasn't to copy the 87U case too closely, but rather to create a design that would have a unique look to it in the sort of clean, shall we say, "retro-futurism" that drives a lot of my design tastes. :)

By way of an update: I'm still waiting on those PCB prototypes to arrive from the manufacturer—trying my best to be patient.  :rolleyes:

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:24:51 »

It was really just a subjective aesthetic choice. My intention wasn't to copy the 87U case too closely, but rather to create a design that would have a unique look to it in the sort of clean, shall we say, "retro-futurism" that drives a lot of my design tastes. :)

By way of an update: I'm still waiting on those PCB prototypes to arrive from the manufacturer—trying my best to be patient.  :rolleyes:

Thank you for elaborating! I respect your decision making and totally dig the 'retro-futurism' aesthetic. One of my favorite Industrial Designers is Marc Newson who gives that vibe as well.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 09:54:03 »

Thank you for elaborating! I respect your decision making and totally dig the 'retro-futurism' aesthetic. One of my favorite Industrial Designers is Marc Newson who gives that vibe as well.

I love his work as well! I'm a particular fan of the design of the Montblanc M.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 09:56:22 »

I love his work as well! I'm a particular fan of the design of the Montblanc M.

Holy crap I hadn't seen that one! Man, his stuff is clean.

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 00:44:36 »
Any updates with this amazing project? :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:54:11 »

Actually, yes!

I think I've decided to bail on the Corian idea for this particular project and kick that down the road to a different upcoming case I'm working on. The issue is that the RealForce has this huge-ass PCB and footprint, so I've had to engineer everything pretty tightly around that in order to keep things from getting awkwardly out of proportion. However, the Corian manufacturer isn't used to machining really tiny features to tight tolerances. (They say their min cutter diameter is 4.3mm, which strikes me as a bit wacky; I'm still waiting for an answer on why that is the case.) I've seen some phone camera pics of the Corian sample, and the physical one is on its way to me, at which time I'll take some better photos and post them here. However, that sample isn't usable since some small pocket features had to be increased to 4.3mm. There's still a chance I'll be able to work something out with the manufacturer to do the Corian, but at this point I'm just leaning towards doing this design in aluminum and then designing something next with the Corian manufacturing limitations in mind from the beginning. I'm also going to use the throwaway sample to conduct some drop tests, as Rama suggested to me recently at Originative meet-up in LA, so I'll see how durable the material is.

Anyway, I really wanted to do something special in terms of material/finish on this project--because the RF is my favorite keyboard--so, with Corian likely out, I'm planning on offering an option for hard (Type III) anodizing. This creates a color similar to Apple's "space gray" and it is much more resistant to scratching than normal anodizing. So I'll probably offer two finishes: clear Type II (silver color) and clear Type III (dark gray). The hard anodizing is considerably more expensive, so that'll have to be an "upgrade" option. I'm meeting with the manufacturer today about doing it in aluminum and am going to ask them to do a sample in hard anodizing so I'll have pics of it in that finish too.

For this one, I'm looking at manufacturers right here in Silicon Valley and also abroad. Since this design is a bit more fussy than ones I've produced in the past, I'd love to work with a local manufacturer so I can do on-site QC personally, but it may be a challenge to get them down to a price that we can all stomach. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:20:40 by norbauer »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:36:58 »

Actually, yes!

I think I've decided to bail on the Corian idea for this particular project and kick that down the road to a different upcoming case I'm working on. The issue is that the RealForce has this huge-ass PCB and footprint, so I've had to engineer everything pretty tightly around that in order to keep things from getting awkwardly out of proportion. However, the Corian manufacturer isn't used to machining really tiny features to tight tolerances. (They say their min cutter diameter is 4.3mm, which strikes me as a bit wacky; I'm still waiting for an answer on why that is the case.) I've seen some phone camera pics of the Corian sample, and the physical one is on its way to me, at which time I'll take some better photos and post them here. However, that sample isn't usable since some small pocket features had to be increased to 4.3mm. There's still a chance I'll be able to work something out with the manufacturer to do the Corian, but at this point I'm just leaning towards doing this design in aluminum and then designing something next with the Corian manufacturing limitations in mind from the beginning. I'm also going to use the throwaway sample to conduct some drop tests, as Rama suggested to me recently at Originative meet-up in LA, so I'll see how durable the material is.

Anyway, I really wanted to do something special in terms of material/finish on this project--because the RF is my favorite keyboard--so, with Corian likely out, I'm planning on offering an option for hard (Type III) anodizing. This creates a color similar to Apple's "space gray" and it is much more resistant to scratching than normal anodizing. So I'll probably offer two finishes: clear Type II (silver color) and clear Type III (dark gray). The hard anodizing is considerably more expensive, so that'll have to be an "upgrade" option. I'm meeting with the manufacturer today about doing it in aluminum and am going to ask them to do a sample in hard anodizing so I'll have pics of it in that finish too.

For this one, I'm looking at manufacturers right here in Silicon Valley and also abroad. Since this design is a bit more fussy than ones I've produced in the past, I'd love to work with a local manufacturer so I can do on-site QC personally, but it may be a challenge to get them down to a price that we can all stomach. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the update! Count me in for a Type II and a Type III ! Love the idea of locally made, eagerly awaiting some pricing estimates as I need to start budgeting for these bad boys :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:47:51 »
Oh, man; oh, man; oh, man.

Count me in for Type III, space gray. Realforce is my favorite and I want to stick to a darker color for the board, so count me in for the upgrade!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:56:49 »
Well damn. I really wanted a white case! Ha.  I'm sure the alum realforce will be a hit.  Any hints about what you're thinking about for the corian project?   A chunky 60% case perhaps?  ;)

Offline stillzman

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 13:48:05 »
Shame about the corian but Type III anodizing sounds awesome. Hope the price isn't too bad, I'll definitely want a darker color. In case the price is too much to stomach, is it possible to get a Space Grey color with Type II?

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 15:50:51 »

Not really interested in yet another aluminum keyboard.

I had never been more excited than I was at the idea of using Corian. I've seen artists in brooklyn do amazingly intricate art with Corian and 3d printers. It is a human friendly material and has the perfect properties for a desktop keyboard in terms of how it feels and how you interact with it, as opposed to the hard, cold, unyielding aluminum which is a completely different a s t h e t i c . The aluminum keyboards I use today tend to be cold and are dust and fingerprint magnets.

Having an aluminum keyboard and a space-grey keyboard is meh. However, if you did Corian I'd buy every color available.

Hard anodizing is fine but I'd also combine it with a dip to turn it black.

https://www.anoplate.com/capabilities/anoblack-ec-1/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:11:29 »
Well, I'm the mercy of what's actually possible. I'm determined to figure out the Corian thing eventually, but we're pushing some boundaries here in the use of the material, and it has been really hard even to find a shop that is willing to make a sample for me.

This is the third shop that I've paid to make prototypes, and none has yet been usable. This is a particularly challenging and intricate design (which I also happen to like a lot, aesthetically), so I just feel like if I start from scratch designing for the material on my next case--FC660C, most likely--it'll be more likely to be a success. Making an everyday-use product in Corian is a long-held dream of mine, so I'll keep at it, I promise. I just don't want to keep the RF case from ever happening by pursuing a path too far that may never pan out.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:32:35 »
And we wouldn't want a case with which you're unsatisfied.

Thanks for your persistence anyway, and I for one am SUPER excited for the alu case.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:40:22 »
This is the third shop that I've paid to make prototypes

well no one can say that you didn't try! thanks for your efforts

aluminum should be a sure-fire success though, can't wait

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:46:21 »
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:46:58 »
--FC660C, most likely--

Do you have an fc660c to work with already? I have an extra one I could loan you or trade for a case, depending on what the price ends up looking like.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:48:02 »
--FC660C, most likely--

Do you have an fc660c to work with already? I have an extra one I could loan you or trade for a case, depending on what the price ends up looking like.

Thank you very much for the offer, but I do indeed have one. It sits on my desk as a reminder to start working on a new design for it soon. :)

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:48:57 »
--FC660C, most likely--

Thank you very much for the offer, but I do indeed have one. It sits on my desk as a reminder to start working on a new design for it soon. :)

Awesome, can't wait!

Offline avid

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:58:15 »
Regarding Corian, is the tight fit an issue in only the bottom or also the top case? Something like aluminum base with corian top would be pretty awesome.
Anyway, looking forward to following the process.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:01:42 »
Regarding Corian, is the tight fit an issue in only the bottom or also the top case? Something like aluminum base with corian top would be pretty awesome.
Anyway, looking forward to following the process.

Now there is an amazing idea, especially with the seamless top. Aluminum to interface the desk and Corian to interface the human. Would definitely get behind that, especially with a black corian / anoblack anodized 6000 grade aluminum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:03:50 by amoswetherbee »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:20:18 »
:thinking:

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 00:53:11 »

Actually, yes!

Thank you for all the effort you are putting in to this project. I am in for both Type II and Type III and ofcourse your next project. Hope Corian works out well in the near future.

Offline bbmathlvr

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 22:02:03 »
I'll be keeping an eye out for this. If I cannot afford this one then I'll look forward to an HHKB case down the line :D
Probably TeX'ing right now.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 06:45:48 »
OMG I want one!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 06:48:13 by strigif0rm3s »

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 21:55:15 »
Might have to buy a RF87u 55g for this... if I'm ever able to find one. Looking forward to this design and especially the upcoming FC660C!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 07:11:26 »
Might have to buy a RF87u 55g for this... if I'm ever able to find one. Looking forward to this design and especially the upcoming FC660C!

They're available on Amazon iirc