Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 233240 times)

Offline dodzylla

Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 06:48:35 »
This keyboard lokes awesome, i hope we will got one ISO version. Then i will buy one, i got now a roccat RYOS mk , but this keyboard is a nightmare, uncomfortable as hell...

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #301 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:24:49 »
Hoping for no rubber coating. Time for CM to ditch it already.

Offline dante

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:20:50 »

I don't mind the gray/silver rubber coating on the original QFR.  The black rubber coating however attracts finger prints like crazy.

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:53:44 »
I dont like the noise of it. It appears to be noisier than my cm quickfire tk with cherry mx red with o-rings.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:56:23 »
This was posted on deskthority a couple days ago:
http://imgur.com/a/n7nER
RETIRED

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:00:43 »
The rubberized coating on the new Rapid-i feels pretty different (silky and less grippy) compared to the original QFRs. I'm guessing the Novatouch coating would be similar to the new QFR-is.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:10:02 »
If it came in 55g, I would've waited. Now, I just ordered a RF 55g
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:43:12 »

I don't mind the gray/silver rubber coating on the original QFR.  The black rubber coating however attracts finger prints like crazy.

I agree.

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:49:50 »
As long as I can buy replacement case I am happy.

Offline remdell

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 16:25:15 »
As long as I can buy replacement case I am happy.
That might not be so readily available due to the location of the USB...
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:46:09 »
I dont like the noise of it. It appears to be noisier than my cm quickfire tk with cherry mx red with o-rings.
I'm very heavy fingered. Logitech domes can't last more than a year with me  :-X

Likely their omission of stating that the switches are Topre would be to keep customers. Once the customer realizes the switch type isn't anything exclusive to Cooler Master and that they have options, they'll just google for other Topre boards and buy one of those. After all, the switch type is one of the main selling points of the board. Maybe 1 in 10 consumers would be interested in the MX keycap compatibility at best (outside of the keyboard enthusiast communities).

After all, why would the consumer wait for a product that is already available if the alternatives will meet their needs?
It's very simple. Topre is trademarked.
For those still waiting on this, I pinged Cooler Master on twitter and this is the response I got "Still in the works, should be ready by the end of this month. We waited to make sure all the product scheduling was on track."

End of the month? That's about a week...  ;D
Been asking ever since I tried out the novatouch ...

Likely their omission of stating that the switches are Topre would be to keep customers. Once the customer realizes the switch type isn't anything exclusive to Cooler Master and that they have options, they'll just google for other Topre boards and buy one of those. After all, the switch type is one of the main selling points of the board. Maybe 1 in 10 consumers would be interested in the MX keycap compatibility at best (outside of the keyboard enthusiast communities).

After all, why would the consumer wait for a product that is already available if the alternatives will meet their needs?
1) The novatouch is better built than the type heaven is. 2) Are there any uniform weight RFs?
This keyboard lokes awesome, i hope we will got one ISO version. Then i will buy one, i got now a roccat RYOS mk , but this keyboard is a nightmare, uncomfortable as hell...
Ouch man. I always knew about the ryos MK but never knew it's a nightmare ... Is it true? Why is that so?
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:51:34 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #311 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 04:03:26 »

But this is a Topre board, it's printed on the PCB.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline dodzylla

« Reply #312 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 04:56:00 »
I got the cherry Mx black version. First of all, i play a lot dota 2, in high lvl , so these buttons are very  bad for this game, too slow, and for starcraft 2 too. The keyboard got a very great handrest what is very uncomfortable, + the complete keyboard is too huge. I think this keyboard was developed by engineers, not by "players" or somebody who play games a lot.

Sorry for my bad english.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:14:19 »
Sooo... a keyboard (Roccat Ryos) is a nightmare, because it has MX Black switches and it's huge? And you didn't know what you were buying? It sounds like if someone was complaining that they bought an IBM Model M, but it was loud and heavy...

Offline dodzylla

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:57:09 »
I got this as a gift, nightmare because of very uncomfortable to my hands, mb once you will try one and you will know. Nobody use roccat keyboards for "pro" gaming, i think this is enough to say.

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:59:31 »
I don't care what kinda coating it has, I just want dem stems!!
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:20:56 »
Nobody use roccat keyboards for "pro" gaming, i think this is enough to say.
That only says something about sponsorships.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:25:58 »

xDDDDDD

Razer Blackwidow & Logitech G710+ best keyboards EU!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:30:37 »
Cool.

I am just going to go ahead and say it. The most exciting thing about this is that we may finally see affordable Topre. As much as I like Topre, I can not get behind the prices of the keyboards that have them. But yeah, the keycap thing is something to be excited about too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:33:25 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline dante

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:32:46 »
Carter said there is a possibility of a 30g version down the road.  Anyone else excited about this?

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:16:33 »
Carter said there is a possibility of a 30g version down the road.  Anyone else excited about this?

I've gotta admit, this wouldn't be to my tastes, but I can understand that it might be for others.

For me, the 45g uniform RF has been my perfect keyboard to date. Consistent pressure, not too heavy, not too light.

The only thing I wish it had is the backlighting and settings of my Ducky Shine 3. I know that many aren't that sussed about backlighting, but I enjoy working in low-light environments, and while I touch-type, I prefer to have the option of looking down when I'm hunting for certain symbol or function keys.

Offline ajx

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:49:51 »
When it will be released?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:04:43 »
A member did a pretty good review here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61075.0

I figured I'd come into this thread and talk about the pricing, though, instead of there.

Do you think this will create some competition with the Topre boards on EK and we'll maybe see a tiny price battle with both of them dropping in the next few months?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:48:35 »

But this is a Topre board, it's printed on the PCB.
Nothing got to do with them not putting topre switches on the box. Using the word "topre switches" on their boxes will ensue an lawsuit.

xDDDDDD

Razer Blackwidow & Logitech G710+ best keyboards EU!
Blackwidow. Rubbish and overpriced as well as badly built keyboards. Logitech G710+ only available in browns is not aesthetically pleasing or has any special features to redeem itself and is also expensive
A member did a pretty good review here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61075.0

I figured I'd come into this thread and talk about the pricing, though, instead of there.

Do you think this will create some competition with the Topre boards on EK and we'll maybe see a tiny price battle with both of them dropping in the next few months?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56838.0

Did my review as well a long time back.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:51:30 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:21:25 »
Nothing got to do with them not putting topre switches on the box. Using the word "topre switches" on their boxes will ensue an lawsuit.

Did they license the technology but not the name or something? I'm confused. It seems like Topre would want to have its name on the product?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:26:30 »

Did they license the technology but not the name or something? I'm confused. It seems like Topre would want to have its name on the product?

Yeah it makes no sense to me. Not only is Topre printed on the PCB but it's actually the Topre logo. If they don't put it on the box I don't think it would be because of legalities, probably just CM trying to make a name for themselves.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:13:14 »

Yeah it makes no sense to me. Not only is Topre printed on the PCB but it's actually the Topre logo. If they don't put it on the box I don't think it would be because of legalities, probably just CM trying to make a name for themselves.
I basically agree with this. Another possibility is to avoid confusion. Having topre blatnatly labeled everywhere may cause confusion on the keycaps being mx compatible because people are aware that there are topre keycaps (that are not compatible with the novatouch)
RETIRED

Offline intelli78

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:25:26 »
Confirmed that you can swap stems into other Topre boards: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2bzsbv/novatouch_review_update_yes_you_can_swap_stems/

I wonder if they'll sell the stems separately. It would probably have to be at a hefty price, since it would cannibalize sales of the Novatouch. But if they could get the economics right, seems like it could be very profitable to offer both
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:32:04 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 20:11:25 »
Confirmed that you can swap stems into other Topre boards: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2bzsbv/novatouch_review_update_yes_you_can_swap_stems/

I wonder if they'll sell the stems separately. It would probably have to be at a hefty price, since it would cannibalize sales of the Novatouch. But if they could get the economics right, seems like it could be very profitable to offer both
Nice, will probably definitely get it now. I wonder if the stabs are also interchangeable.
RETIRED

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 20:16:21 »

Nice, will probably definitely get it now. I wonder if the stabs are also interchangeable.

Yes, the plastic housings are the exact same. The Novatouch ones just have holes on both sides of the stem.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:20:59 »

I talked with CM HQ about it. The topre name is licensed as a "marketing term" If they put topre wait for the barrage of lawsuits.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:28:57 »

Guys, it is possible to license/use a technology without licensing the name. Unicomp can make buckling spring keyboards all day long, but they quit selling those IBM logos for a very good reason.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:38:54 »

Guys, it is possible to license/use a technology without licensing the name. Unicomp can make buckling spring keyboards all day long, but they quit selling those IBM logos for a very good reason.

Right, they just can't brand their keyboard as "Topre Novatouch" and try to sell it like that. It is probably also part of the agreement that CM has with Topre about branding their product discretely. I don't see why this is such a big deal. We know they're legit Topre boards. Why does it matter what CM marketing spin is put on it?
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 06:13:07 »
My hope is actually that I can remove the PCB, plate, etc., swap out the domes with 30g ones, and put all of that in my RealForce aluminum case (from KBDMod). A lot would have to fall in line for that to work out, but it's not so implausible.
How would you get 30g domes?

I have been wanting 30g domes for a century.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 07:21:14 »
My hope is actually that I can remove the PCB, plate, etc., swap out the domes with 30g ones, and put all of that in my RealForce aluminum case (from KBDMod). A lot would have to fall in line for that to work out, but it's not so implausible.
How would you get 30g domes?

30g Topre Realforce... oh wait, these don't support PS/2, do they?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:37:29 »
30g Topre Realforce...
I can't recall ever seeing any USA Topre keyboard with 30g rubberdomes.   I don't think they ever made one.

Are you saying that these keyboards exist in reality?

Or are you just saying that they might make one someday in the future?

I went to EK just now and they don't have any 30g Topre keyboards listed.

oh wait, these don't support PS/2, do they?
I can't find any Topre 30g keyboards.  Period.

But my original comment was directed towards all 30g (or less) rubberdomes.

I will restate as: I would like to try out some 30g (or less) rubberdome keyboards.  They could be Topre-switch keyboards or just regular cheap rubberdome keyboards ("Rubberdome over membrane").

The new Rubberdome Topre keyboard by Coolermaster is not 30g.
The TypeHeaven Topre is not 30g.
I couldn't see any 30g Topres listed on EK.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:51:41 »
Realforce 89/89U are full 30g Topre keyboards, and WKL too.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #337 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 13:30:23 »
Well, the "end of July" availability date has now come and gone. Anybody seen these things for sale anywhere yet?

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 13:41:21 »
Well, the "end of July" availability date has now come and gone. Anybody seen these things for sale anywhere yet?
Mid-august here ... CM Y U NO FAST

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #339 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:40:01 »
Mid-august here ... CM Y U NO FAST

But actually. Original proposed date of arrival was Q2 of this year iirc... and now we're into August. I have since caved and bought an HHKB to join the elite. Bye bye Novatouch :(

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #340 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:14:24 »
If the rumoured pricing for the keyboard is true, to be around ~200+, then I guess I'll be going for the FC660C :/
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #341 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:27:37 »
If the rumoured pricing for the keyboard is true, to be around ~200+, then I guess I'll be going for the FC660C :/

I don't get this. The FC660c is almost $200 anyway and has a non standard layout. For the small price difference the Novatouch will be a much better purchase.

Am I insane or did you all expect this thing to be priced like an MX board? Topre boards are all pricey and this has way better features than most while still being cheaper than a HHKB.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #342 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:35:13 »

I don't get this. The FC660c is almost $200 anyway and has a non standard layout. For the small price difference the Novatouch will be a much better purchase.

Am I insane or did you all expect this thing to be priced like an MX board? Topre boards are all pricey and this has way better features than most while still being cheaper than a HHKB.
With realforce/HHKB/FC660C you get a solid, complete package right out of the box. The novatouch will come with cheap keycaps, so I think most people are hoping that the price will be compensated for that. Also it is being produced by CM, which is known for offering attractively priced products.
RETIRED

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #343 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:56:17 »

Since the Novatouch is a TKL keyboard mainly using different sliders, I don't see why the cost should be any different from that of a TypeHeaven for around ~$150+. As Xowie said, for 200$, why bother getting a Novatouch that comes with stock ABS keycaps, only to be switched to another keycap set and pay an extra $50+ more, when I can just buy an HHKB for a little bit more than $200 or a Leopold FC660C for a little bit less than $200 which includes the cost of PBT keycaps coming as stock.
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #344 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:58:10 »

Since the Novatouch is a TKL keyboard mainly using different sliders, I don't see why the cost should be any different from that of a TypeHeaven for around ~$150+. As Xowie said, for 200$, why bother getting a Novatouch that comes with stock ABS keycaps, only to be switched to another keycap set and pay an extra $50+ more, when I can just buy an HHKB for a little bit more than $200 or a Leopold FC660C for a little bit less than $200 which includes the cost of PBT keycaps coming as stock.

That's fair, if you're happy with stock caps then this probably isn't the board for you.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:04:10 »

Voice of reason.

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:32:51 »

That's fair, if you're happy with stock caps then this probably isn't the board for you.

Happy with stock keycaps? No sir, I'm talking about quality keycaps. From your "replace stock keycaps on novatouch" logic: if I were to get an HHKB or FC660C for around 230$, you would waste another $50-$100 to buy a "new" "replacement" keycap set for those keyboards that already have quality keycaps. If a keyboard comes with quality PBT keycaps, whether dyesub or blank, why should I bother wasting money getting a replacement set? The NovaTouch comes with ABS keycaps, so of course I would replace stock ABS keycaps with some quality PBT keycaps or at least some doubeshots. I'd rather not spend the extra $50 to $100 for a thick PBT dyesub set for the novatouch, when I can pay only slightly more for an HHKB or FC660C.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:34:37 by ViciousWhiskers »
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #347 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:39:44 »

Just wondering, where do you find HHKB's for a bit more than $200? I know it happens because I recently bought one used for $210, but I feel like they don't pop up at that price very often (maybe once a month at most?). (If occasional classified's finds are what you are talking about, then whoosh, ignore me :P).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #348 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:45:04 »

Happy with stock keycaps? No sir, I'm talking about quality keycaps. From your "replace stock keycaps on novatouch" logic: if I were to get an HHKB or FC660C for around 230$, you would waste another $50-$100 to buy a "new" "replacement" keycap set for those keyboards that already have quality keycaps. If a keyboard comes with quality PBT keycaps, whether dyesub or blank, why should I bother wasting money getting a replacement set? The NovaTouch comes with ABS keycaps, so of course I would replace stock ABS keycaps with some quality PBT keycaps or at least some doubeshots. I'd rather not spend the extra $50 to $100 for a thick PBT dyesub set for the novatouch, when I can pay only slightly more for an HHKB or FC660C.

Then you're clearly not the target audience for this board. Why would they put decent caps on a board that's main selling point is the ability to add MX caps? Then you'd all be complaining that they'd juiced up the price for caps you don't want. And I'd also like to know where you're getting HHKB's so cheaply.

Out of curiousity I decided to do a mini roundup on Topre boards just to clear up pricing.

Type Heaven @ $129 - No TKL available so not a great comparison, ABS Caps, some say not quite as sturdy as Topre boards. Made in China.
Leopold FC660C @ $189 - Lasered PBT (dye sub is $220), solid construction. Made in China.
Realforce 87U @ $199 - PBT dye subs, very well constructed board. Made in Japan.
HHKB @ $260 - Same as above.

None of these boards support MX caps obviously so the question you need to ask yourself is how much do you like the stock ones? We all know sourcing Topre caps is a total joke, you'll be looking at $150+ for a full set.

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:18:48 »
looks exactly as expected, wonder how much quieter it is than blues