Author Topic: Vintage IBM 6110345 Clicky Keyboard, Model F, 1984 - The Battleship***  (Read 4131 times)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
price isn't that good... go find some unsaver for that price  :))

Offline matt-taco

price isn't that good... go find some unsaver for that price  :))
I tried to bid on an unsaver in April, got beat out buy about 250 dollar, my highest bid was about 225. Battleship still over priced, but you can't find an unsaver, and if you do, they go for more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
This is one of Cindy's sources.

I doubt that it has been disassembled and refurbished, more likely just thoroughly cleaned.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
i'm more interested in the Model-C he has posted too   :-X
-Dana

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
I dunno, guys... Maybe F-122s have zoomed up there the way XTs have recently. The last F-122 sold on eBay in open bidding went for over $300. Of course it looked like it might've been unused, but still.

F-122s really are the most "usable" unmodded Model F's, with their doubled modifiers and (more than!) full range of F-keys. It may be time for the sleeping dragon to awaken.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
I dunno, guys... Maybe F-122s have zoomed up there the way XTs have recently. The last F-122 sold on eBay in open bidding went for over $300. Of course it looked like it might've been unused, but still.

F-122s really are the most "usable" unmodded Model F's, with their doubled modifiers and (more than!) full range of F-keys. It may be time for the sleeping dragon to awaken.

Really? Personally I think these are way too big for a 'modern' desk. It's uncomfortable to use them, cause you automatically get a strange position of the mouse. If you don't use a mouse or use a rollermouse or something like that...ok. But for the rest... hmm... I could never get used to such a large keyboard for daily work. Even my Unsaver is a bit too wide for my taste.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

It may be time for the sleeping dragon to awaken.

you automatically get a strange position of the mouse.

I could never get used to such a large keyboard for daily work.

Fortunately I have a large desk and keep mice on both sides of the keyboard and use whichever one is most convenient at the moment.

After 3-4 years of that, I have a great deal of trouble going back to a standard Model M-style configuration.

With lot_lizard's project last year, it seemed like Cindy and everybody else was scouring the planet for forgotten Model Fs to vacuum up and use as parts donors. I believe that the supply may still be depressed from that event.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
F-122s really are the most "usable" unmodded Model F's...

Really? Personally I think these are way too big for a 'modern' desk. It's uncomfortable to use them, cause you automatically get a strange position of the mouse. If you don't use a mouse or use a rollermouse or something like that...ok. But for the rest... hmm... I could never get used to such a large keyboard for daily work. Even my Unsaver is a bit too wide for my taste.

It depends on what's important to you. 

To me, how the KB responds is paramount, and everything else—desk space, mouse placement, what kind of doughnuts are in the lunch room, etc.—is secondary. I'm here to type, baby.

I've made a point of learning as many KB shortcuts as possible. When you're a writer, you work with words, characters, keys. If I have to stop and grope for a mouse, it takes my mind away from the keyboard, the writing tool, and I must shift my mind back to it afterward to resume what I'm doing. The more my hands stay on the KB, the more freely my thoughts flow and the more efficient I am.

They call them KB "shortcuts" for a reason: They take less time and require less effort, once you've made that bit of effort to learn them. (Merriam-Webster's defines shortcut as "a method of doing or achieving something more directly and quickly than by ordinary procedure.*) And when I'm using a KB whose touch I love, I want to do as much of my work on it as I can—why wouldn't I?

But people have different computing styles. My wife uses the mouse whenever she possibly can. I don't think she knows a single shortcut. I've never even seen her press Alt to drop a menu—it's point, click and hold, select text. Point, click, Edit, Copy. Point, click, place cursor. Point, click, Edit, Paste. I've tried showing her things like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. ("They couldn't use P, because that's for Print. But a V looks like an editor's insertion mark—get it?") She uses them a few times to humor me, then goes back to pointing/clicking. Obviously, to someone like her, how far it is to the mouse is important, because she spends a lot of time reaching for it, then finding her way back. Watching her type is almost like watching someone conduct an orchestra.

I've never seen you compute. Maybe you're more like my wife than me. In that case, I don't recommend an F-122, an M-101, or even a contemporary compact full-size KB. In fact, I don't even know why you're. posting in this topic; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with you. Model F's aren't about "modern desktops"; they're about typing.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
I've never seen you compute. Maybe you're more like my wife than me. In that case, I don't recommend an F-122, an M-101, or even a contemporary compact full-size KB. In fact, I don't even know why you're. posting in this topic; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with you. Model F's aren't about "modern desktops"; they're about typing.

Why I'm posting? Cause this is a public forum and everybody can post here? I have/had nearly every type of Model F that exists. And if somebody says that "F-122s really are the most "usable" unmodded Model F's" and I disagree... I'm allowed to post my opinion, right?

And what do you think, how many people in this forum are 'writers' and type all day long some ****? 1%? And like I said, if you only use a keyboard it might be ok. But when your work or daily stuff also requires you to use a mouse (no, one can't do everything with shortcuts and/or keyboard only), then it's imho uncomfortable to use and doesn't suit most users routines/behaviours.

But I don't know your wife and I have never been in Canada, but I heard everything is a bit different there... so maybe everybody is happy there with huge keyboards on their desk.

Offline ed_avis

Re: Vintage IBM 6110345 Clicky Keyboard, Model F, 1984 - The Battleship***
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 05:46:38 »
I'm lucky enough to have a big desk at work (comfortably big enough for three 27" screens, although they are rotated to portrait), so an F122 fits nicely in the middle and still leaves space for a mouse on one side and papers on the other.  At home my desk is smaller and I use smaller keyboards such as the SIIG Minitouch.

I guess the best-keyboard competition needs to have two classes: one where desk space (and money) is unlimited, and one taking into account those practical constraints.