geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Weakening Springs in Switch ? - Gaming focused keyboard

(1/4) > >>

Tainado:
Hi there,

I wonder have anyone found a way to weakening springs ? I have a 50 gram  Keychron Optical - Low Profile switch
Reduce to below 30 gram would be "ideal" for my case

I use this keyboard primarily to play Competitive CSGO . 50 gram is a a bit stiff for me to counter strafing (in game technique) . Since I only need to reduce to spring weight on A , S , D and W , therefore , I hoping not to pay 40$ ( included shipping ) for the new set of switches .

Since this is a low profile , the spring is a bit hard to find at lower weight with proper dimensions .
Length-      10.16 mm
Diameter-   3.175 mm

I heard that we can torch a compressed spring for awhile to weakening the spring in Automotive . But this sounds a bit too harsh for switch spring  , just my guess.

ALso , if anyone can recommend any extreme low latency - low profile switch/keyboard for FPS gaming

I know there is g915 Lightspeed but build quality and the rattling switches just turned me off

Any input helps

Thanks everyone

nevin:
never messed with the switches you're talking about. there are replacements for mx & alps (both different sizes) but yours being low profile, they're probably too long.

i wonder if springs for the kailh choc switches would be any closer? they are a low profile mechanical switch.... you could try looking for specs of the springs in those switches....

if you like the board other than the slightly heavy springs, $40 sounds like a no brainer to save on headaches and searching forever only to save a couple bucks... (just my opinion, especially with specialty switches)

fpazos:
Hi! Just remembered that you can find some strange kailh chocs on Aliexpress. There is one lineal 25g. Replacing a switch is quite easy for someone a bit knowledge on ironing.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOdAKHr

This one is 35g
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPTWqWZ

Also. There aren't significant differences between keyboards controllers frequencies. Not even for e sports. There are more significant things as having a 240hz screen, most common controllers have 16000hz, that doesnt mean that every cycle recognize and send the keypress but differences on this could be of few miliseconds.

Tainado:

--- Quote from: nevin on Tue, 04 May 2021, 00:07:38 ---never messed with the switches you're talking about. there are replacements for mx & alps (both different sizes) but yours being low profile, they're probably too long.

i wonder if springs for the kailh choc switches would be any closer? they are a low profile mechanical switch.... you could try looking for specs of the springs in those switches....

if you like the board other than the slightly heavy springs, $40 sounds like a no brainer to save on headaches and searching forever only to save a couple bucks... (just my opinion, especially with specialty switches)

--- End quote ---

That what I want to do , I just dont really deal them Keychron anymore , there is 1 key that randomly unresponsive . After a week of back and forth , I sent in a video proof , they went silent for 7 days straight , even after my second email .

nevin:

--- Quote ---Also. There aren't significant differences between keyboards controllers frequencies. Not even for e sports. There are more significant things as having a 240hz screen, most common controllers have 16000hz, that doesnt mean that every cycle recognize and send the keypress but differences on this could be of few miliseconds.
--- End quote ---

yeah, latency shouldn't be an issue with any hobby/custom keyboard. the only time it may be an issue, is if it's wireless, and there aren't to many wireless QMK compatible boards out there.

out of curiosity... what form factor are you using? full size, tkl, 60%, other?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version