Author Topic: Finally got my new HHKB Pro 2  (Read 8785 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Finally got my new HHKB Pro 2
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:27:05 »
Update: Felt like giving a quick update.. just want to say that I'm sitll liking my topre, but I'm defo considering selling it and getting a Noppoo Choc Mini with blacks instead ^^' I'll keep using the HHKB for another week or two though, just to be sure!

Well, Topre is supposed to "grow on you", so giving it some time is a good idea. Personally the 45g switches are too light for me, I definitely prefer the feel of 55g.

The Choc Mini has a non standard bottom row, so if you don't like how the POM keycaps feel, you can't change them.... Keycool 84 is more compatible.

But if you're happy with using a 60% size board (like the HHKB) then why not get a Poker II? Or has the experience taught you that you need the F keys and arrows on the default layer?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:58:09 »
Update: Felt like giving a quick update.. just want to say that I'm sitll liking my topre, but I'm defo considering selling it and getting a Noppoo Choc Mini with blacks instead ^^' I'll keep using the HHKB for another week or two though, just to be sure!

Well, Topre is supposed to "grow on you", so giving it some time is a good idea. Personally the 45g switches are too light for me, I definitely prefer the feel of 55g.

The Choc Mini has a non standard bottom row, so if you don't like how the POM keycaps feel, you can't change them.... Keycool 84 is more compatible.

But if you're happy with using a 60% size board (like the HHKB) then why not get a Poker II? Or has the experience taught you that you need the F keys and arrows on the default layer?
I'm honestly not sure with the 60% deal.. I'll have to experiment some more. But noppoo and keycool 84 are appealing to me cause they have everything, but are still compact. I don't really miss having the "missing" keys on my HHKB though, so we'll see what I end up doing :)) I'm definitely liking topre more and more, though!

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 06:11:31 »
I'm honestly not sure with the 60% deal.. I'll have to experiment some more. But noppoo and keycool 84 are appealing to me cause they have everything, but are still compact. I don't really miss having the "missing" keys on my HHKB though, so we'll see what I end up doing :)) I'm definitely liking topre more and more, though!

I don't know what your financial situation looks like but I recommend keeping it if you are able to.

I had my Realforce locked away for maybe 2 months, took it out, fell in love, used it for a week, fell out of love, and now it its back in its box.  But I know in another 2 months I will like it again.

But maybe that's just me.  As I said, MX makes me love Topre and Topre makes me love MX.  If you can, try to have both :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 07:17:01 »
I had my Realforce locked away for maybe 2 months, took it out, fell in love, used it for a week, fell out of love, and now it its back in its box.  But I know in another 2 months I will like it again.

But maybe that's just me.  As I said, MX makes me love Topre and Topre makes me love MX.  If you can, try to have both :)

YES you get that similar feeling like all hostages get when trapped into a failed relationship (thorpie-addiction).  After some time it becomes the ONLY keyboard you have ever used.

Once you tear yourself away and use a real cherry based keyboard then everything becomes normal again, but who again is normal here on Geekhack  ;D ?

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 07:51:04 »

YES you get that similar feeling like all hostages get when trapped into a failed relationship (thorpie-addiction).  After some time it becomes the ONLY keyboard you have ever used.

Once you tear yourself away and use a real cherry based keyboard then everything becomes normal again, but who again is normal here on Geekhack  ;D ?
Man, you're so deep I can't even see you down there :)) anyways.. I'd like to have only one keyboard (dont lynch me, plz!) at a time.. I don't like having something I don't use

Offline Polymer

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 09:57:41 »
Switch back and forth..

If I had to pick only one keyboard, it wouldn't be 60% boards as much as I enjoy them....but luckily I'm not limiting myself to a single board....

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:40:22 »
Which mx switch type you mean? Clears perhaps? possibly so.
Don't think broken in MX browns ever get as smooth as Topre. Just Never. Or you maybe drown the mx switch in oil...

Indeed. Due to this thread I got curious and tried my browns again, but they feel more 'grainy' than my Topre. I think my HHKB is butter smooth. Weirdest thing is that where I first found the tactile feedback lacking, I somehow got used to not bottoming out on my Topre's.

I'd like to see it..sorry, I just don't believe when people say that..Unless you type really slow and in a very oddball fashion (which is also slow) like the like palm of your finger (or whatever it is called..the part w/ your finger prints) like I've seen some person video themselves doing...then I have a hard time believing anyone that says they're not bottoming out at all...

OR you have 30g Topre...in which case I think it is possble...

I have to agree with this.

There is simply no way you can type normally or fast without bottoming out on Topre. Unless you can control your actuation force within fractions of a second. This is difficult at full concentration. Pressing light on the bump and then increasing until you get over the bump then lessening so you don't bottom out which is like a millimeter of distance (from actuation to bottom out).

Yeah... Not possible. Perhaps Topre is so smooth after breaking in its giving you the illusion of not bottoming out. That seems more likely.

Good point. Well, it's all subjective I guess. My 45g Topre feels harder to actuate than my 45g Browns, but I do agree that when typing fast I bottom out a lot more. Perhaps it is indeed the smoothness to it that gives me the impression of not bottoming out. Perhaps a difference is that the HHKB is not plate-mountend, making it feel 'softer' somehow compared to my plate-mounted Filco.

Yeah I agree. I wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, I just understand that it feels like not bottoming out.

My HHKB feels light years different than my FC660C and they are supposed to be both 45g. It is most definitely because the HHKB isn't plate mounted which makes it feel like a lighter switch and softer on the bottom out. So I'm with you on that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:44:44 »

Man, you're so deep I can't even see you down there :)) anyways.. I'd like to have only one keyboard (dont lynch me, plz!) at a time.. I don't like having something I don't use

I have only two mechanical boards now, one for work, one for home, I do not like to commute with them. During the last years I have buy and sell some, including ALPS, BS, and even RD. I have settle down on a Poker X, reds, cherry DS, and a FC660M, browns, PBT dyesub.

Offline RimpactPC

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 22:14:30 »
I just ordered one too!

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:24:52 »
Congrats on your new board! How do the topre switches feel? I have never had the pleasure of testing them.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 18:21:04 »
what's 9 times 10
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 18:22:24 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.