Author Topic: Tinkerings and Other Projects  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Asininity

Tinkerings and Other Projects
« on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:10:46 »
The university I attend has made a fabrication lab. I have access to a number of machines and being that I will be graduating this year I'm trying to utilize it as much as possible.

Speaker Stands

I needed some speaker stands and figured this would be a fantastic opportunity to make use of the laser cutter. It cost me around $3 in materials in total, which was a pretty good deal from my point of view. I'm planning of painting them glossy black when I get around to it.

Here's the design. Very simple, but functional. If anyone is interested I can send them the vector artwork. It was designed around 1/4" thick wood. I used birch plywood.

I decided to only use three pieces per side instead of five. I went with two with slits and a side piece to cover up the hole.

Here are the finished stands. I still intend to paint them.

Computer Case

Something I've been wanting to do for a long time was make a computer case. With the ability to cut both wood and acrylic I've finally decided that it's worth the effort. Fortunately I already have all of the parts. It won't be a powerhouse, but it'll be something.

The design is straightforward and simple. It's a glorified box. The front, back, and bottom will be made out of pine or birch. I'm thinking of a cherry stain. The top, left, and right sides will be black acrylic.

I had some spare MDF board and decided to make a mock up of the case. It's missing a side, but you can get the idea. You can tell where the power button and front I/O will be located (two USB 2.0, headphone, mic). I have a pico PSU so everything should be nice and tidy on the outside. I'm going to finish the case in the upcoming weeks. I need to 3D print a handful of brackets.

Other Random Stuff

Around Christmas time some family and friends expressed interest in little things. None of the graphics are mine and were vectorized from other people's artwork.

All hail Cthulu!

A handful of coasters.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:37:52 by Asininity »

Offline slickmamba

Re: Tinkerings and Other Projects
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:20:01 »
that looks awesome.  I'd love to have access to stuff like that.  No maker spaces, or access to university materials anymore =/

I should commission you for some stands! haha
Hi :)

Offline neverused

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:26:09 »
I like the unfinished look, it shows you're a hacker/maker.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:32:52 »
that looks awesome.  I'd love to have access to stuff like that.  No maker spaces, or access to university materials anymore =/

Thank you!

It stinks that there's not more facilities that are open to the public with a assortment of machines. The fabrication lab at my university is actually on the bottom story of the university's public library. The fabrication lab doesn't really mind if people who don't attend the university come into the lab. If you have any friends who attend university you might ask them if they have access to similar facilities and if they could bring you along.

Well, who knows! Maybe if there's ever enough interest.

It does have a rugged look to it that's rather appealing. I just don't want everything to have that look. I have a thing for the polished look.

Offline neverused

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:35:40 »
Fair enough, it does have a nice design aesthetic either way.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:36:40 »

Thank you!

It stinks that there's not more facilities that are open to the public with a assortment of machines. The fabrication lab at my university is actually on the bottom story of the university's public library. The fabrication lab doesn't really mind if people who don't attend the university come into the lab. If you have any friends who attend university you might ask them if they have access to similar facilities and if they could bring you along.

Well, who knows! Maybe if there's ever enough interest.

It does have a rugged look to it that's rather appealing. I just don't want everything to have that look. I have a thing for the polished look.

Ahh unfortunately, all of my friends do not go to college near me.  The local college does have awesome facilities, but I don't personally know anyone that has access.  But I do know of mutual friends that do.
Hi :)

Offline Asininity

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 17:54:06 »
I started working on some type of shelf to hold my mechanical keyboards.

Here's the first design. I have some spare MDF sitting around so I'm utilizing that for my mock ups. The shelf was designed for my Leopold and is meant to be screwed to the wall.

In this image you can see the backside. The piece of MDF with the two holes on the right hanger is what I'd use to screw it to the wall. I designed a piece (not shown) so it can go flush against the wall.

I'm currently designing a entire shelf.

It is based on these sort of angle shelves. However, instead of shelves there would be rails with sliding hangers for the mechanical keyboard. The sliding hangers would allow the hanging of different sized keyboards. I'll be working on a CAD design soon.

Ahh unfortunately, all of my friends do not go to college near me.  The local college does have awesome facilities, but I don't personally know anyone that has access.  But I do know of mutual friends that do.

Time to utilize those mutual friendships!

Offline Asininity

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 23:27:34 »
I've started working on my shelf design. The current concept I'm running with is a adjustable rail with notches (shown bellow) and using a universal bracket. The notched rail will be around 24", accommodating the largest of keyboards. I'm thinking the shelf will have at least six rails per shelf.

The MDF got extra burned because of a malfunction with the compressor.

I didn't bother making the full rail. I'm going to make a small number of modifications to the design.