geekhack Community > Input Devices

How often do you expect to have to replace your mouse/trackball?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Leslieann:
It's not just volts but amps as well.
You need a certain amount for the switch to grab and hold a click rather than bounce, they lowered voltage and amperage to the point the Omrons have trouble staying shut. And that's not all, I have long suspected as the life expectancy went up, the switches became more susceptible to damage done in other ways like over pressure, which is INSANELY easy to do, a good slap is all it takes. D2f switches are not even designed to have ANY resting pressure on them. It's actually a terrible switch for a mouse.

Tons of info and discussion here in the Definitive Omron Guide.

For the voltage/amps this video goes in depth.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Wed, 29 December 2021, 10:16:30 ---I should buy up a NOS Logitech mice from the late '90s the next time I see any for sale.

--- End quote ---

To clarify: when you say "mice," do you mean, er, mice, or trackballs?  I'm guessing you mean the former, but I ask because I used to be a big fan of Logitech's Marble line of trackballs and am wondering whether anyone here is still using them.

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Wed, 29 December 2021, 10:16:30 ---A couple of them might last me for the rest of my life.

--- End quote ---

I took a look at the Logitech Pilot Mouse you mentioned in a subsequent post and that does look like something that would last many years. 

(Does anyone here happen to know if the switches Logitech used in the Pilot Mouse were Omrons or Matsu****as?)

It isn't NOS as you are seeking, but someone (not me) is currently flogging a used one in the box on eBay if you are interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313812447369?hash=item4910adf089:g:xFgAAOSweDBhzRi5

Not sure about their asking price, though.  It seems a bit on the high side to me, but I have no idea of the going rate for something like that.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Wed, 29 December 2021, 08:28:24 ---Every 12-16 months because of the switches.

--- End quote ---

If your mouse/trackball packs it in at the one year mark, is it your experience that, generally speaking, it is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty?  Or do most present-day warranties tend to run 90 days?

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Stupidface on Fri, 31 December 2021, 10:46:30 ---If your mouse/trackball packs it in at the one year mark, is it your experience that, generally speaking, it is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty?  Or do most present-day warranties tend to run 90 days?

--- End quote ---
Logitech is 1 year.
They will dink around and try to run out the clock if you're close but if you do qualify, they will ship you another quickly.

Mine tend to fail just after the warranty expires.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 31 December 2021, 19:38:51 ---
--- Quote from: Stupidface on Fri, 31 December 2021, 10:46:30 ---If your mouse/trackball packs it in at the one year mark, is it your experience that, generally speaking, it is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty?  Or do most present-day warranties tend to run 90 days?

--- End quote ---
Logitech is 1 year.
They will dink around and try to run out the clock if you're close but if you do qualify, they will ship you another quickly.

--- End quote ---

Does the 1 year warranty apply to all of Logitech's products, regardless of price?

or

Do any of their higher-end offerings feature warranties that extend beyond one year?

I ask because I am wondering if the additional outlay means additional warranty coverage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version