Author Topic: Making a 40% Ergodox compatible PCB with low-pros?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline hellmak

Making a 40% Ergodox compatible PCB with low-pros?
« on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 14:37:12 »
After getting an EZ Ergodox thru work I finally know what I want. A low-pro 40% with easy to use software for flashing (such as EZs Wally) and for layout creation (such as EZs Oryx).

I figured I could make a Wally/Oryx compatible keyboard by taking the opensource Ergodox files and:
1. add holes compatible with Kailh Choc switches
2. remove the top row
3. remove the innermost column
4. move the reset, arduinos and trrs jacks to above the thumb cluster
-Is this correct?

Also, does anyone know if there is already a version of the Ergodox PCB that has the Choc compatible hole layout? Thinking this may save me a lot of work as I am not someone who have designed PCBs before.

Thankful for any and all feedback.

Offline iaji

Re: Making a 40% Ergodox compatible PCB with low-pros?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 06:57:36 »
gergo from gboards.ca though it's not an opensource it is such a keyboard that i think you have in mind.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 07:27:21 »
There are lots of keyboards out there with a split columnar layout in only three rows, but I think the difficult part here is that the matrix and electronics need to be backwards-compatible with the ErgoDox so that you would be able to use firmware for the ErgoDox.

The original ErgoDox has a microcontroller only in the right half, with the left half instead having a MCP23018 I/O expander. Most other split keyboards have a microcontroller in the left half instead.

I think that ErgoDox EZ could have various changes to the original design. I would look in the QMK firmware for ErgoDox-EZ for these changes. The firmware supports both the original and the EZ, so the differences shouldn't be difficult to find: perhaps it is only backlight or underglow.

Offline hellmak

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 08:41:39 »
gergo from gboards.ca though it's not an opensource it is such a keyboard that i think you have in mind.

Gergo looks like perfection. It's just I been thru hell n back trying to flash my 40% split so I want something compatible with a simpler software. That said, switched to Linux now, so maybe it should be easier. Also I would know everything works. Seems he has a backlog thou. Thank you for the tips!!

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 12:09:43 »
yeah... who knows what changes were done to the EZ platform hardware & software (ergodox, moonlander, planck)
- while they are based on open source boards, i don't think their pcbs or software (oryx/wally) is open source (though i could be wrong)
- i would bet they are all running stm processors as well, instead of our normal fare (adding complexity to a scratch build).
- you could do a similar setup with just about any keyboard kit & VIA https://caniusevia.com/
     - VIA is an on the fly "reprogramming" frontend for QMK. you can change keymap, etc., without having to reflash the board.
- as for flashing... DFU is easier to work with than most.
     - if it's the default DFU bootloader, it will stay in bootloader mode until it's power is cycled
     - promicros & most clones run the caterina bootloader and you have 8 seconds to catch the bootloader (it's doable, but you have to be ready)
     - then there's old ones that mount as a removable drive (double yuck)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 19:06:25 »
There's some really cool stuff in the Low Profile discord.

And yeah flashing an Elite-C from linux is simple.

Seen the Zaphod ?

Offline hellmak

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 12:05:04 »

Seen the Zaphod ?

have you got a link to the discord? :)

Offline nevin

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 09:32:16 »

Seen the Zaphod ?

have you got a link to the discord? :)

https://discord.gg/9xyQEDTc
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68