Author Topic: Beyond Unicomp  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Beyond Unicomp
« on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:26:35 »
I've been banging away on a Unicomp Spacesaver M (with my Mac Pro) for about five years now, and it's still going strong.  I had it repaired this past January after the controller failed, and Unicomp cleaned it up nicely.  At the time when I got it, I thought I was buying one of the last mechanical keyboards before they died out completely.  Little did I realize what was to come!  Obviously there are a lot more options today, and some of them very enticing.  It's gratifying to see how this situation has turned around.

I have three desktop systems running now:  the primary Mac Pro, an older Mac Pro running Ubuntu MATE, and the custom Windows PC that I got to power my Vive.  So, I could use some more keyboards!  I mean, some more decent keyboards like the Unicomp.  I've got plenty of crummy ones laying about, including a bunch of Apple chiclet-type, plus one beige Chicony that outwardly looks like a Model M clone but has rubber dome switches and could be a candidate for the World's Most Generic Keyboard.

The Windows PC that I got from CyberPowerPC actually came with a CyberPowerPC branded keyboard with lots of flashy LED lights and Outemu blue switches, which is. . .  kind of interesting, but it's no Model M, and it's not adaptable to the Mac layout that I'm so used to.

By the way, I also got a CST trackball which just arrived yesterday, and it seems like a perfect match for the Unicomp.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/photos/mac_pro_ubuntu_mate.jpg

Not the most sexy gaming rig, I admit.  I may be nuts but I sort of like this style: sort of retro, sort of clunky and homely, but heavy duty all the way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:31:16 by Zobeid Zuma »