Author Topic: Touch typing experience with ANSI 2.25u left shift, against ISO 1.25u one.  (Read 7448 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I wonder if someone may educate me on possible transition from regular 2.25u ANSI left shift to ISO 1.25u alternative.

I use ANSI layout; but recently, I got a set with a b-profile pipe-back-slash key that needs an space at that row, being the most logical besides the left shift key, but I should replace my current 2.25u shift for the smaller 1.25u one. I am not really sure what impact the change may have on my touch typing skills and I would appreciate a lot the feedback on the matter, from people that has transition either way from ANSI to ISO or the opposite. I still can use my current layout, of course, but would like to increase the key count to 60 and have a dedicated Esc key, instead of my dual tilde+Esc that I am using now. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Touch typing experience with ANSI 2.25u left shift, against ISO 1.25u one.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 19:31:21 »
My own experience with various layouts has shown me that I can get by with Left or Right Shift keys as small as 1.25x, but not as small as 1.00x. In my case, however, I mostly use the Right Shift. BTW, my favorite layout is HHKB. When I am using other keyboards, I remap the keys to something as close as I can get to a HHKB configuration.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 07:34:43 »
The standard 2.75 units shift to be longer than needed, the split right shift is the solution. Regarding the left shift, the 2.25 units is just right, but not sure about the smaller 1.25 units shift.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 09:06:37 »
Definitely! The 2.75x length of the Right Shift is excessive. I like the split Right Shift: 1.75x for the Shift and 1.00x to its right, which I like to use as a Fn key. I don't have a particular preference for the Left Shift.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 01:15:43 »
if you intend to use both shift keys,    it's actually better if you swap  colon for right shift..   or apostrophe

and similarly capslock for left shift..

Think outside the box,   the default layout is a throwback to the slow days on a type writer.

There is no rigid structure..

If you've got a stick up the butt,  and you must have your keys coincide with the label,  well, hahaha, you're only hurting yourself.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 10:20:01 »
That is an interesting point of view; but, not sure if i want my legends to be totally off the actual functionality. I agree that most of current layouts are inherited from obscure times when type writers ruled the earth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 21:03:15 »
That is an interesting point of view; but, not sure if i want my legends to be totally off the actual functionality. I agree that most of current layouts are inherited from obscure times when type writers ruled the earth.

I was like everyone else,  until I got blank caps,  then it really took away that paper thin mental hurdle where the keys must be as labeled..

I quickly realized how the labels held me back..

This was a revelation of sorts..

Eventually I came up with very elaborate split layouts for my 87key..

Over time, I continued to have some wrist pain,  that was when I sought towards Completely redefining the keyboard for myself..

Which lead me towards the ergodox..

Overall.. ergodox in the beginning did not solve all the problems in its default configuration..

The tenting was simply not high enough.

Eventually , I went to the extreme with 120mm long screws,   and Now I am completely pain free, and no tension in the wrist whatsoever..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 23:36:53 »
Being able to free yourself from pain is a real achievement, congratulations. Any consideration is second when health is an issue. In may case, I am not there, yet, still, I want my legends to be there for the occasional glimpses needed.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 06:17:07 »
You could entertain the idea of space-shift. Basically while holding down the space bar it acts as shift, but if you release without pressing another key it types a space. That solves not only the legend issue, but also means you don't have to disorient your hand each time you need to use shift since it's always right there by your thumb.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 13:21:04 »
You could entertain the idea of space-shift. Basically while holding down the space bar it acts as shift, but if you release without pressing another key it types a space. That solves not only the legend issue, but also means you don't have to disorient your hand each time you need to use shift since it's always right there by your thumb.

Hrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

This is a very good idea..

Only I don't think the implementation on standard keyboards is very ergonomic,  because the more you use space,  the further ur twisting your wrist inwards ..

At least that would be the case with how  people traditionally use the space bar.  with a slight wrist twist.

if you guys isolate the space/ shift movement into a  finger only movement, then this will probably work better than left right shift.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 15:37:11 »
I have been using the space-FN concept for a year now; painless, no issues whatsoever. Physiology is particular to each individual; but, so far, nothing happens, I encourage you to give it a try. TouchCursor is a free small software that allows the implementation of the concept very easily.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 05:05:30 »
[...] Only I don't think the implementation on standard keyboards is very ergonomic,  because the more you use space,  the further ur twisting your wrist inwards ..

At least that would be the case with how  people traditionally use the space bar.  with a slight wrist twist.

if you guys isolate the space/ shift movement into a  finger only movement, then this will probably work better than left right shift.

I haven't researched how people use the spacebar, but it seems inefficient and uncomfortable to twist the whole wrist. Much better way is to use the thumb as a club and use the muscle near the palm as leverage to whack-a-mole the spacebar like it's a hot plate. This leverage is what, for me, makes the thumb keys optimal for multi function because it's so much snappier and independent than using fingers, plus the pre-mentioned disorientation benefit. Also when I use my fingers to type I often linger on the keys, especially if performing a "roll combo" so for me using alpha keys as functions keys wouldn't work well. As ideus says, it comes down to each individual. It's well worth to try out press-to-use- and hold-to-use-key combinations to save space and travel distance.

This code should work at least on Autohotkey 1.1.*, Script: * AutoHotkey.ahk (0.33 kB - downloaded 173 times.)
Unlike other examples of this style, my code doesn't override the hold-to-repeat function of the key.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 08:25:41 »
If what you need is more uses for your thumbs a split space bar makes a lot of sense, you can choose the modifiers and or function uses of some of them: