Author Topic: Soda can for the sheet aluminum for a case?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline cribbit

Soda can for the sheet aluminum for a case?
« on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:21:45 »
Obviously there are more direct ways to get sheet aluminum, I just thought it would be a cool thing to do for the style of it. And with a good method that could be a useful thing for people on ultra-tight budgets. Would also be a curious thing to use a razor to cut switch holes and a thin grid of supports to give rigidity (or overlay on an acrylic plate).

A standard can is the perfect height to use with a 5 row (eg 60%) board. Its circumference is a touch less than a board and would require using two cans.

The issue I've run into is getting a clean cut to remove the top and bottom and a good way to evenly flatten the unrolled can.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline clickityClackity

Re: Soda can for the sheet aluminum for a case?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:54:09 »

The issue I've run into is getting a clean cut to remove the top and bottom and a good way to evenly flatten the unrolled can.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if we're going for style then the obvious answer to this would be a steamroller.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 02:10:36 »
It's ridiculously thin and the insides are not bare metal but covered with epoxy. The rigidity of the can comes from its corners and its internal pressure when it is full.

There is such a thing as metal-laminated acrylic but it needs a strong laser so not all laser-cutting shops are able to cut it. If you can find one, however, that would be a more convenient option.
I think a couple of the shops that were once connected to Ponoko offered it a while back.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:45:14 »
It's more for the art aspect of using the can's logos. Hence needing additional supports or covering a plate to use as a plate.

For use as a case, it should be feasible for just simple protection.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.