Author Topic: The ultimate Clicky Switches SOUND TESTS  (Read 3972 times)

Offline c.a.t.

• All about Keyboards sound...
    • Click and Thock
The ultimate Clicky Switches SOUND TESTS
« on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 21:24:39 »
My new project!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxsWMZAyUwT67nikED3sL_g/videos

Comparison of different clicky switches for mechanical keyboards. Each switches will be test on the same keyboard.
Same case, same plate, same keycaps.

Will be releasing a sound test video for each switches and I will compare them together at the end.

In the clicky switches edition, I will test:

- Cherry MX Blue
- Gateron Blue
- Gateron Green
- Kailh Pro Light Green
- Kailh Speed Gold
- Kailh Speed Bronze
- Kailh Sherbet
- Kailh BOX White
- Kailh BOX Jade
- Kailh BOX Navy
- Kailh BOX Pale Blue
- Kailh BOX Pink

Each switches are tested on this mechanical keyboard:

- DZ60RGB V2 HOT SWAP
- Brass plate
- Tofu 60 aluminum case
- Durock lube stabilizers
- Foam under and over PCB
- GMK Mitolet keycaps
- Maxkey Black SA keycaps
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 July 2021, 21:26:56 by c.a.t. »
JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: The ultimate Clicky Switches SOUND TESTS
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 22:09:23 »
My ears

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 22:23:20 »
 :))
JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 18:35:54 »

Why not just make one video for all of them together, switching between them one after another?  Not much point watching a video for each individually, separate from the others. 

Offline killyou

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 03:37:56 »

Why not just make one video for all of them together, switching between them one after another?  Not much point watching a video for each individually, separate from the others.

You could argue that having it in separate videos makes it quicker to look for the part you are interested in. I opened a subset of tabs depending on the switches that were of my interest and was able to navigate quickly to the part that was of my interest. Also perhaps it's better for the author to spam some more videos as it's a new channel.

Anyway, good content OP and I wish you the best and I hope you will be able to continue.

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 13:18:27 »
Thanks for your feedback!

I made a compilation of every clip jacket switches, so they will be all in the same video!  :) I will do the same for Click Bar switches and all the switches at the end!

JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 11:04:52 »
Thanks for your feedback!

I made a compilation of every clip jacket switches, so they will be all in the same video!  :) I will do the same for Click Bar switches and all the switches at the end!

Got to say the sound difference in the video is very minimal if any, altough in real life it is noticable, I don't think the board reflects or allows the switches to shine, could be the combination of brass plate and the mount, but the down/up stroke are the most pronounced sound rather than the click, also you're a heavy typist which doesn't contribute to the sound test. 

Don't take my comment as a negative opinion, just letting you know my opinion as clicky switches are my favorite and have used couple (and have many samples).

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 13:54:45 »
Click Click, Clack Clack.  Always nice to see more people doing things like this.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 22:36:17 »
Got to say the sound difference in the video is very minimal if any, altough in real life it is noticable, I don't think the board reflects or allows the switches to shine, could be the combination of brass plate and the mount, but the down/up stroke are the most pronounced sound rather than the click, also you're a heavy typist which doesn't contribute to the sound test. 

The sound does depend on the keyboard and caps, and yeah there's a lot of bottoming-out clacking in the test.  I'm pretty light on the keys myself (which is one reason I like clickies) and my Bronze switch board is mostly clickety-clickety-clickety sounds.

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 11:28:18 »
Your are right, I’m a little heavy on the keys!😂
Yeah the bronze are my second favorite switches of this test after the white!!
JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 03:32:53 »
Great comparison!

What about Cherry MX green? :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 09:46:12 »
Thanks man!

The Gateron Green are really good switches. Not as clean as the click bar click (but that's a personals preference), but much more clean than mx blue, speed gold and pro light green (less mushy). The are identical to the Gateron blue, but with a heavier spring. I'm not a fan of heavy switches myself, but if it's your preference and you like the click jacket click (which could be satisfying to), I recommend it! But I prefer the Gateron blue because they are more light!

Hope it help!
JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 03:42:45 »
Thanks man!

The Gateron Green are really good switches. Not as clean as the click bar click (but that's a personals preference), but much more clean than mx blue, speed gold and pro light green (less mushy). The are identical to the Gateron blue, but with a heavier spring. I'm not a fan of heavy switches myself, but if it's your preference and you like the click jacket click (which could be satisfying to), I recommend it! But I prefer the Gateron blue because they are more light!

Hope it help!

I don't mind Gateron greens.  I have one keyboard with them and just ordered a batch more for a second keyboard.

I'd prefer Cherry MX greens (omitted from your test regime), but they are not as backlight friendly, especially for SMD RGB LEDs.

It feels to me that MX greens are heavier than Gateron greens, which suits me fine - I seem to have quite strong fingers :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 21:27:03 »
Gateron green are fine switches for strong fingers! ;)
JS - aka Click and Thock

Offline c.a.t.

• Click and Thock
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 20:16:39 »
Here the final version of this project!!

JS - aka Click and Thock