Author Topic: Ergonomic keyboard with integrated pointing device  (Read 6998 times)

Offline slowtyping

Ergonomic keyboard with integrated pointing device
« on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 03:41:24 »
I'm looking for a keyboard with an integrated pointing device.

I usually type with my keyboard on my lap, as this keeps my hands and arms relatively relaxed. Currently I'm using a Microsoft Natural 4000, latest in a long line of curved keyboads. For me the gentle inward slant is enough to relieve RSI.

Before the Microsoft I used a Maltron for a while and that had an integrated trackball, though it wasn't a very good trackball (a bit "grainy" in feel and the buttons were rubbish). The Maltron got sent back for various reasons. One was an inability to really gel with the thumb keys or other features of the layout. As the Maltrons aren't programmable that was hard to overlook.

So, I type on my lap and when I need to use my Logitech M570 trackball - which despite using all the shortcuts is sometimes unavoidable - I have to lift my right arm up and 18" to the right to reach the trackball on the desk. After a day of typing this causes right shoulder pain, so I want to reduce the amount I move my right arm.

I have tried balancing a Logitech T650 trackpad between the keyboard and my gut as I type but while it relieves shoulder pain it slides about and is generally a pain to use. I could type on the desk, but that forces me to raise my aims slightly and leads to pain in other places.

What I'd like is a split keyboard with an integrated pointing device so that I can type with a keyboard in my lap and not have to move my hands. Mouse keys as used by the Keyboardio Model 01, Ergodox EZ and Ultimate Hacking Keyboard would certainly help but they may not be precise enough.

The Keyboardio is interesting - the palm keys look like a genuinely useful addition - but as I will sometimes want to travel with the keyboard a piece of solid wood is going to be heavy to lug around. And of course it doesn't have a pointing device onboard. Nor is it available now.

I have always liked the idea of the Ergodox and the EZ takes away the uncertainty regarding assembly. The problem is that it doesn't have a pointing device and also I have fairly small hands - I can't see me being able to reach more than the first row of thumb buttons, which seems a waste. But if this had a pointer it would be a real contender. I could buy it today.

Finally, we come to the UHK which, silly name aside, looks almost perfect. I am used to thumb trackballs so the UHK's trackball module under the right thumb might work really well. I also like the small size and the programmability and the fact that it can be tented and tilted. I've talked to the team leader and I think their aims and schedule are sensible and that they will succeed in their aims.

The problem is that the UHK is not due until September and I have shoulder pain now. Any suggestions for approaches or keyboards I could try?

Ta
Slowz
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:04:32 by slowtyping »

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Ergonomic keyboard with integrated pointing device
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:18:15 »
I was thinking about similar issues the other day, although my situation is easier, as I have my input devices on a desk. What I do, is put the trackball between the two halves of the split keyboard (currently an ErgoDox borrowed from a friend; later on, will use an EZ for work, and keyboardio M01 for home). That is still hand movement, but much less than if the mouse was at the side. With a trackball where the ball is on top (not in thumb position like on the M570), you could even tilt the keyboard so that you can operate the ball with a thumb, by moving hands up a little. And use the keyboard for mouse buttons.

This is my plan, but I do not have the appropriate trackball or keyboard tilt kit yet.

As for doing this on your lap: I used to abuse a bakeboard to provide a solid surface in my lap to put devices on. Worked reasonably well for a few years.

Offline slowtyping

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:40:00 »
As for doing this on your lap: I used to abuse a bakeboard to provide a solid surface in my lap to put devices on. Worked reasonably well for a few years.
I'm thinking of doing something similar as a split board might be tricky. I might be able to balance them one on each thigh, in which case no problem. But a cheap plastic chopping board would be light enough and rigid enough, plus you could drill holes and glue bits to it.

Slowz

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:46:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack. This is a pretty good place to find answers to your keyboard questions.

I had similar goals as you when I made the Alumaplop. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67467. It 's nice to be able to have a portable ergonomic keyboard that has an integrated pointing device. I chose the Slimblade because of its large ball and scrolling features. I needed something that didn't require sensitive fingers to control, so trackpads, track points, and small balls were out.

Have you tried a Kinesis advantage?  I saw  a mod where someone was able to install a Slimblade into the center of it. It looked very clean.

If you go with a 2 piece keyboard like the ErgoDox, or Keyboardio M01, you will certainly have to connect the pieces somehow if you want to use it resting on your lap.

Offline slowtyping

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:02:26 »
I had similar goals as you when I made the Alumaplop. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67467.
I'll PM you my address. If you could just Fedex that over I think that will do just nicely.
No, seriously, a beautiful keyboard, compact and amazingly light at 1.3lb. Also a great - albeit intimidating - build thread.

You're right about needing to fix the pieces in some way. I think using a plastic board and glueing retaining strips to its surface to prevent the two halfs from slipping would work, but we (hopefully) shall see.

As for the Advantage, it's not really what I'm looking for as I don't really have the modding skills to put something together. Not very good with my hands, sadly.

Thanks
Slowz

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:00:01 »
As for the Advantage, it's not really what I'm looking for as I don't really have the modding skills to put something together. Not very good with my hands, sadly.

Thanks
Slowz

I've seen people simply tape a trackpad to the middle of their kinesis with pretty good results. Even the clumsiest of hands should be able to pull it off.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:01:35 by DvorakDachshund »

Offline slowtyping

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:37:30 »
I've seen people simply tape a trackpad to the middle of their kinesis with pretty good results.
Without the images you included, I would have pointed out that the T650 just won't fit on the keyboard. Then I saw the Glidepoints on those keyboards and a light went on in my head. "A smaller trackpad..."

I have just ordered a tiny/cheap Perixx PERIPAD and I'm thinking big lumps of blu-tack rather than tape to stick it to the keyboard. Thanks for reframing the problem for me.

Slowz

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 22:07:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack. This is a pretty good place to find answers to your keyboard questions.

I had similar goals as you when I made the Alumaplop. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67467. It 's nice to be able to have a portable ergonomic keyboard that has an integrated pointing device. I chose the Slimblade because of its large ball and scrolling features. I needed something that didn't require sensitive fingers to control, so trackpads, track points, and small balls were out.

Have you tried a Kinesis advantage?  I saw  a mod where someone was able to install a Slimblade into the center of it. It looked very clean.

If you go with a 2 piece keyboard like the ErgoDox, or Keyboardio M01, you will certainly have to connect the pieces somehow if you want to use it resting on your lap.

Holy moley! So much content to read! So many pictures to see! :eek: