Author Topic: Swapping LEDs between two keyboards  (Read 2619 times)

Offline crookie

Swapping LEDs between two keyboards
« on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 20:37:37 »
Hello, I'm new here, but I would like to get some opinions from you geeks if this project I'm planning is realizable.
I have two no-name mechanical keyboards with Outemu red switches. I would like to swap the leds because I like the faceplate on the one that's mixed light, but it doesn't fit as they have different dimensions.

1. Mixed leds (each row 1 color) which I would like to keep for the metal faceplate and transfer the leds from the other
2. RGB leds but looks ugly to me.

I'm a noob obviously, but my main concern is that even if I manage to succesfully swap the leds (I have the tools necessary) the chip that controls the color modes won't show the rgb lights since it's programmed for mixed. Or could I swap that too?

Edit: Green is mixed, red is RGB
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 05:29:37 by crookie »

Offline crookie

Re: Swapping LEDs between two keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:17:05 »
come on guys, seriously? no one?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:33:32 »
Hi and welcome.

Know that both PCBs have SMD LEDs so, in order to reach them, you'd need to desolder all the switches and remove the faceplates. You can tell that by the fact the there's no sign of LEDs on the back of the PCBs (which is the side you're showing in your pictures). Also, both most likely have RGB LEDs which are lit to a different colour by the firmware.
In other words, swapping LEDs, will do nothing. To achieve different backlighting patterns you'll have to modify the firmware, but I highly doubt its source is available to end users.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline crookie

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:14:51 »
Alright, that came out wrong, I meant swapping the switches entirely, as the LEDs are in them as you mentioned. Even if I manage that, the light settings will remain those of the mixed light and not RGB.
Is it in any way possible to also swap the chip on the back? That would also transfer the RGB settings to the other keyboard. Or is it way too sensitive for me to start that kind of a job?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:40:45 »
Alright, that came out wrong, I meant swapping the switches entirely, as the LEDs are in them as you mentioned.
Actually, the LEDs should be beneath the switches. Please pull a keycap out and take a closer picture. It's better to be sure anyway.

Is it in any way possible to also swap the chip on the back? That would also transfer the RGB settings to the other keyboard. Or is it way too sensitive for me to start that kind of a job?
No, it is not, and not for soldering skills. Transplanting the chip can't just be done as they need the proper capacitors and anyway the traces are routed differently on different boards.

One thing you could actually try, is emailing the company that makes the keyboard you want to modify and ask them for the firmware source.

Offline crookie

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:29:23 »
I don't know about firmware but I will try, it's a chinese keyboard from Gearbest. I know, but I can't afford one from big companies that also has lights..

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 15:11:38 »
LEDs are indeed SMD. I wish you luck with the source request.

Offline crookie

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 19:47:00 »
Any way you can tell if the LEDs are indeed RGB or not? So I know if to keep insisting at the producing company. One row seems orange, the other yellow, some transparent, as you can see in the picture.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my silly amateur questions by the way, I really appreciate it

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 05:42:07 »
Any way you can tell if the LEDs are indeed RGB or not? So I know if to keep insisting at the producing company. One row seems orange, the other yellow, some transparent, as you can see in the picture.
Probably they are not RGB, yet, you can't just put a RGB LED in place of a monochrome one, they do differ a lot.