Author Topic: Tex Yoda II switch plate - where?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Tex Yoda II switch plate - where?
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:28:31 »
I have a Tex Yoda II. It's a great little board, and I even don't hate the caps as I've heard others do.

However, the version I have is a pre-built model, which means the switch plate is fixed in the basic 60% layout.

QUESTION: does anyone know where I can source on of the extended plates that accommodates split shifts and split backspaces? I'm assuming the PCBs are universal, though I haven't checked.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Tex Yoda II switch plate - where?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:38:35 »
Don't have any files but I know it's just a standard 60% plate so shouldn't be too difficult to measure the diameter of the nub and then add a cutout for it.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 17:01:45 »
I'm not au fait with all the off-shelf components (hence this thread) but this doesn't look standard to me

Is it?

More here from a documented build off imgur: https://imgur.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/Rxvyp

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 22:56:16 »
Was not aware they had a different plate for a kit vs the non-kit one. I might be wrong but if you are doing just split right shift and backspace the plate doesn't matter its all up to your PCB. I also have one but waiting for Navys to arrive and the PCB can support those splits.

Also I'm waiting for this: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/blogs/news/rainbow-yoda2-rgb-bluetooth

Offline jakllsch

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:44:19 »
I have a Tex Yoda II. It's a great little board, and I even don't hate the caps as I've heard others do.

However, the version I have is a pre-built model, which means the switch plate is fixed in the basic 60% layout.

QUESTION: does anyone know where I can source on of the extended plates that accommodates split shifts and split backspaces? I'm assuming the PCBs are universal, though I haven't checked.

You might try contacting Justin at Tex to see if he can get you just the plate from the DIY kit.  The Yoda II plate seems to have mounting standoff lugs on the bottom (between PCB and plate), which aside from the extra holes for the trackpoint stick and the screw between 'H' and 'J', are significant differences from the typical Poker-style 60% plate.  I would expect the PCB is universal, but AFAICT I've only seen PCBs shipped with the Yoda II DIY kits.

Offline jakllsch

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 19:21:55 »
I'm assuming the PCBs are universal, though I haven't checked.

Now that I have a Yoda II: I can confirm that the PCB in my retail (non-DIY) Yoda II is the same PCB I've seen in photos of the DIY kit (which supports split shift, split backspace, and ISO).

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:13:47 »
That's good to hear - if I ever get the urge to swap the switches out I'll definitely get the DIY plate.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 22:38:00 »
Well it turns out that, just like my first Yoda II which I had to have exchanged, this one also has a dodgy trackpoint stem which has also broken off. It's not a self-build so I'm not opening it up to see what's what, but given that's now two of two, I can't recommend anyone buy a Text Yoda II - through no particular heavy use or hamfisted manhandling, the trackpoint just works its way loose from from what I can only assume to be weak connections or material fatigue.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ have asked for more info/pics as it's outside the 30 day purchase so fingers crossed this can be remedied through refund or something else. It's a shame, it's a sexy board and I love the trackpoint, but the current design, again based on my limited sample, is not robust enough for a consumer product. Sad song.