geekhack Community > Input Devices

Has anyone put keyboard switches as mouse left and right click yet?

(1/3) > >>

edogast:
So I was thinking if anyone has done this before? Like having mechanical switches as a mouse's left and right input. How would you even get started on something like this? any ideas? Can I just buy a cheap mouse and potentially just solder the mechanical keyboard switch onto the mouse somehow?

https://i.imgur.com/ueJPuETl.png

fohat.digs:
For one thing, keyboard switches are very large and tall compared to mouse switches.
For another, travel distance is much greater.

suicidal_orange:
As fohat says, the travel makes keyboard switches a bad fit for a mouse.  They could work if the hinge was at the front of the mouse with a big lever pressing a key switch which was at the back, but you'd need a custom case for that.

Electrically all a switch does is complete the circuit so you could use the internals of any mouse and just handwire the switches to the holes.

jennyluce:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Mon, 10 January 2022, 10:35:06 ---As fohat says, the travel makes keyboard switches a bad fit for a mouse.  They could work if the hinge was at the front of the mouse with a big lever pressing a key switch which was at the back, but you'd need a custom case for that.

Electrically all a switch does is complete the circuit so you could use the internals of any mouse and just handwire the switches to the holes.

--- End quote ---
this would be great, he can get a case customized as per his wish.

Handke:
To make the travel distance smaller you can use:

cherry mx speed

o-rings

pre-compress the switch (using gmk silencing clips). They press a little bit the top part of the stem (the protruding rectangle), thus making the travel distance smaller. Surely you can think of something that has a bigger groove than those clips, to further press the switch inside the housing. Or you can 3d-print a small plate / gasket that will be added on the top of the stem, and be kept in place by the clip (the hole will be cross shaped to prevent rotations and to tighten the placement).

Or use different switches, cherry makes 3 other types of mechanical switches, with mx mount.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version