Author Topic: How to identify the keycap layout for each of this versions of DZ60 and others?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline takk

I want to buy a good keycap set to fit on most pre-builts out there, like the GK61, Anne Pro 2, RK61, DZ60 , and similar, as I don't plan on buying customs as its too expensive for my country and when needed I would simply switch for another pre-built, keeping the good keycaps.

The only question I have is about layout. What should I look for when choosing it? I think most will fit the standard ones like GK61, Anne Pro 2, RK61, but look at the DZ60 from KBDFans, one of the boards I'm they have 5 layout options, but I noticed some keys, like the RSHIFT have a different size in 3 of them. How do I know which keycap set would fit it? Is there any easy way to identify by just looking at it? Here is how they look:

Basically I want something as universal as possible to fit a lot of boards and that lasts a long time, while accepting suggestions on how to identify layouts and how to buy the right keyset. Do I have to be looking at full kits for this? Do they come with those different RSHIFTs?

How to I learn to identify the correct set without needing to ask everytime if keycap set X will fit board Y?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Layout 2 shows the standard big shift key and layout 4 is a smaller one used on a lot of 60% boards so you can have an FN key on the edge of the board.  These are both so popular and standard that they are found in nearly all keycap sets, definitely any set you see in a group buy here (unless it's specifically designed for an unusual board, which will be made clear)

Layout 5 is very rare and uses a tiny right shift as well as a smaller left shift to get a different stagger between the letter rows and another extra key.  This is definitely not standard so expect to buy an extra kit when you buy a set of keycaps to make this work, or in your case just avoid it.

How to tell?  Keys are measured in units where a standard letter is 1x1, if you measure each other cap in these units you will see that the big shift is 2.75 wide and the smaller one is 1.75.  You can also look compared to the Enter key above - if shift sticks out half a key it's normal.  Usually when looking at keycap sets the big shift is shown in the main layout with the smaller shift and a standard size key in the same colour next to it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline takk

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Maybe I'm looking into the wrong places, but the smaller shift (not the tiny) doesn't seem to come in a lot of sets. There are some sets that do come with extra keys for different layouts, but there are also many fixed sets, especially the 104 key ones, like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4327 Is there any other key in the keyboard that would fit in there?

To find a set with the shift from layout 4, I have to get the options that offers replacements, right? Like a boot enter and a normal one, etc.

As I'm looking for something basic but durable, black+translucent or black+white in PBT double-shot or dye-sub I guess I have less options. Will stick with the bigger shift layouts in this case as its safer!

Thank you again!

Layout 2 shows the standard big shift key and layout 4 is a smaller one used on a lot of 60% boards so you can have an FN key on the edge of the board.  These are both so popular and standard that they are found in nearly all keycap sets, definitely any set you see in a group buy here (unless it's specifically designed for an unusual board, which will be made clear)

Layout 5 is very rare and uses a tiny right shift as well as a smaller left shift to get a different stagger between the letter rows and another extra key.  This is definitely not standard so expect to buy an extra kit when you buy a set of keycaps to make this work, or in your case just avoid it.

How to tell?  Keys are measured in units where a standard letter is 1x1, if you measure each other cap in these units you will see that the big shift is 2.75 wide and the smaller one is 1.75.  You can also look compared to the Enter key above - if shift sticks out half a key it's normal.  Usually when looking at keycap sets the big shift is shown in the main layout with the smaller shift and a standard size key in the same colour next to it.