Author Topic: Testing custom mods  (Read 1348 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Testing custom mods
« on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 02:58:40 »
I, just like everyone else like to tweak the smallest details to hopefully obtain a better typing experience.  MX Brown at the moment is my current favorite switch and I'm playing with the spring weight as well as different types of springs as well as switch films. 
 I've tried mounting several switches on a board side by side and depressing them, but it doesn't really give you an idea of what it's like to actually type on it.  And then there is variance between individual switches, especially the springs.  I do think you need to mount a lot of switches and actually type on it to decide if it is for you. 

But doing this though it is hard to differentiate subtle differences between of a few grams in weight or force curves, so I'm trying to find a way to objectively test.  I've tried the nickel method, but you have to jump in increments of 5g, plus they fall all over the place. I just purchased this from ebay and with a few more weights I can even add or remove 1 or 2 pounds grams.  I was wondering what techniques others use here.

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Faceman76

Re: Testing custom mods
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 04:55:44 »
Buy a generic switch tester and install whatever switch and spring combos you like.  Or wait for this to be restocked: https://www.spritdesigns.com/product-page/taster
I like box switches and purchased a few bags of Sprit springs to try out.  Found a combo I like, now use the rest, such as heavier springs in macro pads, for space bars, etc.  Could possibly sell the rest on the mech market if need be. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline jcoffin1981

Re: Testing custom mods
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 17:26:32 »
That tester is really cool- can try a lot of springs without having to buy a bag of each.  What i really wanted to know is if anyone has come up with a testing solution that is a little more complex than using stacks of nickels. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.