Author Topic: DSA round 1? Is this possible?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
DSA round 1? Is this possible?
« on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 00:52:07 »
I wasn't into keyboards when SA Round 5-6 happened... So what happened?

I want to have a groupbuy that would allow for multiple colored DSA modifiers and alphas... Since SP has queues and even vendors have queues, is a group buy possible?

What do you guys think about having GB's not via vendors?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: DSA round 1? Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 06:38:53 »
Round 5-6 SA was insanely big and as 7bit buys go continually growing and complex. I think it finally tipped SP to the point of saying they wouldn't do anymore of 7bits rounds. But I quit following those rounds some time ago so maybe you're asking about something else?

Having a traditional group buy won't bypass any queues.

People generally seem more comfortable spending more money and dealing with massdrop or vendors. SP also seems to want to deal with massdrop and vendors as well.

I don't understand your post really.

Also not sure why this is in the keyboard subforum.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 06:40:57 by SpAmRaY »

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:29:09 »
Round 5-6 SA was insanely big and as 7bit buys go continually growing and complex. I think it finally tipped SP to the point of saying they wouldn't do anymore of 7bits rounds. But I quit following those rounds some time ago so maybe you're asking about something else?

People generally seem more comfortable spending more money and dealing with massdrop or vendors. SP also seems to want to deal with massdrop and vendors as well.

Wait, but what about all of those guys who say SP's ****ty customer service is due to the GB market being too niche? Are you saying that SP is in fact not big enough to meet the mkb market's demands, and their customer service is **** for ****'s sake?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 18:52:44 »

Wait, but what about all of those guys who say SP's ****ty customer service is due to the GB market being too niche? Are you saying that SP is in fact not big enough to meet the mkb market's demands, and their customer service is **** for ****'s sake?

What did my post have to do with customer service? : confused:

But yeah it's no secret SP doesn't have the production capacity to keep up currently.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 June 2017, 18:55:47 by SpAmRaY »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 20:28:26 »

SORRY MY BAD, was gonna post this on keycaps :blank:

Yep, i think you basically explained it for yourself. I was just wondering if traditional GBs can still push through. I do agree that it is safer to deal with vendors. But with sp having a long queue and Vendors like massdrop also having queues. It is an endless wait (for me though).

I wasn't really into keyboards when those 7bit gb's started or happened but i was curious how they went about it... Traditional gb? Multiple kits were awesome though. Really want to apply that on a DSA profile.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 21:56:08 »

What did my post have to do with customer service? : confused:

But yeah it's no secret SP doesn't have the production capacity to keep up currently.

That's probably good if they are overworked - lots of love for SA and DSA.

Not much for DCS any more, it seems.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 23:02:58 »
Traditional group buys are still beholden to the same queues as any other buys.  You'll just find some unwilling to participate in traditional buys given their nature and potential for problems.

You could mock up something similar and let it run through MD or Originative as they seem the two popular current vendor options right now.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 00:22:27 »
Traditional group buys are still beholden to the same queues as any other buys.  You'll just find some unwilling to participate in traditional buys given their nature and potential for problems.

You could mock up something similar and let it run through MD or Originative as they seem the two popular current vendor options right now.

I actually have a keyset that is in queue to run on a vendor which is in GMK profile.

I sorta miss my DSA keycaps and i wanted to do a simple GB which would included mods and alphas to mix and match :D The problem is that i live in the Philippines doing the GB is no problem for me since i have some spare time but shipping from my country to various buyers around the globe would be very expensive though :/

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 00:33:42 »

I actually have a keyset that is in queue to run on a vendor which is in GMK profile.

I sorta miss my DSA keycaps and i wanted to do a simple GB which would included mods and alphas to mix and match :D The problem is that i live in the Philippines doing the GB is no problem for me since i have some spare time but shipping from my country to various buyers around the globe would be very expensive though :/

Yeah this is where vendors that handle shipping and handling are quite helpful.  They let designers handle the design while they handle other aspects they're geared for.  The community generally wins.

That said, I'm sure both MassDrop and Originative would be happy to take on such duties for DSA Round 1 should you decide to go that route.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 05:20:55 »

Yeah this is where vendors that handle shipping and handling are quite helpful.  They let designers handle the design while they handle other aspects they're geared for.  The community generally wins.

That said, I'm sure both MassDrop and Originative would be happy to take on such duties for DSA Round 1 should you decide to go that route.

I wish the queues weren't so damn long, im really terrible at waiting. The hype fades :(

Anyways, I hope I can find someone to work with who is stateside. I already had a set quoted by pmk, they say that they have an opening for dsa production by oct... This set is priced pretty well IMO, I hope I can work something out with members of this community to make it happen though.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:29:05 »
October?  Looks like the DSA pipeline is filling up now that SA is inundated.  Not too surprising really.  I suppose it's time to look to some dyesub options for SA R3 or DSA as the lead times there are much more manageable right now.  It would be nice if dyesub SA sculptured came to be but that seems to still be pending.