Author Topic: Dream Keyboard Project  (Read 3550 times)

Offline foodz

• I make hardware frankensteins.
Dream Keyboard Project
« on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:09:54 »
foodz's dream keyboard project

Hiya there everyone; I've been a lurker for a long time and I've finally decided I'd love to become a active member of the community.
My day to day job I am a web developer; however, I've been hacking together hardware in my spare time for years and I've finally decided to document my latest.
The hardware goals of this project may seem like a strech but my goal is to try to meet them; go big or go home.

Project Status:Planning
Project Github: Project Github Page

Hardware Goals:
  • USB Connection
  • Bluetooth Connection
  • Display (Planning a 16x2 LCD)
  • USB Hub
  • Internal flash drive style storage

Software Goals:
  • Web Interface (Layer management, hotkeys, macros, etc)
  • Password Management
  • Smartphone Integration
  • Keyboard Statistics

Components:
Main Controller: Teensy++ 2.0 USB Development Board
I/O & Functionality Expansion: Arduino Pro Mini

This may be my dream keyboard; but if you'd like to suggest any other crazy ideas.. I'd love to hear them, discuss them, potentially try to add them in.

More to come soon.
Degadega.

Offline foodz

Re: Dream Keyboard Project
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:10:54 »
reserved for later <3
Degadega.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:45:04 »
Welcome to geekhack. Those hardware goals seem quite achievable to me, though note that for a wireless keyboard you’re going to need to add batteries (and if they’re rechargeable, some infrastructure for charging them). Also, interfacing with existing bluetooth stuff might be a pain. The hardest part is probably figuring out what you want the screen to do.

Offline foodz

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:23:41 »
though note that for a wireless keyboard you’re going to need to add batteries (and if they’re rechargeable, some infrastructure for charging them)

Right now I'm working with 2,000 mAh battery circuit and using a MCP73831/2 for battery management.

The hardest part is probably figuring out what you want the screen to do.

The screen.. I haven't really thought about what I wanted on it other than having the ability to "lock" and "unlock" a hotkey set on the keyboard for repeated tasks (like entering passwords, names, etc).
Maybe battery life read from the MAX17043/4 fuel gauge.
Degadega.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 21:07:10 »
That's ambitious. With all that built-in, I wonder why bother with an AVR? Just go straight to an ARM dev board or a RaspberryPi

Offline foodz

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 22:05:18 »
That's ambitious. With all that built-in, I wonder why bother with an AVR? Just go straight to an ARM dev board or a RaspberryPi

I'd rather keep in the realm of a USB accessory; having another system running in parallel to another system would be unnecessarily complicated from an overhead perspective.
Degadega.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 22:08:19 »
What do you mean by “overhead”?

I’d also recommend using an ARM chip, e.g. a Teensy 3.1.

Offline foodz

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 22:28:41 »
An ARM device would go largely to waste. The ARM toolchain is powerful and would be a good choice; but is complex to work with sometimes. AVR based development is cheaper and are easier to work with and something I tinker with much more regularly.
Degadega.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 07:51:08 »
An ARM device would go largely to waste. The ARM toolchain is powerful and would be a good choice; but is complex to work with sometimes. AVR based development is cheaper and are easier to work with and something I tinker with much more regularly.

Then you must already know what I'm about to say.  My Easy AVR firmware implements a full-featured keyboard (NKRO, layers, macros) plus software PWM for LED backlighting.  That is enough to max out the ATmega32U4.  If you really want a bluetooth stack and an embedded web server, consider upgrading.

Offline foodz

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 08:44:41 »
Then you must already know what I'm about to say.  My Easy AVR firmware implements a full-featured keyboard (NKRO, layers, macros) plus software PWM for LED backlighting.  That is enough to max out the ATmega32U4.  If you really want a bluetooth stack and an embedded web server, consider upgrading.

My thinking was if the two systems were separate; neither should be maxed out. If a AT90USB1286 (Teensy++ 2.0) implements the keyboard and an ATmega32x as an I2C slave implements the BT/Webserver stack. The slave acting as a subsystem that can be used to extend the functionality.

Granted there may be some latency issues with an I2C BT slave.
Degadega.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 10:25:37 »
Hopefully only a few milliseconds

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:43:49 »
Latency shouldnt matter if the slave is just running a web server, right?

Offline foodz

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 11:14:05 »
Update 3/9/2015
I was able to scrap together a dev platform for checking the functionality/dev certain features. It's a hash job but it'll allow me to test certain aspects of the project pretty quickly.

Currently only have a 6x2 matrix (6 numerical inputs & 3 directions) but this is enough to get some important parts done.
More to come once I can to sit down and dedicate some time to working on the code!

Warning: terrible solder jobs ahead!

Degadega.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 11:37:09 »
I look forward to seeing the progress. I love the mockup. At least you'll have time to practice soldering a little more.  :thumb:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:12:33 »
This project is relevant to my interests.  I look forward to reading the progress on this and then unapologetically stealing parts of it for my own projects.  :p

Offline foodz

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:27:53 »
This project is relevant to my interests.  I look forward to reading the progress on this and then unapologetically stealing parts of it for my own projects.  :p

If you have any ideas or anything I'll gladly try to incorporate them so that you can steal use them. ;]
Degadega.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:31:31 »

If you have any ideas or anything I'll gladly try to incorporate them so that you can steal use them. ;]

The only thing that comes to mind is: "what, no mouse?" Have you considered adding a nub mouse or a trackpad?

Offline foodz

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:39:49 »

The only thing that comes to mind is: "what, no mouse?" Have you considered adding a nub mouse or a trackpad?

Actually; No, I haven't. Although, I remember someone mentioning a nub mouse; after a quick google search, I'm unable to find any to buy. Know of any or a specific brand I can call up see if they have any I can order?

EDIT: I just didn't search hard enough - found some info; on geekhack.org no less!
EDIT2: And more I'll probably start with this
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:44:11 by foodz »
Degadega.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:47:04 »

Actually; No, I haven't. Although, I remember someone mentioning a nub mouse; after a quick google search, I'm unable to find any to buy. Know of any or a specific brand I can call up see if they have any I can order?

EDIT: I just didn't search hard enough - found some info; on geekhack.org no less!
EDIT2: And more I'll probably start with this

Sparkfun breakout boards are always a nice starting point.  Have you seen the TEX Trackpoint? There was one on Massdrop a while back.  I'm not sure where to get them at the moment, but you might find one if you keep your ear to the ground.