Author Topic: Do you guys have backup boards?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline funkmon

Do you guys have backup boards?
« on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 22:23:00 »
What I mean is, like, if you really love a particular keyboard, do you guys buy another one of that keyboard?

Like, okay, so you have a beautiful, say, Model F AT. These things ain't never getting cheaper, and might at one point be difficult to find. You love your AT. You worry one day it will die and you will not be able to replace it. Do you see another good deal on one and then just buy it, test it, and put it back in the box for backup usage?

I do this in particular with very old keyboards. Like, I have two Acer keyboards in case one breaks. I'm not worried as much about my Alps boards to buy doubles of those, I figure Matias is still making em and if they stop, ebaying one wouldn't be hard, but the relatively rare ones? I get spares. Am I nuts?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Do you guys have backup boards?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 22:35:22 »
Yea, just walk up to my pile, there're at least 40 keebs in there.  not gonna run out anytime soon.  Some doubles, 4 sets of ergodox total.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 22:40:23 »
no unless lastpilot wants to sell me his. the 3rd one in existence is scuffed last time i saw it.

i do the same for mice though
I love Elzy

Offline buryberry

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 22:42:20 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2021, 08:08:18 by buryberry »

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 01:58:12 »
Yes. 3 ortho. 3 splergo. Planning some 60% builds this year.

I have four desks.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 02:23:25 »
no unless lastpilot wants to sell me his. the 3rd one in existence is scuffed last time i saw it.

I wonder what Sifo's reaction would be to some accident scenario involving their board.

Stunlocked in a look of gasping horror? Repeating something repeatedly while flurrying about in a panic? Monk-like resolve?

Offline seville57

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 04:06:23 »
Yes, I have some Ducky Shine 2 - 3 - 4 and  2 Ducky One.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 04:39:11 »
Yup, I've got six blue Alps boards and three ZKB-2's by now xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 05:25:15 »
I have no backup for my ****ty ruber dome g13… and considering that I cannot play without it (cause I use the joystick a lot), I fear a little bit.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 07:51:01 »
I've bought more than one of the same board but it was because the first ended up damaged (Model M and Logitech Illuminated).
Never as a backup though, I'd rather try something new and keep the other as a reserve.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 08:17:35 »
Yes, at least 2-3 of each of my favorites (of which there are 4 or 5).
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 09:09:41 »
Yeah let me just buy another F-107 for $900. Lol.

But in seriousness, I've got 60+ boards at this point that I rotate through. I've got about 10 favorites maybe. If any of them break I'm pretty sure I could fix em.

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 09:30:06 »
i have bought 3 non working PC122, not really planed as spares but to learn to fix them, so far 2 are fixed. although one is missing a spacebar and a spring, overall plenty of fun to be had :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 10:14:18 »
The only double up I have is two Model Ms.

Everything else is kinda the same switch-wise anyway (medium weight, highly tactile) so I have a reasonable number of options if one board were to fail. I don't really have that many boards compared to others here, as collecting is not really my thing.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 10:17:59 »
I have duplicates of boards I particularly like (and could afford more of). 2 F ATs, 2 or 3 ZKB-2s (in poor shape, unfortunately) probably close to 10 various Matias boards (I may have single-handedly dried up the cheap used market for these), 2 Omnikeys, stacks of TG3 boards both with and without the trackpad (some brand new old stock), 3 Model Ms (unless a dome M2 counts) ... untold numbers of Corsair K65s and K70s awaiting eventual modification. I have at least a second F77 coming ... some day. I'm probably missing some.

I have at least 4 different places in which I type regularly, so even with a second or third board, I can't cover all of my bases. I could add two more to that if I could clean up the area where I have two desks set up for working on computers and tinkering.

All in good shape? All of the ZKB-2s I end up finding look like they spent time at the bottom of the ocean. I figure if I can't save the switches, I'll put SKCM blue or Matias clickies in them.

Not daily driving a beam spring then?

I have no backup for my ****ty ruber dome g13… and considering that I cannot play without it (cause I use the joystick a lot), I fear a little bit.

Have you looked at these? I know, they're Razer, but they're mechanical. I know someone who's been using some iteration of the same family tree since finding an old Belkin Nostromo for cheap.

But in seriousness, I've got 60+ boards at this point that I rotate through. I've got about 10 favorites maybe. If any of them break I'm pretty sure I could fix em.

You paid $900 for that F107? Did it come painted like that, or did you have to do that too?

i have bought 3 non working PC122, not really planed as spares but to learn to fix them, so far 2 are fixed. although one is missing a spacebar and a spring, overall plenty of fun to be had :)

That's good. As many old boards should be restored to function as possible without ending up in a landfill.  :thumb:

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 13:29:25 »

You paid $900 for that F107? Did it come painted like that, or did you have to do that too?

Oh no, much less. But that's about what they're going for now.

Mine looked like this when I got it.

262486-0

Then I took it to get powder coated and recapped it.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 15:46:58 »
I do believe I do.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 18:12:03 »
I have to many back-up boards  :blank:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 05:45:34 »
I have duplicates of boards I particularly like (and could afford more of). 2 F ATs, 2 or 3 ZKB-2s (in poor shape, unfortunately) probably close to 10 various Matias boards (I may have single-handedly dried up the cheap used market for these), 2 Omnikeys, stacks of TG3 boards both with and without the trackpad (some brand new old stock), 3 Model Ms (unless a dome M2 counts) ... untold numbers of Corsair K65s and K70s awaiting eventual modification. I have at least a second F77 coming ... some day. I'm probably missing some.

I have at least 4 different places in which I type regularly, so even with a second or third board, I can't cover all of my bases. I could add two more to that if I could clean up the area where I have two desks set up for working on computers and tinkering.

All in good shape? All of the ZKB-2s I end up finding look like they spent time at the bottom of the ocean. I figure if I can't save the switches, I'll put SKCM blue or Matias clickies in them.
My work ZKB-2 is rather dirty by now, and well-used, but still going strong. The others are in very nice condition. The blue Alps keyboards are all at least 7/10, some NOS.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 12:54:58 »
my only regret is not nabbing a ton of ibm keebs while they were "cheap" 

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 20:18:40 »
Backup pcb’s sure, but I dunno if I’m a bad enough dude to just go and get two of something lol

Offline funkmon

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:26:10 »

Dude, here's how bug nutty I am. I bought that F107, used it for a couple weeks, decided "this is such a good keyboard I'll be devastated if it breaks" and then I put it in the ****ing box and it's in the closet. My idea was that when I got a new desk I would move to using that board as my main keyboard, or if I ever decide to move into my mom's house like she wants, I use it as a main, but I got an F122 as a backup so I can do that. Then I got another F122 as a backup to my backup. So I should still be able to use Models F as full size keyboards, if all goes well.

If not, I have like 60 Models M so if all my Models F die I'm still fine.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 12:44:46 »

Dude, here's how bug nutty I am. I bought that F107, used it for a couple weeks, decided "this is such a good keyboard I'll be devastated if it breaks" and then I put it in the ****ing box and it's in the closet. My idea was that when I got a new desk I would move to using that board as my main keyboard, or if I ever decide to move into my mom's house like she wants, I use it as a main, but I got an F122 as a backup so I can do that. Then I got another F122 as a backup to my backup. So I should still be able to use Models F as full size keyboards, if all goes well.

If not, I have like 60 Models M so if all my Models F die I'm still fine.

How would you manage to kill a 4704 F? I imagine that F107 will survive the apocalypse.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 12:50:33 »
Again, I'm nuts. I'm thinking like, what if it only lasts like 20 years of constant use? I figure at that point I have to wait to open it until I hit 40 or something so even if I'm over 60 I'll be so near death I won't even notice.