Author Topic: Who uses their mouse with their left hand?  (Read 52791 times)

Offline e_l_tang

Who uses their mouse with their left hand?
« on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:38:44 »
I am right-handed and I use my mouse with my left hand for the ergonomic benefits. I should probably also mention that I switched my primary and secondary mouse buttons.

Does anyone do the same, and if not, why not?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:54:11 by Eric-T »

Offline Emmiya

Re: Who uses their mouse with their left hand?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:55:26 »
I'm left handed and game using my mouse in my left hand & IJKL for movement keys etc. I also haveprimary/secondary switched.

Makes finding a good mouse a *****, as I'm limited to either a razer deathadder(old old version, which imo sucks ****), or just ambidextrous uncomfortable mice.

Been this way for well over 10 years though now, and I really don't have the patience to relearn, especially given my 'main game' is CS:GO,

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:59:28 »
I tried, particularly when eating chips with chopsticks with my right hand, but I'm just not coordinated enough with my left hand for that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 05:59:07 »
I do the same. I started doing it so that I have access to numpad / arrows / enter / backspace / delete / Ctrl-Ins / Shift-Ins with right hand while left hand uses mouse. It is just a habit now since I use a custom keyboard and can remap keys whatever way I like.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 06:29:04 »
It depends. I'm left-handed and have always used trackpoints, touchpads and pen-controlled tablets (and rollermouse) with my left hand, but mice/trackballs with my right hand. It's been only in the last few years, that I've started to swap mice and some trackballs to prevent finger strain from too much clicking.

Nowadays, my desktop setup usually looks along the lines of this (except the keyboard is different and I switch to a better right-handed mouse, whenever moving the trackball to the left).

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:09:41 »
I'm trying it for about half the usage but I need to find a good mouse similar to the Zowie FK 2014 outfitted with Omron switches, as the stiff buttons over time just aren't ergonomic.

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:39:22 »
I have been doing that for a couple of years due to issues with my wrist.  It was a very easy transition for me, I didn't even need to switch the left and right buttons.  Now I keep a trackball on the left and a mouse on the right side. 

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:52:02 »
I tried, particularly when eating chips with chopsticks with my right hand, but I'm just not coordinated enough with my left hand for that.

Chips as in fries, or chips as in crisps?

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline raymogi

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 07:55:12 »
Instead of using my left hand for mouse/trackpad, I have developed this habit of eating chips etc. with my left hand since I first started using computer.

My logic back then is I don't have to wash my hands first and I can do my computing/gaming/phone/whatever while I'm enjoying my snacks.

I guess it's pretty beneficial these days, especially with this new hobby of mine :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:24:57 »
I think I must be weird or something... I'm left handed for writing, but also do a lot of things as a right handed person.
For example: I can't use scissors made for lefties, but I'll hold my spoon fork with my left hand when eating. I'll brush my teeth with my left hand, and use screwdrivers and soldering irons with my right. I'll open and pour from bottles with my left, and cut and sir food when cooking with the right. And so on, and so on...

At work I'll use my mouse in my right hand, but at home I'll use my left. The main reason for the mouse at home is because I can't play games (keyboard part) with my left hand. I've tried so many times, but it just doesn't click with my brain. So I'm always forced to rebind all my keys.
I've been using an ErgoDox for gaming. But I still need to make a WASD layer for the right hand, so that I can start playing a game without spending time understanding what keys will be needed, and IF I can rebind them (looking at you Fallout 4 and MSG5). Before the ErgoDox I would use my numberpad for movement and the arrow cluster (with my thumb) for most other actions.

Being so used to using my thumb on the keyboard for a lot of things in games makes me want to try an MMO mouse (the ones that have like 9 or 12 buttons for your thumb). But sadly the only ones I've found for left handed people are from Razer, and I refuse to buy their stuff.

Oh! Also I don't switch my buttons on my mouse, and will eat chips and fries with my right hand.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 01:37:09 »
I think I must be weird or something... I'm left handed for writing, but also do a lot of things as a right handed person.

Sounds like you're ambidextrous.

I've been using an ErgoDox for gaming. But I still need to make a WASD layer for the right hand, so that I can start playing a game without spending time understanding what keys will be needed, and IF I can rebind them (looking at you Fallout 4 and MSG5).

MGSV allows for key rebinding though. Does it have certain un-bindable locked keys?

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 01:56:50 »
When I was using a standard mouse I would use my left hand as I'm left handed. Tried using my g502 and it's just built too much for right hands that I can't use it comfortably

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 02:43:33 »

Sounds like you're ambidextrous.

I've been using an ErgoDox for gaming. But I still need to make a WASD layer for the right hand, so that I can start playing a game without spending time understanding what keys will be needed, and IF I can rebind them (looking at you Fallout 4 and MSG5).

MGSV allows for key rebinding though. Does it have certain un-bindable locked keys?

Well when I tired the "Demo" (Ground Zeroes) I couldn't rebind my jump to the Enter key and most non letter keys couldn't be used

I do't think I can be called ambidextrous because when I looked it it up it says: "Ambidexterity is the state of being equally adept in the use of both left and right hand." And I can only do somethings with each hand. But I guess it would be cool to be ambidextrous, it would put me in that small 1% group of people that are  :rolleyes:

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 02:55:49 »
Well when I tired the "Demo" (Ground Zeroes) I couldn't rebind my jump to the Enter key and most non letter keys couldn't be used

Ah, thought you were referring to The Phantom Pain, should have been more specific. I know some had issues with Fallout 4's key bindings, with one person I follow ending up using Autohotkey to manipulate them instead.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 02:59:51 »

Ah, thought you were referring to The Phantom Pain, should have been more specific. I know some had issues with Fallout 4's key bindings, with one person I follow ending up using Autohotkey to manipulate them instead.

Yeah I tested the MGS5 with Ground Zeroes, since I didn't want to spend the money on Phantom Pain before knowing if I would be able to play because of the limited key bindings. As for Fallout 4, I think I just need to get around to finish making a WASD layer for my right hand.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 03:18:03 »
Yeah I tested the MGS5 with Ground Zeroes, since I didn't want to spend the money on Phantom Pain before knowing if I would be able to play because of the limited key bindings. As for Fallout 4, I think I just need to get around to finish making a WASD layer for my right hand.

Checked Phantom Pain. The keys can be rebound within the standard alphanumeric set (+ Ctrl/Alt modifiers) but special characters can't which is a bit surprising, and would make Autohotkey or a hardware-based layer needed to change such keys.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 08:07:57 »
I use a standard righthanded mouse, with my left hand
I am righthanded, but mouse with my left hand. I did not switch the mousebuttons. So basically I am using a standard, right handed mouse with my left hand.

Why do I mouse with my left hand?
For ergonomic benefits: I got a sore right shoulder from mousing right handed. On the left side, the mouse is closer. Result: less pain in the right soulder, and no (!) new pain in the left shoulder.

Did it take long to learn left handed mousing?
A couple of weeks. At the moment I prefer to mouse left handed, for "simple mousing".

Do I exclusively mouse left handed?
No, when I'm doing a lot of precise mouse work (think Photoshopping) sometimes I use my right hand. That is still my dominant, most precise hand.

Why do I use a righthanded mouse? Why not switch the mouse buttons?
This way I can easily use coworkers computers & mice. And at home, it's easy to switch the mouse over to the right hand. Also, it's easy to use 2 mice at the same time, without having to program stuff. On my linux computers I could easily program individual mice to be left or right handed (using xinput), but why bother? And, on Windows I don't even know if it possible to use a left and a right handed mouse at the same time (but I don't know much about Windows).

Is using a righthanded mouse with the left hand, and also with the right hand, confusing?
No! I'm used that my middle finger (the strongest finger, by the way) of my left hand does the 'normal'  clicks; and that my index finger on the right hand does the normal clicks. The nice thing is that a 'right click' is always on the right side of the mouse :-) 

You may even call it the "Jimi Hendrix set up" - named after a certain guitarist who played a righthanded guitar lefthanded  :D

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:26:18 by PieterGen »

Offline geekhack360

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 01:23:53 »
Just use a left handed keyboard then you don't need to switch your mouse hand.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 03:10:49 »
I was getting a sore wrist in a previous job using the one hand to make notes, use the mouse and the keyboard, so I made the switch.
Just using the standard company supplied mouse and I have left the buttons in standard config so if anyone else uses my pc at work it doesn't mess with their head too much.  Same for at home.
I like the ergonomics of using the mouse on the left as I don't have to reach as far to use it when compared to right-hand mousing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:47:29 by invariance »
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 13:51:39 »
I mouse lefty at work and righty at home since I play games on the computer.  I've been doing this since 1997 so my left hand mouse skills are pretty decent.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 21:35:27 »
Like MAR82 I am a strange mix of left and right handed. I write with my left hand but play sports with my right hand/right foot etc.

Due to ongoing pain management issues I now use a left handed mouse at work and a right handed mouse at home.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 15:05:16 »
I type and use my trackball on the right like a righty.  I throw righty.

But I brush my teeth, eat, and drive with my lefty.

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 00:00:18 »
I started using my trackball left-handed 25 years ago when I developed RSI issues in my right wrist. The wrist problem is gone, but since I have so many habits and keybindings built up around left-handed use I never bothered to switch back. It's more convenient to use the trackball left-handed anyway, given that I prefer my right hand for nearly everything else.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 04:26:31 »
YES! I am (we are) not alone!!!  :p :p :p

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 05:43:11 »
What PieterGen said I can pretty much echo. Started using a regular mouse with my left hand (with no switching of the button configuration) about ten years ago, just to avoid the strain of using a mouse with one hand only. The funny thing is, now I prefer using my left hand, and it’s almost a chore to remember to switch it to the right side from time to time. However, switching is important to try to avoid imbalances.

The real revelation for me was when I got my Logitech T650 Touchpad almost two years ago. No more having to grip and move a mouse. No more clicking noises. Just sliding my fingers on a smooth surface, sometimes tapping or using multi-finger gestures. Probably would not work for a gamer. But since that’s not my cup of tea, I just can’t see myself going back to using a regular mouse, unless I absolutely have to.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:30:48 »
Hi, predominantly Apple user here. When I first got my Apple magic trackpad, I tried the trackpad on the right and (Magic) mouse on the left, swapping left/right click. I later tried the opposite config: trackpad left and mouse right, which offers - for me - the most flexibility. I find the trackpad to be really useful for swipe gestures, and can improve my productivity.

I stopped usind the magic mouse as I developed pain when using it at length. Adjusting my grip helped with this a lot, but when I got a Razer Orochi I knew I'd found my end-game mouse.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:31:15 »
We've had a few threads about this.  I am ambidextrous mouse user, and it is not that hard of an adjustment.  I don't even switch the buttons, so with my left hand, the primary click stays on my middle finger.  Just give yourself a week and you should be fine.

I originally switched because I was starting to develop some RSI in my right hand from all the clicking.  Perhaps the first thing you could do is eliminated the double clicks on your OS, and then switch to the left hand if the problems persist.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:32:35 »
I use the mouse with my left hand at work and right handed at home.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:36:35 »
I thought about creating a new thread but then I found this one, sorry for the necromancing. :-X

About a week ago I moved my mouse over to the left of the keyboard to clean under the mousepad and forgot to move the mouse/mousepad back. Without thinking, I reached for the mouse with my left hand and clicked a link. I liked it. Highlighting links is still a bit of a chore for me but I think I'll master that in a few weeks or so :)). I drive with my left hand, sort makes sense that I'd be able to move a mouse with that hand as well.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:08:24 »
First I will say that I am left handed.  With that being said I'm probably 70-30 on left vs right handed tasks.  As far back as I can remember (early 90's, I'm 28 now) I've always used a mouse with my right hand.  I'm assuming that it felt natural enough to not complain.  Being young and with computers being in their "infancy". I probably didn't know that left-handed mice were a thing.  At this point I see no reason to switch to a left-handed mouse as most mice are right-handed.  I'm always curious if I had, or did use my left hand if I would have better control.  At any rate though, I'm content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:45:43 »
First I will say that I am left handed.  With that being said I'm probably 70-30 on left vs right handed tasks.  As far back as I can remember (early 90's, I'm 28 now) I've always used a mouse with my right hand.  I'm assuming that it felt natural enough to not complain.  Being young and with computers being in their "infancy". I probably didn't know that left-handed mice were a thing.  At this point I see no reason to switch to a left-handed mouse as most mice are right-handed.  I'm always curious if I had, or did use my left hand if I would have better control.  At any rate though, I'm content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right handed and tried playing an FPS using the mouse in the left hand. I had no problem using the mouse left handed, but I had a big problem adjusting to using my right hand for the WASD controls as I kept trying to turn left/right instead of strafing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 23:35:08 »
I didn't even touch the mouse with my right-hand today wth. Admittedly I would probably die repeatedly and without mercy if I was to try some FPS while mousing left handed but I hardly ever game anymore so I can get away with using a right handed mouse atm. I think I would go mad if I tried to do any detail type work while mousing left-handed tbh

Offline Kraicheck

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 09:50:44 »
I'm left handed and "grew up" using the mouse right handed. Since I started getting into mechanical keyboards (about 7 years ago) I moved my mouse over to the left keeping the standard button configuration. I've since replaced it with a trackball and now also have a mouse on the right for backup and other people. I game with my right hand mostly out of habit and for ergonomic reasons (the distance between esdf on a TKL and the mouse is about shoulder width).

Offline Piotr Dobrogost

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 14:59:46 »
I have been doing that for a couple of years due to issues with my wrist.  It was a very easy transition for me, I didn't even need to switch the left and right buttons.

Same for me. I will add I managed to "damage" my right wrist in only a couple of days when I was working with the keyboard and mouse placed on a tray and basically I had whole my right hand (excluding palm resting on mouse) in the air. The damage is so severe I feel pain after a couple of minutes of using mouse with the right hand.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 17:20:31 »
Funny thread. Like I posted earlier, I am a righty and I mouse with my left hand. Come to think of it, I use mostly my left hand for using my phone; opening doors, opening bottles, drinking out of cups and glasses. If I "wave" at people I always use my left arm...Guess I'm sort of like 70% righty, 30% lefty.... Reading this thread, lots of people combine left & right :-)

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 12:00:42 »
It depends. I'm left-handed and have always used trackpoints, touchpads and pen-controlled tablets (and rollermouse) with my left hand, but mice/trackballs with my right hand. It's been only in the last few years, that I've started to swap mice and some trackballs to prevent finger strain from too much clicking.

Nowadays, my desktop setup usually looks along the lines of this (except the keyboard is different and I switch to a better right-handed mouse, whenever moving the trackball to the left).

Show Image

Ha!  I use a Kensington Slimblade trackball like yours exclusively left-handed (I'm a righty) and a Logitech Trackman Wheel with my right (because it's VERY much a right-hand device).
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline Zutatensuppe

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:15:28 »
I'm right handed, but use the mouse with left hand at work and right hand at home.
Did not switch the mouse keys tho. :)

Started using the left hand because my right hand/arm started to hurt a while ago.  :(

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:37:47 »
I've been ballin' with my left hand for a few weeks now :cool:

Offline Maave

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:34:30 »
I've been using mice with both hands for several months now. I started to reduce strain, load balancing my hands. It only took a week or two to get used to working left handed, maybe a month to be proficient. It feels completely natural now. I use EitherMouse to flip the button clicks and have different sensitivities on each mouse. Re-wiring the buttons inside would be better though.

Left hand uses a mouse from MS's Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 set (provided by work). Right hand uses a Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop mouse. Unfortunately there aren't many wireless left mice available.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:06:49 »
Another Left-Hander here: I use the mouse with the left, without the switches toggled (wasn't an option at the time this all started), but I use my trackman with the right. Trackpads work either way!
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 21:26:57 »
When I had a desktop workstation instead of a laptop I used dual mice. One on each side of the keyboard - and I would try to use them equally, or whichever hand wasn't typing. And since I only used one at once there was no need for more than one pointer on the OS.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 21:46:32 »
Holy epinadas, I forgot about this thread! I now have a subjectively decent ambidextrous mouse (RMB/LMB mapped for right hand use). Still use the mouse with my left hand sans the 5% of my time spent gaming.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 13:58:59 »
I mouse with my left at work, right hand at home.  I'm right handed.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Gerk

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 20:08:43 »
After several years of shoulder and arm problems with my right arm I switched and now exclusively use my left hand for mousing.  I mostly use a decent gaming mouse (Logitech G700s) and don't swap the buttons (I just got so used to them in the standard layout), but on my recording machine I use a Kensington trackball with my left hand and I do switch the buttons around, it was too weird not to.  I've gotten so used to using my left hand with a mouse now that it feels very strange when I use my right hand mousing.  At first it kind of felt like throwing with your wrong hand and it was hard to do detailed/delicate mousing, but with some practice it feels very normal now.

The one thing that still bugs me about left handed mousing is that so many things are built assuming right handed mousing ... like specialty boards always put macro keys or other things like that on the left side of the keyboard, which means a lot of additional hand motion.  Not that there's a good solution for this (no one wants to make right and left handed boards) ... but it is annoying.  I mostly use tenkeyless type boards these days, but when I do have to use a full sized keyboard it feels very balanced to have the mouse on the left and the numeric keypad on the right.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Kinami

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 04:40:07 »
I'm right-handed but have been using mice--actually Clearly Superior trackballs--left-handed for years now. It makes the most sense on a full-size keyboard, not so much on the Matias Ergo Pro, which is part of why I don't use the Ergo very often. 

Offline vatin

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 06:34:27 »
Im right handed but at work I use CST trackball with my left hand with Kinesis Adv2. With reason being I want to average out the load on my arm. At home I use my mouse on my right hand.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

OLKB Planck V6

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 07:01:19 »
I am right-handed, but I can still use the mouse with my left hand if the right side is too crowded. (I'm not a clean person.)
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 17:00:00 »
I switched to left-hand mousing years ago and love it, except that there are no decent left-hand "vertical" mice (Evoluent sucks hard) so I mouse on both sides.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 14:53:18 »
After destroying my right index finger on cheap mice many years ago, I switched to my left hand. Didn't know anything about RSI back then until the pain struck. It took a while to get used to but at least I felt smarter because my right half of brain got more exercise.  ;D  I didn't swap the buttons because very often I needed to use mice of others.

Now I totally avoid clicking a mouse to preserve my finger joints. I use the keyboard and shortcuts whenever possible. If I have to point and click, I use Logitech T650 touchpad. No more use of mouse!
[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 16:27:41 »
Tp uses two mice... now if only they would make a split mouse.