geekhack Community > Keyboards

Blue Cherry switch won't click

(1/13) > >>

xfocus:
I did something stupid yesterday and dropped a bit of coke on my arrow keys.  I disassembled the keys and cleaned them thoroughly.  The keys worked properly and I thought I had averted a disaster.

Today I noticed that my up and left keys don't click.  They have a uniform feel all the way through. I removed the keys and the switch itself feels different from the surrounding ones.  I believe that some syrup may have gotten inside the switch and dried up since yesterday.

My question is, how do I remove the switch to clean it?  I've tried looking online and in the forum but can't find any howtos.

Any help is appreciated!

timw4mail:
The only way I can think of is to unsolder the switch, but that could be a lot more difficult it the switches are plate-mounted, rather than PCB mounted.

If the switch isn't clicking, most like the click-plunger is stuck with the main plunger, so it's functioning more like a tactile-only switch. It's a definite possibility that the spilled drink could have stuck these two plungers together.

xfocus:
I was afraid of that.  I do have some good news though.  I unplugged the keyboard and took a compressed air can and shot it upside down into the switch then turned it right side up and shot regular air into it.  This seems to have cleaned the switch enough that it's now unstuck.

Happy days!

Rajagra:
What keyboard is it? It the switches are mounted on the PCB without a mounting plate it is possible to open the switches.

xfocus:
It's a Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version