Author Topic: Are all key profiles compatible with all cherry mx type switches?  (Read 3620 times)

Offline 32kms

• computer engineer
I bought some switches kailh speed copper but I don't know if I will have a problem with the height of the keycaps, since these switches have a shorter travel. I would appreciate clarifying this issue.
Thank you

Offline Findecanor

Re: Are all key profiles compatible with all cherry mx type switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 00:13:10 »
Because the Kailh Speed switches are the same size and general shape as Cherry MX, there should be no problem with keycaps on them. You'd just don't press them down as much.

You would only see compatibility problems with some keycaps for Cherry MX on smaller switches, such as low-profile switches. (such as Tesoro Agile, Cherry MX Low Profile, Kailh Choc V2). On those, however, the keycap could reach the bottom before the switch does.

Offline jackrabbit

Re: Are all key profiles compatible with all cherry mx type switches?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 20:36:57 »
Cherry profile keycaps have problems on north-facing switches (upside-down, or logo side of the switch housing facing you)--the key cannot be pressed down all the way, it hits the top of the switch housing. So the travel is reduced, it prevents silent switches from working, and even on non-silent switches the bottom-out sounds worse. Make sure the switches are south-facing if you'll be using Cherry profile caps.
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted