Author Topic: Handmade Ortholinear Fullsize!  (Read 2631 times)

Offline memyselfandi

Handmade Ortholinear Fullsize!
« on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:03:17 »
I have a Preonic and love it, but I would like a slightly larger board. Mainly one with actual F keys, a true arrow cluster, and my biggest preference: a left hand numpad! I currently am trying to figure out the proper layout for it with Keyboard Layout Editor, but I have access to a full machine shop to manufacture the case, along with a PCB CNC and a reflow oven to make the PCB. Any feedback before I begin prototyping would be appreciated! I will keep this updated as I go, it will be a while before too much progress is made though. Here is the current layout. http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/fa17df966c3346ef74d29686b9a915f3
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
Re: Handmade Ortholinear Fullsize!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 22:26:16 »
I have a Preonic and love it, but I would like a slightly larger board. Mainly one with actual F keys, a true arrow cluster, and my biggest preference: a left hand numpad! I currently am trying to figure out the proper layout for it with Keyboard Layout Editor, but I have access to a full machine shop to manufacture the case, along with a PCB CNC and a reflow oven to make the PCB. Any feedback before I begin prototyping would be appreciated! I will keep this updated as I go, it will be a while before too much progress is made though. Here is the current layout. http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/fa17df966c3346ef74d29686b9a915f3
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Just wondering about your placement of the numpad; are you left handed, or a righthander wanting to bring the mouse closer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline memyselfandi

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 00:34:38 »
I want the mouse closer, I do a lot of AutoCAD and Excel, having numpad without having to leave the mouse with the other will make life so much easier

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 08:33:50 »
I use my mouse on the left to also bring it closer (as well as reduce the stress on my right hand with typing and writing) and found the mouse buttons easier to use when reversed.
I wonder how it would feel or how easily it would be to adapt to if the numpad keys were reversed to be the mirror image of the standard layout?
Something to consider?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Phenix

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 08:59:51 »
look for a 128key tipro.
Winter is coming.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 05:18:55 »
Matias did some research on typing with your left hand only you can read it here: http://edgarmatias.com/.

From there it would make sense to mirror the numpad in order to keep the same fingers on the same keys.