Author Topic: removing a plate/pcb from its casing and making mounts  (Read 1135 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
removing a plate/pcb from its casing and making mounts
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:39:51 »
I got inspired by, of all things, a recent opportunity to trade stuff with another geekhacker's corsair.

For a long time I have liked the corsair, but I never got one.

Ebay prices are too high, and I don't actually care for the reputation, the controller, the layout and the red switches. I only wanted a corsair for the casing.

Now I've gotten an idea. GeorgeK sent me some Tipro parts, and there are tilted plastic parts that I could scavenge to form legs. I am thinking of putting a plate+pcb on top of plastic legs so that I have an exposed-metal keyboard much like the Corsair designs. The plastic legs are underneath, so they are not obvious.

Here is a photo that shows the proposed keyboard leg. It's the plastic thing from the side of the Tipro keyboard casing.
https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=dlVk1x_mhyWLQM&tbnid=AikCPK3GBq6qfM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.umd.com.au%2Fitd%2Fproducts%2Ftipro_free.html&ei=8kzJU7eqPMzf8AWEpoHYDw&bvm=bv.71198958,d.dGc&psig=AFQjCNH-IzHibz_WYgxLszBy1EXEDnF33w&ust=1405787750407804

But I am not trained in anything practical, so I have no idea how to make the plate adhere to the legs properly. Also there are solder joints in the way.

Does anybody have ideas on how to fix plastic legs to metal plate with the PCB present (ie the recommended solution can't damage the switches or solder joints)?

Alternative, any solution involving commonly available parts at low cost will be welcome. I'm not looking to build a metal casing GON keyboard or Lightsaver. I just want a reasonably nice looking keyboard at modest cost, structurally sound enough for normal use, with the advantage of Corsair's 'exposed metal top' design.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.