Author Topic: Lenovo SK-8845 Thinkpad USB vs MS Natural Multimedia vs MS Natural Keyboard Pro  (Read 1328 times)

Offline wawasonqo

Hi Folks,

First time here and I have been reading through some of your posts.

Have any of you owned all of the keyboards mentioned in the Topic title?

I already have a Microsoft Natural Multimedia PS/2 keyboard (bought in 2004) and a Lenovo SK-8845 Thinkpad USB keyboard is on its way.

I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 also but it is with the shop where I bought it from, waiting to be properly tested instead of lazily assuming it was the operating system (Linux) even though I had informed the "technician" that I observed extra letters (for which I had not touched the keys) entered at the boot prompt before even selecting an OS, because after 11 months it started behaving badly like pressing the principle Enter Key would cause the Laptop to Suspend and I would have to Cold start it. :(

I bought a Perixx adapter (PERIPRO-401 - PS2 to USB Adapter, see following link) and the Natural Multimedia KB works fine. The Multimedia buttons and the Calculator button all function correctly with it. :)

http://perixx.com/perixx-peripro-401b-ps2-to-usb-adapter-for-keyboard-mouse-with-ps2-interface-support-ps-2-port-of-kvm-switch-built-in-usb-ic.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231990075728

I have also bought a Logitech Trackman Marble (hope it is better than the M570 crap I am currently using - Logitech used to make good stuff, I had one of the original Trackman back in the day, best thing since sliced bread) to use on the left of the keyboard until the SK8845 arrives because just before Xmas my right shoulder was dislocated and recovery is slow.

The SK-8845 incorporates a Numerical keypad into the keyboard with the use of a NumLock key. It may be the best KB of the above for me, as I wouldn't need to move my hands from it for using the pointer or the Numerical keypad) but there is also the opportunity to buy a new Multimedia or a new Pro KB.

It appears that the older MS KBs are the most reliable and well built and from what I have observed, I think the Pro KB was a model prior to the Multimedia KB.

So, I am interested to receive everyone's feedback and comparisons regarding the Multimedia, Pro and SK-8845. For example, do the early Multimedia and Pro KBs use the same domes and keys and key housings, same amount of travel? Does anyone have pictures of a Pro with the keys removed?

Also, which protectors do you recommend for my Multimedia KB?

Thanks, MTB.