Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611235 times)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1850 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 22:34:41 »
Arch

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1851 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:36:39 »
When considering a migration, make a list of all the software you regularly use, say in a spreadsheet, and try to find if each application is cross-platform, or what the most common alternative is.

Switching to cross-platform software ahead of time also helps, in fact, switching to it in the first place is best since it ensures everyone else can also read what you send them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Altis

« Reply #1852 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 13:21:01 »
When considering a migration, make a list of all the software you regularly use, say in a spreadsheet, and try to find if each application is cross-platform, or what the most common alternative is.

Switching to cross-platform software ahead of time also helps, in fact, switching to it in the first place is best since it ensures everyone else can also read what you send them.

It's also good advice not to be too deep into any "ecosystem" so that getting out or changing becomes a colossal hassle.

It doesn't help that so many "services" (even software is a "service" these days) want to glue you in to their "ecosystem" these days.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1853 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 16:22:09 »

It's also good advice not to be too deep into any "ecosystem" so that getting out or changing becomes a colossal hassle.

It doesn't help that so many "services" (even software is a "service" these days) want to glue you in to their "ecosystem" these days.

Good point - there's services also.

If you rely on iCloud, or Microsoft's equivalent (is there one?) then that would be challenging to move across to a different platform.

Something like Google's suite of online apps should just migrate - if you use Chrome on all platforms for the best experience.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1854 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 20:34:09 »
macOS, I must say, has remained pretty much exactly the same since 10.0 (released in 2001, currently up to 10.13 released in 2017), with only minor incremental changes to window decorations and included tools.
Mandatory autosave, which changed the official document loading model, introduced in MacOS X 10.7 "Lion".
I would say that's a pretty significant user interface change. But yes, not something that pops up in your face.

Then there have been numerous things under the hood: application signing, file versioning, new file system etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 20:36:37 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1855 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 22:25:58 »
macOS, I must say, has remained pretty much exactly the same since 10.0 (released in 2001, currently up to 10.13 released in 2017), with only minor incremental changes to window decorations and included tools.
Mandatory autosave, which changed the official document loading model, introduced in MacOS X 10.7 "Lion".
I would say that's a pretty significant user interface change. But yes, not something that pops up in your face.

Then there have been numerous things under the hood: application signing, file versioning, new file system etc.

But not things like completely redesigning (or removing) the primary means of starting applications ("start menu") from version to version, completely redesigning the control panel between versions, keeping graphics from 20 years ago in the latest and "greatest" version.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1856 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 02:46:10 »
Something like Google's suite of online apps should just migrate - if you use Chrome on all platforms for the best experience.
Beware... be very aware..
Google has started playing games using non standards complaint items in Chrome, so while that is fine and dandy so long as you have access to Google Chrome... Some of those features do NOT work with the open source Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, I.E. or Edge. So yes, it is cross platform, but it still is proprietary and if they decide to drop it or shift focus, you may be screwed.

Also, Google Docs are tied to Google Drive.
Linux users are still waiting for a native Google Drive client, which was promised years ago.

The best cross platform cloud system I have found so far has been Mega, lots of space, works on anything, though the trash system has some issues if you have multiple files of the same name.

Network shares were re-worked (in a very bad way) as was Disk utility (oh god what have they done!) and the entire keyboard management system (which broke Karabiner).

I (and many others) would actually argue MacOs has actually become less and less intuitive as it has aged. A long time, typical user would not see much due to them being incremental, but going back and forth between ecosystems over the years it's easier to see, especially under workstation, admin or Hackintosh use.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #1857 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 08:28:33 »
Mac OS is offtopic and an annoyance.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1858 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 09:03:29 »
Many years ago at the end of the Mac/PPC days right before they announced their switch to Intel, I was lured into getting a Mac because I thought that MacOS X would be a reasonable Unix system comparable to the Linux system I had before. I was wrong then, and all I have heard about MacOS X since then has only confirmed by belief that it is far from being decent substitute for a Linux installation.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 09:05:17 by Findecanor »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1859 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:27:30 »
Installed Void on a Pentium 4 machine. Hey, Void is not bad. I now understand why sth recommends it. Xmonad works with i686 Void but I wasn't able to install xmonad-contrib. Which I assume contains the modules to load bars. I guess bspwm/dwm/i3wm will work for now. One of these days I'll have a working xmonad/bar. Void tho :thumb: Lovin' XBPS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1860 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 06:25:32 »
Installed Void on a Pentium 4 machine. Hey, Void is not bad. I now understand why sth recommends it. Xmonad works with i686 Void but I wasn't able to install xmonad-contrib. Which I assume contains the modules to load bars. I guess bspwm/dwm/i3wm will work for now. One of these days I'll have a working xmonad/bar. Void tho :thumb: Lovin' XBPS

Pentium 4, really needs dat nvidia Ti4600 to really shine on retro..

If it's a 4ghz overclocked pentium 4,  That would push all the way up to 6800 Ultra.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1861 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 10:49:08 »

Pentium 4, really needs dat nvidia Ti4600 to really shine on retro..

If it's a 4ghz overclocked pentium 4,  That would push all the way up to 6800 Ultra.

The OS takes up 96mb/2.5G of ram. No too shabby for a modern distribution. I may spring for some newer components but I'm not much of a gamer to be honest. The real end game was to install Void on a i686 system. Maybe emulate soundblaster for those wolf3d/keen/larry sessions. :))

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1862 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:39:41 »

welcome to the void :)

try xmonad + lemonbar and call your bar script from .xinitrc. lemonbar in void-packages has the xft patch available for smooth fonts:

cwm is also very nice if you like floaters!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1863 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:54:09 »

welcome to the void :)

try xmonad + lemonbar and call your bar script from .xinitrc. lemonbar in void-packages has the xft patch available for smooth fonts:
Show Image

cwm is also very nice if you like floaters!

Oh my, that desktop.. :) Haskell is neat albeit a bit intimidating. Thanks for the advice! From what I understand of lemonbar I might be able to switch over my i3block scripts without much hassle.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1864 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 16:36:25 »
Decided it was time to finally try it. I was intimidated by it for years, but wanted to just sit and do it.
(Actually, what got me into keyboards here was going on a different site and looking up how to customize Android after I switched from iOS, and then discovering all the ways you could set up Linux. Then I started seeing desktop setups and got curious about keebs.)

Anyway, I installed the default Ubuntu. It was only a few days before I tinkered with different desktop environments before finally settling on Xfce so far. I love it. So much customization out of the box.
I'm still learning a lot. I messed up something the other night and my screen was blank after rebooting. Took me an hour to get it running correctly, and even now I'm still not sure what I did but I fixed it (I think).

I love being able to match the themes to what I have in my phone. It's nice working on school stuff on a screen that I customized. I don't know anything about terminal commands, either, but thanks to the internet and having spare laptops at home I'm able to keep other computers open to find help and resources.

Would still like to try Arch one day but for now I'm content with Ubuntu + Xfce.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1865 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 17:22:50 »
My recent journey of Linux led me to Devuan, while previously I was using LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition 2.0), and again before that was using simply Linux Mint.
Devuan is basically Debian. It is very stable, and somewhat "conservative" because this projects "Devuan" (stands for "Debian for Veteran Un*x Administrators") started from the idea of sticking to SysVinit and staying away from the counter-unix philosophy aspects of Systemd; So Devuan is by definition Debian with SysVinit and without any 'contamination' by Systemd.
My fear is only that as more and more applications / packages / projects are built based on common popular system dependencies, part of which Systemd will become, then Devuan may run into some technical challenges of supporting packages that are not built upon SysVinit in mind at all.

I started with RedHat 4.0, when I still had to compile hardware feature supports into the kernel. I also played a little with CentOS and FreeBSD. And then played with Ubuntu a little when it was popular, and I hated to decide between KDE vs Enlightenment - which were the biggest two while windows manager like IceWM and Window Maker were not so appealing. Currently I am either running MATE or Xfce mostly.

I highly recommend Devuan; but there are more Free Software complying distributions with more customization options in terms of build and dependencies from the ground up if you have time to invest.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1866 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 20:14:29 »
I'm being recruited for a QA job with RedHat. Might contact them back.  :cool:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1867 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 02:53:22 »

This is interesting. Two years ago I was at the point where I thought: if I can improve my productivity using linux (you know.. going to a tiling wm, doing everything withing emacs/vim, etc.), perhaps I can do the same using iOS and apps. Boy was I proven wrong. I used todoist for todo's, Apple's Note app for taking notes, iBook for pdfs, Airmail for mail (actually the least worst on iOS IMHO), and fantastical 2 for calendars and meetings.

It was freakin' horrible. Graphical UIs may look pretty, but they literally drag you down in productivity. All these apps have their best intentions, but this "it's so usable check out our super simple UI"-hype works counterproductive. All apps have their own UI concepts, their own places for common tasks. Everytime you open one of the apps you have to think. And then everything looks different on iOS versus OS X Desktop. And it is SLOOOW.

I truly think that opening my laptop, waiting it to resume from suspend, and then entering my emacs session again in tmux is faster than unlocking my phone or ipad and checking out notifications. And then there's the question "where's my data". Now my university went Google everything, so I'm fine with that, it's their responsibility. I'm not fan of the privacy policy but google apps work way better than what the university was providing us with. But privately I try to stay away from these ecosystems / data platforms.

Long lesson short: stick to emacs or vim as your OS for productivity. It's one concise UI, you can customize it exactly to behave as your mind is wired.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1868 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:02:45 »
I'm being recruited for a QA job with RedHat. Might contact them back.  :cool:

Cool!  Congrats :)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1869 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:19:15 »
Switched from Linux Mint to Manjaro.
Really enjoying Arch so far.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1870 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 10:27:03 »
Switched from Linux Mint to Manjaro.
Really enjoying Arch so far.

It took me four days but I finally have Arch installed. Granted, I know next to nothing about computers but told myself to just sit down and do it.
Looking into the -BSD distros right now, but not before I learn how to use emacs and vim.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1871 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 11:49:37 »
I've found that NetBSD is fairly great for a slightly pkgsrc deficient BSD platform. There was no need for me to install anything extra to enable compiling from various sources, so that's Kinda neat.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #1872 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 12:22:08 »
I've run a few distros... Ubuntu, fedora, Manjaro, Solus, debian, and Arch. I love to distro hop but I always come back to Arch(installed the Arch way). But i also use win10 ltsb on my gaming rig.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1873 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:09:28 »
I've probably used 40-50 distros over the years. Almost always end up on a lightweight Ubuntu derivative though.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1874 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 15:38:02 »
Guess what.. I have never been fan of rolling releases because previously (around 2005-2008) stuff kept breaking (I look at you, Arch). Once every two months or so I had to resolve conflicts and so forth.

But now I'm about to switch to Arch. Why? Coz upgrading Ubuntu to new releases isn't great either. It was just brought under my attention when I wanted to install a package that my short term release is not supported anymore. Yes, I was able to update my sources.list with archived ubuntu repos.

But a rolling release may be better... never have to upgrade to a major release ever again. Fingers crossed that Arch's rolling releases are better than previously..

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1875 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 15:53:44 »
Guess what.. I have never been fan of rolling releases because previously (around 2005-2008) stuff kept breaking (I look at you, Arch). Once every two months or so I had to resolve conflicts and so forth.

But now I'm about to switch to Arch. Why? Coz upgrading Ubuntu to new releases isn't great either. It was just brought under my attention when I wanted to install a package that my short term release is not supported anymore. Yes, I was able to update my sources.list with archived ubuntu repos.

But a rolling release may be better... never have to upgrade to a major release ever again. Fingers crossed that Arch's rolling releases are better than previously..

*psssst*

tryyyyy voooooiiiiiid
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1876 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:05:34 »
I had x glitch artifacts with Manjaro on the eight month, but nothing to phone in during the past few months running Vanilla Arch (installed the Arch way).

sth speaks the truth though, there's something magical about Void and runit.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1877 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:05:44 »

*psssst*

tryyyyy voooooiiiiiid

That looks AWESOME. What does it provide over Arch, besides SystemD-free (appealing in and of itself already).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1878 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 18:51:08 »

*psssst*

tryyyyy voooooiiiiiid

That looks AWESOME. What does it provide over Arch, besides SystemD-free (appealing in and of itself already).

a faster package manager (with an awesome package selection), really novel AND useful build system, an assumption that you don't need a wiki full of config examples to just do whatever you need to do with it however you want to

it feels a lot like pre-systemd arch. very bsd-ish for a linux.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1879 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 20:17:30 »
But i also use win10 ltsb on my gaming rig.
Only way I can stand Win10 these days.
This is about how early betas were, free of the junk and it made for a pretty decent OS.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1880 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 20:58:13 »
I've found that NetBSD is fairly great for a slightly pkgsrc deficient BSD platform. There was no need for me to install anything extra to enable compiling from various sources, so that's Kinda neat.

I've poked around with NetBSD a few times, mostly to get something modern running on random ancient hardware, like DEC and Sparc machines.

It's ok, small and self-contained.  pkgsrc can be a pain if you need to do a bulk update, especially on slow systems.  pkgin is supposed to alleviate that somewhat, being a binary package manager (of sorts).  I am yet to try pkgin in any serious way.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1881 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:53:12 »
I've actually considered putting NetBSD on my Sharp X68000 but before I can even do that I need to replace the PSU. Still undecided whether I want to:
  • Sell the system.
  • Repair the system and leave it on Human68k OS.
  • Repair the system and install NetBSD.
  • Gut the system and put in custom hardware running Linux or similar.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #1882 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:54:23 »
alpine
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1883 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 05:29:10 »

I've poked around with NetBSD a few times, mostly to get something modern running on random ancient hardware, like DEC and Sparc machines.

It's ok, small and self-contained.  pkgsrc can be a pain if you need to do a bulk update, especially on slow systems.  pkgin is supposed to alleviate that somewhat, being a binary package manager (of sorts).  I am yet to try pkgin in any serious way.

At the moment I try to install with pkgin first if possible. A few linux packages (for NetBSD) took 5-12hrs to compile due to dependencies. Praise SUSE integration.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1884 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:28:48 »
alpine

I believe you are talking about the linux distribution, but not this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(email_client)

And then this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(email_client)

I still have some mails archived in this format - but really want an indexed solution.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline kgolden

« Reply #1885 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:19:43 »
This is about how early betas were, free of the junk and it made for a pretty decent OS.

Same here. I really like this version. No store, cortana or feature upgrades. Hopefully one day I can completely switch to linux. If it weren't for the games I like, I'd be linux only.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1886 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:04:00 »

Same here. I really like this version. No store, cortana or feature upgrades. Hopefully one day I can completely switch to linux. If it weren't for the games I like, I'd be linux only.
Same here.
Linux is just so much more fun for me, on all fronts.
Only thing keeping me on Win is the vidja games.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1887 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:11:34 »

Same here.

I had no idea what I was doing with Arch so I wound up wiping my laptop's HDD rather than trying to dual-boot Linux and Win10. That laptop is the only one I had Windows installed, and now I have no access to my Steam account (unless I install it on my work computer...but probably not).
But Windows was so sluggish and slowing down my computer. I had no idea how fast it could be--even at six years old--until I started using Linux without all that bloat.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #1888 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 11:48:54 »
I use Gentoo at work (and at home). It's my favorite distro! Also makes compiling specific bits into packages (I do this at work a lot) much easier.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1889 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 11:50:47 »
Been curious about using Gentoo before but never actually have. Will have to try someday.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1890 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 11:53:02 »

Same here.

I had no idea what I was doing with Arch so I wound up wiping my laptop's HDD rather than trying to dual-boot Linux and Win10. That laptop is the only one I had Windows installed, and now I have no access to my Steam account (unless I install it on my work computer...but probably not).
But Windows was so sluggish and slowing down my computer. I had no idea how fast it could be--even at six years old--until I started using Linux without all that bloat.

To be fair, Windows 10 offers quite decent user experience for me on older systems (x64 still).
I still use windows mainly for a few native Windows applications, e.g. OneNote, Words. But I stick mostly to cross-platform packages, such as Emacs, Mendeley; and I cannot tolerate using Windows with Cygwin.

I haven't tried Arch Linux.
But for user experience, I highly recommend Linux Mint over most other distributions - I know it is not 100% FSF compliant though.
Linux used to be very robust, and it was quite easy to maintain and save a system when something goes wrong. The switch to Systemd from SysVinit makes things more compact and centralized, all in all much like Windows registry. It can be said its more compact, but it is a lot harder to sort out problems, and also save a system when something has gone wrong.
Let's see where will mainstream Linux go.

More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline sleepy

« Reply #1891 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 11:56:35 »
Been curious about using Gentoo before but never actually have. Will have to try someday.

I really like it. A lot of people joke about compile times, but honestly I've not had anything more than 10 minutes or so on newer hardware. I've also got a binary host setup with pre-compiled packages according to my USE flags.

Same here.

To be fair, Windows 10 offers quite decent user experience for me on older systems (x64 still).
I still use windows mainly for a few native Windows applications, e.g. OneNote, Words. But I stick mostly to cross-platform packages, such as Emacs, Mendeley; and I cannot tolerate using Windows with Cygwin.

But for user experience, I highly recommend Linux Mint over most other distributions - I know it is not 100% FSF compliant though.
Linux used to be very robust, and it was quite easy to maintain and save a system when something goes wrong. The switch to Systemd from SysVinit makes things more compact and centralized, all in all much like Windows registry. It can be said its more compact, but it is a lot harder to sort out problems, and also save a system when something has gone wrong.

You should try Gentoo Linux, you're able to choose your own init system! I use OpenRC.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1892 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:03:36 »

Same here.

I'm dedicating this week to learning emacs. I'm no coder or programmer by any means, but I've been reading articles and watching videos showing how emacs with org mode can be a better writing tool, and so I would like to see how that is for me as a student with taking lecture notes and writing papers. The goal would be to untether myself from the mouse and Word, and then see if I can use Vim and emacs with org mode (through evil mode in Spacemacs or Doom emacs). Of course, since my professors more than likely use Word I would need to convert everything, but baby steps first.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #1893 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:13:10 »

Same here.

I'm dedicating this week to learning emacs. I'm no coder or programmer by any means, but I've been reading articles and watching videos showing how emacs with org mode can be a better writing tool, and so I would like to see how that is for me as a student with taking lecture notes and writing papers. The goal would be to untether myself from the mouse and Word, and then see if I can use Vim and emacs with org mode (through evil mode in Spacemacs or Doom emacs). Of course, since my professors more than likely use Word I would need to convert everything, but baby steps first.

If you're looking to learn VIM, there's a really awesome interactive tutorial here:

http://www.openvim.com/

It's totally helpful for getting used to the basics! This plus a cheatsheet on your desk should help you get started in no time.  :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1894 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:17:20 »

Same here.

If you're looking to learn VIM, there's a really awesome interactive tutorial here:

http://www.openvim.com/

It's totally helpful for getting used to the basics! This plus a cheatsheet on your desk should help you get started in no time.  :)

Yeah! I've been doing that yesterday and today. Last night I went through the Vimtutor in Spacemacs.
This morning I found myself wanting to navigate through Vim and using other keybinds...on my Windows 7 work computer...

(Also, neverending quotations ftw.)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1895 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:35:04 »

Same here.

If you are going that path (untether from Word), there is an easy path and a hard core path:
[easy] - use LibreOffice which allows you to collaborate with common users (ODT, DOC, DOCX, compatibility); it is really a relic of the now dead Sun MicroSystem.
[hardcore] - use LaTeX, a dinosaur but still alive doc processing system - and you offers mostly PDF and image files to common users.

There are many LaTeX packages, and a few offers easy integration with Emacs.
In Linux, I have success with TexLive when paired with Emacs.
There is a well-known Emacs package (yes, there are hundreds of packages to try out or to experiment with WITHIN Emacs) called AUCTex which facilitates using LaTeX / TeX within Emacs.
Learning Emacs usually involves learning how to config your initialization file (the .emacs file in your home directory) and therefore understanding a bit of Emacs Lisp, via which the whole extensible and flexible Emacs application is built upon. Learning curve of the hard core path is steep, but you will rejoice after getting used to the slope, and many other techs will be at your fingertips.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1896 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:44:59 »
I really like it. A lot of people joke about compile times, but honestly I've not had anything more than 10 minutes or so on newer hardware. I've also got a binary host setup with pre-compiled packages according to my USE flags.
I used to run Gentoo a long time ago, couldn't get it to work with GPT when that was new so had to change.  Compiling a kernel on a 2.0ghz P4 laptop took significantly longer than 10 minutes :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #1897 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:54:42 »
I just recently made the move from Debian 8.2 to 9.-whatever's out now after upgrading my laptop (latitude E6410 to E7450).  Stretch or something?  Anyways, I really only use it on my school/work laptop because I play too many games on my desktop and do some slight music recording and such so I need to have a dedicated Windows box.  There are some things that I need for school that require programs that are Windows-only so I keep a small VM on here too for those few things.  Beyond that though, it's pretty much stock Debian with gnome.  I uninstalled a bucha stuff that came with the non-free version (because I didn't want to deal with finding wireless firmware).  One thing that I did that's non-stock is I threw the numix theme on it.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #1898 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 13:05:06 »
I used to run Gentoo a long time ago, couldn't get it to work with GPT when that was new so had to change.  Compiling a kernel on a 2.0ghz P4 laptop took significantly longer than 10 minutes :))

Hehe, I remember reading about someone finding their roommate's laptop in the fridge compiling a Gentoo kernel. The kernel compiling always takes quite a bit. There's much better GPT support now if you'd want to try again, there's sections in the handbook for it!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1899 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 14:24:13 »

Same here.

If you are going that path (untether from Word), there is an easy path and a hard core path:
[easy] - use LibreOffice which allows you to collaborate with common users (ODT, DOC, DOCX, compatibility); it is really a relic of the now dead Sun MicroSystem.
[hardcore] - use LaTeX, a dinosaur but still alive doc processing system - and you offers mostly PDF and image files to common users.

There are many LaTeX packages, and a few offers easy integration with Emacs.
In Linux, I have success with TexLive when paired with Emacs.
There is a well-known Emacs package (yes, there are hundreds of packages to try out or to experiment with WITHIN Emacs) called AUCTex which facilitates using LaTeX / TeX within Emacs.
Learning Emacs usually involves learning how to config your initialization file (the .emacs file in your home directory) and therefore understanding a bit of Emacs Lisp, via which the whole extensible and flexible Emacs application is built upon. Learning curve of the hard core path is steep, but you will rejoice after getting used to the slope, and many other techs will be at your fingertips.

Last month I used vim-latexsuite to assist me with a resume/cover letter. From my limited experience latex can be very rewarding. The power of Libreoffice with the speed of a text editor.