Author Topic: [IC] Scribe 6 (60%): UPDATE: 7/16 CANCELLED  (Read 18556 times)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Re: [IC] Scribe 6-Series (60%): UPDATE: 6/17 Keycaps, Slidebar Rendered
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 16:56:15 »
My 2 cents on the caps - love the profile, love the icon mods, not super keen on the colours. Classic colourway, can't fault you for going with it if you do because you can't go wrong with it; I just feel like it might be a bit of a missed opportunity to explore MT3 further, Matteo's first run was also beige/grey and red for the better part, maybe it would be cool to see something different here.

Or not, up to you of course and as said, can't go wrong with classic beige.
I guess what I meant was that I thought more people would express interest once the board was rendered with caps. This IC is taking on water.  I will continue to develop the concept, but if interest doesn't improve significantly with the next revision, there just might not be enough volume to support the development costs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 June 2017, 17:07:02 by SpectreiiI »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 10:05:44 »
I love the ideas in this keyboard! The operator layout is pretty awesome as it is, but I would personally put Home, End, PgUp and PgDn on Fn+Arrows. That layout is much easier to remember and I can say from experience that it's a blast to use.

Integrated slidebar is super cool, as well as the usb hub and USB-C! Not sure about audio amplifier, though, that seems a little out of place. I also like the lengeds you made for backspace and delete. Phase is also cool. Fn seems a little busy the way it is, but not a major turn-off.

How would you implement the Phase key in software? I know some IDEs support stuff like this, but it seems to work slightly different with all of them.
F0 isn't an actual key as far as I konw, but it goes up to F24, that may cause some confusion. Maybe make F0 send the F16 keycode? Would make sense in terms of a 4bit unsigned integer overflowing from 16 to 0.

Unfortunately, this will probably be way too costly for myself, so I'll be following this, but won't buy in. Good luck!
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 11:11:30 »
I love the ideas in this keyboard! The operator layout is pretty awesome as it is, but I would personally put Home, End, PgUp and PgDn on Fn+Arrows. That layout is much easier to remember and I can say from experience that it's a blast to use.

Integrated slidebar is super cool, as well as the usb hub and USB-C! Not sure about audio amplifier, though, that seems a little out of place. I also like the lengeds you made for backspace and delete. Phase is also cool. Fn seems a little busy the way it is, but not a major turn-off.

How would you implement the Phase key in software? I know some IDEs support stuff like this, but it seems to work slightly different with all of them.
F0 isn't an actual key as far as I konw, but it goes up to F24, that may cause some confusion. Maybe make F0 send the F16 keycode? Would make sense in terms of a 4bit unsigned integer overflowing from 16 to 0.

Unfortunately, this will probably be way too costly for myself, so I'll be following this, but won't buy in. Good luck!
The main reason why I didn't put Fn navigation keys on the arrows is because I work on a mac and Alt already does this. I guess PC users are SOL though. Really, the pad printed front legends could be any way you want them. It is intended to be an option, and placing certain legends on one row as opposed to another isn't too cost-prohibitive.

If anything would be nixed, it would be the audio jack. For now, I'm including it though.

I am writing an interface for phase-shift  in Atom currently, with plans to support Sublime, VIM, and Emacs in the future. Mac OS Integration is planned as well.

As far as F0 goes, it's honestly just a placeholder.

And a new concept is in the works which should be more cost-effective, so stay tuned.

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 June 2017, 17:10:28 by SpectreiiI »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 14:35:23 »
The main reason why I didn't put Fn navigation keys on the arrows is because I work on a mac and Alt already does this. I guess PC users are SOL though. Really, the pad printed front legends could be any way you want them. It is intended to be an option, and places certain legends on one row as opposed to another isn'the too cost-prohibitive.

If anything would be nixed, it would be the audio jack. For now, I'm including it though.

I am writing an interface for phase-shift  in Atom currently, with plans to support Sublime, VIM, and Emacs in the future. Mac OS Integration is planned as well.

As far as F0 goes, it's homnestly just a placeholder.

And a new concept is in the works which should be more cost-effective, so stay tuned.

Thanks for all the answers! Phase-shift in general sounds like an awesome concept, and the way you're implementing it, maybe it will come to other boards as well. Certainly seems like anyone with a programmable board should be able to use it just as well.

I'll certainly stick around :)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Re: [IC] Scribe 6 (60%): UPDATE: 7/4 Everything has changed! ;)
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:28:29 »
Massive update in OP. Thanks for hanging in there guys  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:25:35 »
I'm confused as to what this is and what this isn't.

Is there a summary paragraph?
How does this support topre?

What's a slide bar mount?

Any more prototype images so I can understand what makes this different?

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:43:49 »
Definitely interested. Is it possible to support ISO Layout? Would be nice to get more renders or a picture from a prototype. Also would like to see pictures with underglow and how the hhkb support will work.

Offline kimusan

• Mechkeys Tech
    • Mechkeys Tech
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 08:16:37 »
+1 for ISO layout. That would be awesome.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 08:22:30 »
Massive update in OP. Thanks for hanging in there guys  :thumb:

Great update! I think that's the right call to pull the slidebar and have it only on the scribe 7, and I think this design is a lot cooler than the initial one. It seems like you're carrying over all the secondary features from the Scribe 7 as well, which is awesome! How about .25 u stagger for the bottom row, will that happen on this board as well? I'd suggest you add a graphic for all supported layouts like the scribe 7 has to clear up any confusion about that.

One question, though:

Magnetic slidebar mounts standard.

What does that mean? Are there magnets on the rear of the board to attach a slidebar to?

It supports topre by being compatible with the HHKB PCB, as far as I understand. So you can get this as an HHKB keyset+case.

Slidebar is this thing: http://slidekb.com

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:19:58 »

This is a universal mount case which allows you to use an existing 60% cherry type PCB or an existing HHKB type PCB. There are two top mounted plate options, one for cherry with plate mounts, and one for HHKB with integrated POM Topre Housings. HHKB type plate is top mount only. Cherry plate can be top or bottom mount. More details of the construction will be coming soon.

Magnetic Slidebar mounts (left, right, and north) are being developed in conjunction with SlideKB. A Separate Slidebar enclosure with the corresponding mounts will be made available as well. The slidebar will hook up directly to the USB passthrough on the underside of the board.

PrototypIng is underway. Pictures will be posted when a final product is given the go ahead.

Definitely interested. Is it possible to support ISO Layout? Would be nice to get more renders or a picture from a prototype. Also would like to see pictures with underglow and how the hhkb support will work.
ISO will be supported. More renders and details are coming.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:23:48 by SpectreiiI »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:52:49 »

This is a universal mount case which allows you to use an existing 60% cherry type PCB or an existing HHKB type PCB. There are two top mounted plate options, one for cherry with plate mounts, and one for HHKB with integrated POM Topre Housings. HHKB type plate is top mount only. Cherry plate can be top or bottom mount. More details of the construction will be coming soon.

Magnetic Slidebar mounts (left, right, and north) are being developed in conjunction with SlideKB. A Separate Slidebar enclosure with the corresponding mounts will be made available as well. The slidebar will hook up directly to the USB passthrough on the underside of the board.

PrototypIng is underway. Pictures will be posted when a final product is given the go ahead.

ISO will be supported. More renders and details are coming.
Now I got it.

Thank you.

It wasn't spelled out in the op.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 16:04:36 »
Now I got it.

Thank you.

It wasn't spelled out in the op.
I went ahead and put it there for future reference. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline MUMU

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 12:40:23 »
Do you have a price approximation for a hhkb compatible case?
I think that a pink color can be cool to fit laser gmk!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 13:16:31 »
Do you have a price approximation for a hhkb compatible case?
I think that a pink color can be cool to fit laser gmk!
Unfortunately, I can not. The design for the hhkb plate is more or less finalized, but the means of producing it are still very much in flux. This is by far the biggest production challenge of the project, not because there is anything terribly complicated about the Topre mounts, but rather that they require several production processes to produce in a cost-effective manner. In essence, the more effort we put in, the lower the price you will pay for the final product.

As far as case colors go, purple is a definite go, and pink is highly likely.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 13:19:47 by SpectreiiI »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:39:04 »
Ooooo. Purple with pink feet or something like that feet would be sick for laser.

Do you have any idea what ballpark the case might land? Like 200/400/600 etc.

I'm definitely interested as long as the price isn't too bad. I need a coupe nice 60s.

I will say, I would LOVE a 65%. Then I'd probably buy it even if it WAS expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 17:56:55 »
Ooooo. Purple with pink feet or something like that feet would be sick for laser.

I'm definitely interested as long as the price isn't too bad. I need a coupe nice 60s.

I will say, I would LOVE a 65%. Then I'd probably buy it even if it WAS expensive.

I wouldn't plan on spending less than 300 but even a fully loaded model shouldn't run anywhere near 500. That's about the best I can do.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 18:14:34 »

I wouldn't plan on spending less than 300 but even a fully loaded model shouldn't run anywhere near 500. That's about the best I can do.

Exactly what I was looking for. Just trying to plan budget. There are so many things I want but I do want a couple nice 60s and this fits the bill. I bet I'll get both scribes and a fjell pro or something. :P. Let's hope they don't all 3 run at once :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:33:07 »

Exactly what I was looking for. Just trying to plan budget. There are so many things I want but I do want a couple nice 60s and this fits the bill. I bet I'll get both scribes and a fjell pro or something. :P. Let's hope they don't all 3 run at once :D

The Scribe 6 will be running in 3 months and the Scribe 7 will be running in 6. After that comes either the 4 or the 9, still undecided.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:51:00 »

The Scribe 6 will be running in 3 months and the Scribe 7 will be running in 6. After that comes either the 4 or the 9, still undecided.

Perfect. Then I should definitely be able to get one. Maybe even two. Bonus season group buys are the best.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 23:22:06 »
I'll just leave this here

And yes this is happening  ;)

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:35:17 »
guess I'm gonna have to buy like 3 of these  :'(

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 00:41:31 »
I'll just leave this here
Show Image

And yes this is happening  ;)

MUST ACQUIRE (in normal 60 not lame hhkb). I feel like you are trying to trick me into buying 3   :))

Offline numerofour

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 00:28:19 »
The 1983 case looks gorgeous! Does it support HHKB layout?

Offline MUMU

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 19:44:22 »
I was asking if the topre plate will be compatible with the FJELL pro but just realise that the FJELL Pro is not designed with hhkb usb hole and other stuff that a hhkb compatible case would need !  :))
And I don't find how to delete a post sorry  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 19:54:00 by MUMU »

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 00:13:02 »
The 1983 case looks gorgeous! Does it support HHKB layout?
Yes. All color schemes will be available in both MX and HHKB variants.

I was asking if the topre plate will be compatible with the FJELL pro but just realise that the FJELL Pro is not designed with hhkb usb hole and other stuff that a hhkb compatible case would need !  :))
And I don't find how to delete a post sorry  :-[
The best you can do is report it to the mods and tell them you are the author and you would like it removed.

Offline get_weird

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 01:51:58 »
Are the triangular feet optional? It would be cool if you could lay it flat.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:01:27 »
Wouldn't that just be a normal 60% case with blockers o_o

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 16:34:15 »
Yes, but the incline without Base is 6 degrees, 8 degrees with.
Wouldn't that just be a normal 60% case with blockers o_o
Nope, all the other features that are exclusive to the Scribe will be available.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:29:52 »
I have decided not to pursue a group buy for this product. I will likely produce a few examples for me and some close colleagues, but that is all. My topre assets will be sold to another company who will produce products to serve that market. My apologies for anyone who was excited to see this become a reality. I will be closing this thread down now.

Offline SBN

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:31:28 »
I have decided not to pursue a group buy for this product. I will likely produce a few examples for me and some close colleagues, but that is all. My topre assets will be sold to another company who will produce products to serve that market. My apologies for anyone who was excited to see this become a reality. I will be closing this thread down now.

What?! :(

What about the Scribe 7? Or the other variants?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:38:56 »

What?! :(

What about the Scribe 7? Or the other variants?
All Scribes are cancelled. I will be designing boards for other interests. This topic is now locked.