Author Topic: Is woodkeys.click a scam?  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Kevadu

Is woodkeys.click a scam?
« on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 21:48:27 »
Let me first say that I actually did successfully order something from woodkeys.click, namely a case for one of those novelty giant Kailh switches.  It was generally fine (though I had to sand down the internal pegs that hold it together a bit because they didn't actually fit...) and the GB experience was fine.  Not amazing, but certainly not bad.  Just kind of average.

Then in July of last year I placed an order for their "Scarlet Bandana Version IV Mark.2" case.  They were originally claiming it would ship in October or November...presumably they meant in 2018.  Anyway, here we are 7 months later there's no sign of it.  But hey, delays happen.  I'm pretty used to that.  What I find more concerning is the total lack of communication since then.  I have the order confirmation and Paypal receipt for it and...that's it.  Literally it.  In 7 months (and going on 4 months past the original delivery date) I haven't gotten an update of any kind.

I went on to their site recently to try to find more information.  They have a blog that hasn't been updated since August so that's pretty useless.  They do have a Twitter account that is still getting updates but there's almost nothing on it talking about this case and nothing recent.  They do appear to be taking normal orders for their case on their website though which I thought was pretty weird...that page makes no mention of an estimated delivery date and it fact kind of sounds like you can just buy it.  Even though I bought mine July of last year and still haven't gotten anything...

Interestingly that page does have a little blurb that says, "For current production updates see the 'Updates' link above, or sign up for the newsletter."  But there is no such "updates" link anywhere on their site...you can sign up for their newsletter but it seems strange to me that would be the only way to get information (and since you can't see old ones I can only speculate as to whether it even had any updates...).

So wanting to know what the status of this case is I send them an email through the contact link on their site about two weeks ago...and I haven't gotten any response.  Again this isn't a problem of not being satisfied with their response, there was no response.  I then tried contacting them through Geekhack because they do actually have an account on this forum...no response there either.

I don't know what to say at this point.  I started trying to get in touch with them because I wanted a status update, that's all.  To be honest delays are so common in this industry that I didn't even think much of it at first.  Sometimes I have trouble just keeping track of all the GBs I'm in...but here we are 7 months without a single update and they are completely ignoring my attempts to get in touch with them.  On top of that they have a confusing website that looks like they're just selling the product in question normally...there's no mention there of it even being a GB or preorder.  If I hadn't had that one neutrally-positive interaction with woodkeys.click before then I might have been more vigilant but this is really starting to feel like a scam.  If not that then at the very least they are extremely disorganized and unresponsive...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Is woodkeys.click a scam?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 21:58:12 »
They're probably way backlogged. 

These sites/ sellers/ organizers are not  fundamentally scammers.

But they're at best very amateur, and at worst, Incompetent.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 19:14:53 »
o man. I am in on this buy, too.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 19:35:33 »
This is the most recent on their discord (link at the bottom of their site):

It's very vague about timeline details.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 07:38:57 »
Resurrecting this necro thread because I just noticed this morning that the woodkeys discord has basically gone private, at least from my perspective.

At this point there seems to be zero channels available to communicate with him, and many including myself are completely shut out with no hope of getting product or money back at this point.

I think his sales posts were over on other sites that were created during the GH-sale schism, but I don't really think those places have much traction or readership at this point, so raising the issue here.

This is the first/only GB I've ever participated in that has gone this way, complete cut-off of response from seller, and no hope of getting this situation rectified.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2019, 07:46:48 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 14:53:15 »
Resurrecting this necro thread because I just noticed this morning that the woodkeys discord has basically gone private, at least from my perspective.

At this point there seems to be zero channels available to communicate with him, and many including myself are completely shut out with no hope of getting product or money back at this point.

I think his sales posts were over on other sites that were created during the GH-sale schism, but I don't really think those places have much traction or readership at this point, so raising the issue here.

This is the first/only GB I've ever participated in that has gone this way, complete cut-off of response from seller, and no hope of getting this situation rectified.
I was legit about to email him about an update on the apex case today.

Your comment seems to suggest I shouldn't even waste my time eh? Out of paypal reimbursement window so I'm pretty much fked I assume.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 15:02:50 »
From what i read is that he had way to many projects running. He doesn't focus on one thing and what happens this. His communicating is bad and he can't plan.

Most group buys are going smooth or delayed but some just fall into the toilet.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Zuology

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 09:41:50 »
I've checked all his social media channels, last updates anywhere were back in april, including from his own discord. At this point, I am unable to view or post on any of the channels on his discord that was the main hub of (attempted) communication, and the only channels visible are welcome and rules, where you can see his post back in april saying he was going to try and start to respond to emails/messages. My DMs were never acknowledged, I asked for refund months ago. Outside of normal PayPal dispute window. Have appealed through my bank that I paid PayPal, but that will likely yield nothing. At this point I'm seeing all signs pointing to full ghost with money and no hope of getting any of the product. I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 09:43:23 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 21:15:16 »
In my opinion, I think its a scam. Preordered an Scarlet Bandana thru paypal an year ago. Never got an reply for my refund request couple months back. Also, he list the item sold thru paypal as software not electronics. I find it fishy.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:27:59 »
In my opinion, I think its a scam. Preordered an Scarlet Bandana thru paypal an year ago. Never got an reply for my refund request couple months back. Also, he list the item sold thru paypal as software not electronics. I find it fishy.

I mean he probably underestimated how a GB works scarlet was his first real custom GB from what i know. There where probably more costs he didn't know about and was going into the negatives and didn't want to get into debt and can't finish production. So he is just ghosting like he doesn't exist anymore.

I have seen people win disputes though because he doesn't respond to Paypal so if you are still waiting just open a dispute and hope for the best.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 07:45:56 »

Offline Zuology

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 21:30:13 »
Paypal dispute window is fixed, I can't figure out a way to dispute past it.

Appeal through my bank (where the funds for paypal payment came from) was also denied, despite best efforts at showing the complete ghosting.

At this point I'm considering my loss a well deserved idiot tax for jumping into the GB on such a whim... I don't even like 65% layout but figured the side F-keys would compensate.
More

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:18:11 »

I mean he probably underestimated how a GB works scarlet was his first real custom GB from what i know. There where probably more costs he didn't know about and was going into the negatives and didn't want to get into debt and can't finish production. So he is just ghosting like he doesn't exist anymore.

I have seen people win disputes though because he doesn't respond to Paypal so if you are still waiting just open a dispute and hope for the best.

Eh not sure about that. There was an initial run of proto scarlet bandanas that got sold. I think he's overwhelmed but I don't think it's he doesn't know how to run a GB. Its that he ran way too many at one time.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:23:51 »

Eh not sure about that. There was an initial run of proto scarlet bandanas that got sold. I think he's overwhelmed but I don't think it's he doesn't know how to run a GB. Its that he ran way too many at one time.

Sound kinda fishy then running to many GB sounds more like collecting the money and getting the **** out of here.
current
Coming soon

Offline Zuology

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 08:21:36 »
The fact that he locked out his discord and is completely inactive on all his listed social media channels has to mean he's purposefully cut ties to those who are still owed product, presuming there is no hope of refund since he has likely sunk all those funds into machining/tooling, if he's even pursuing production still.

I've kissed my money goodbye at this point, which is a bitter pill to swallow because I justified the high price of the Scarlet Bandana due to the Made In USA aspect, somehow thinking the GB would not go sideways because communication would be similar local time zones, same language, and avoid whatever other barriers and obstacles that present themselves in overseas GBs.

Someone who claimed to know him IRL through mutual friends/family had written in the Discord before channels were locked, and wish I had PM'd them so I could see if they had any sort of channels to reach woodkeys. Regrets regrets.
More

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 20:41:53 »

I would consider not taking on so many simultaneous projects that you get overwhelmed like that to be part of knowing how to run a GB so I can't really see that as much of a defense.

But I have no more idea what's going to happen at this point than anyone else on this thread.  Best part is that I'm moving soon but since there's no way to actually contact anyone involved in the GB even if by some miracle they actually do make the boards they're not going to have my new address so I'm not going to get it anyway...

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 14:15:59 »
Hey tuning back in on this. Did he really not fulfill these? I like you, hopped in over a year ago. Is this guy really ghosting us?

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 23:06:35 »
Hey tuning back in on this. Did he really not fulfill these? I like you, hopped in over a year ago. Is this guy really ghosting us?

Yes

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 15:02:41 »
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Anyone heard from the man?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 15:39:18 »
Man is gono
current
Coming soon

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 16:17:06 »
From there website, closest thing I've seen to an update...
229615-0

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:52:44 »
Man is gono

What he's gone?

I think he's listed by r/mk to be a scammer

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:04:32 »
I did not take part in this group buy, but I am really interested in seeing how this will turn out.

Doing some quick reading on this guy I found his Linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/colemarkham

What leads me to this conclusion is combining that with the blog posts in his name and also his Github profile : https://github.com/colemarkham

Cole Markham from Texas, you guys might want to message him personally.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:11:16 by DoctorNunu »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:01:38 »
I did not take part in this group buy, but I am really interested in seeing how this will turn out.

Doing some quick reading on this guy I found his Linkedin profile:

What leads me to this conclusion is combining that with the blog posts in his name and also his Github

you guys might want to message him personally.
Isn't this doxing?

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:18:16 »

What leads me to this conclusion is combining that with the blog posts in his name and also his Github

Isn't this doxing?
Is my post against TOS? I will remove immediatly if so.
Not sure if it falls under the category "Doxing", I'm simply publishing his Linkedin profile which is bound to the name he uses on the Woodkeys website. I'm not publishing any sensitive information really.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:26:34 by DoctorNunu »

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:25:18 »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 15:48:21 »

Isn't this doxing?
Is my post against TOS? I will remove immediatly if so.
Not sure if it falls under the category "Doxing", I'm simply publishing his Linkedin profile which is bound to the name he uses on the Woodkeys website. I'm not publishing any sensitive information really.

I agree with you. LinkedIN is public. He is the person that choose to put his profile picture/Name on there. It's only doxing if you are threatening him to expose where he lives.
current
Coming soon

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 23:49:29 »
Bump in hopes someone knows him in real life and can reach out

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 23:55:49 »

He scammed the community. He took the money and ran. He's still doing CNC work and is active in hobby CNC communities taking orders and selling **** elsewhere.

His personal info is all over the 'net. His home address, his wife's name and the church she works at, kids' info, parents names, etc If someone in Texas wanted to serve him in small claims court, it'd be a slam dunk as it's easy to show that he took the money and ran.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 00:02:38 »

He scammed the community. He took the money and ran. He's still doing CNC work and is active in hobby CNC communities taking orders and selling **** elsewhere.

His personal info is all over the 'net. His home address, his wife's name and the church she works at, kids' info, parents names, etc If someone in Texas wanted to serve him in small claims court, it'd be a slam dunk as it's easy to show that he took the money and ran.

OOOO Still doing CNC work and is active in hobby CNC communities, this is interesting news to me.