geekhack Community > Input Devices

Best trackball for person with arthritis

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: AlphaStudios on Mon, 23 May 2022, 22:29:15 ---I agree the Kensington looks like it might do the trick!!

--- End quote ---

After you've found something you like and your sister has used it for while, can you please post back and tell us about it?  I understand it may be some time before you do find something you like, but I ask because this particular thread might be of interest to others in the future.

--- Quote from: AlphaStudios on Mon, 23 May 2022, 22:29:15 --- - Many thanks for the well reasoned inputs.

--- End quote ---

You are welcome.  I have a chum who has been recently diagnosed with arthritis, so all of this is of interest to me, too.

Before I forget, there is something else your sister may want to take a look at: compression gloves.

Handeze pic.webp (9.51 kB - downloaded 98 times.)

https://thedomecompanies.com/category/handeze/

These are tight-fitting gloves made of Lycra.  By helping your hands stay warm, and offering slight compression, the manufacturers claim they are of benefit to arthritis sufferers.  You can judge for yourself whether this is true or not. 

However, as a non-arthritis sufferer, I do find they help to keep my hands warm whilst typing.  At US$20 a pair for the Original model, I think the price is quite reasonable given both the comfort they offer and the build quality (the gloves are made in the US). 

(Handeze makes a couple of other models, so if this sounds of interest, you'll want to have a look at those, too, before you take the plunge.)

eBay does offer many somewhat similar compression gloves for much less money.  I have tried one or two of the cut-rate models, but favour the Handeze gloves because I do not like the feeling of fabric on my fingers.  The inexpensive gloves found on eBay cost less, but a lot of them have 1/4 to 3/4 length fingers, which I do not find comfortable.

(Not to mention the naff build quality of some of the gloves.  Bleugh...)

Anyway, you get the idea.  I cannot say for certain whether your sister would find these gloves to be of any benefit, but they might be worth a look.

AlphaStudios:
That RED ball - reminds me of HAL

AlphaStudios:
I showed her these but she it still tending towrards the Logitech option is apprewntly it tilts too so sh4 can take some pressure off her wrist. I will let you know what she finally plump for.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: AlphaStudios on Sun, 29 May 2022, 06:11:55 ---apprewntly it tilts too so sh4 can take some pressure off her wrist.

--- End quote ---

To clarify: is she looking for something that would allow her hand to stay in more of a "handshake" position (i.e. palm vertical with the thumb pointing up) and that is why she finds the tilt feature appealing?

I ask because Logitech makes a vertical mouse: the Logitech MX Vertical Advanced Ergonomic Wireless Mouse:

(photo credit: not me)

If she is looking to reduce wrist strain, you may want to show her that one and see what she thinks.

AlphaStudios:
Will do!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version