Author Topic: Question regarding the IKBC MF108 with MX browns  (Read 2082 times)

Offline tomasG2

Question regarding the IKBC MF108 with MX browns
« on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 12:44:36 »
Hi there,

To the people who own this keyboard. Do any of you like the sound of the IKBC MF108 with MX browns? I feel like the sound is so bad compared to other boards with MX browns. Is there a way to make the sound have a deeper "thock" sound? Especially the spacebar, it just sounds so cheap.

Or, can any of you recommend me a keyboard with mx browns that sound better than the ikbc? something I could get online and not custom made. really looking for full size as I use the numpad a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Question regarding the IKBC MF108 with MX browns
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 13:06:24 »
Have you tried some thick PBT replacement key caps?

I should say I don't own that keyboard, but caps can make a big difference in the sound.

Offline tomasG2

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:07:13 »
Yes, I changed them to a vortex pbt caps I had and It still sounds very unpleasant for me.

This is the first all metal keyboard I have and tbh I really dont like how it sounds. The quality of the keyboard is undeniable, its very well built but for some reason the sound for it is just unpleasant to listen to.

Really looking for some way I could make the sound have a deeper sound.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:49:12 »
Yes, I changed them to a vortex pbt caps I had and It still sounds very unpleasant for me.

This is the first all metal keyboard I have and tbh I really dont like how it sounds. The quality of the keyboard is undeniable, its very well built but for some reason the sound for it is just unpleasant to listen to.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-21-Inch-Dampening-Acoustic-SF01/dp/B0040JHMH6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T17M0SFWD6JW1631AAEV buy something like that and put it under the PCB, which helps attenuating the ping caused by the aluminium case

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:53:05 by moh18one »

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 00:15:02 »
Mx browns really just don't sound good anyways and they just can't because of how they are made

Offline tomasG2

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:49:41 »
Mx browns really just don't sound good anyways and they just can't because of how they are made

Hmm, what tactile switch would you think sounds the best? zealios?

From what i've seen from youtube videos is that MX brown can sound decent but this board in particular, the IKBC MF just sounds bad, there were not too many videos online showcasing the sound of the mx browns on this board so I kinda didnt know what I was getting into. The sound of this board is very different from the sound of other MX browns keyboards i've listened on youtube which I find very weird.

Most of the brands you can buy without being customs are cherry MX and I really dont know well enough to built a custom one myself and also what i've found is that most customs are TKL or smaller and I need the numpad since I use it a lot. I also read on another thread that cherry is coming out with new stems so now I'm confused as to weather to return this board and buy a cherry board with new stem and also not aluminum because its apparent that I dont enjoy the typing sound on aluminum boards. Also I dont know how to find out what keyboard comes with the new stems and what keyboard does not.

Cheers.

Do you have any recommendations for a keyboard that I can buy online with tactile switches that have a nice deep sound?

Thanks man

Offline tomasG2

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:57:00 »

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-21-Inch-Dampening-Acoustic-SF01/dp/B0040JHMH6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T17M0SFWD6JW1631AAEV buy something like that and put it under the PCB, which helps attenuating the ping caused by the aluminium case

If I do this, would I void the warranty? I dont want to void it and then still dont like the way it sounds :S

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 11:45:02 »
Really anything that we can recommend to make the board sound better will require you opening it up. So if voiding the warranty is a big concern of yours I would just return the board. IME alum. cases accentuate the higher pitched noises of the parts, so I'm thinking that is why it sounds unpleasant to you. The only real fixes for this is putting sound dampening material under the PCB (also can be done in between the plate & PCB), lubing the switches (especially the springs), & clipping + lubing the stabilizers. The only one of those that can be done without opening the case is lubing the stabilizers, which I would not do if you're still thinking about returning the board.