Author Topic: 61key Keyboard  (Read 7414 times)

Offline Turbinia

61key Keyboard
« on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 19:43:57 »
Been wanting to make my own keyboard for a while so decided to get serious about making it this summer. I Really like the compact layout of the poker, but I need the numbers on the keypad for Blender (they have different functions from r4). Current layout is:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48296[/ATTACH]

The KiCAD is done minus the mounting holes, not quite sure on the spec for these, but was thinking of trying to match the poker. So if someone knows the specs there I would like them. Thought about using mobo standoffs or something like that. The controller would not mount to the board so that I can swap it out for teensy, teensy++, or whatever feels right. I don't really like LEDs on keyboards even for caps lock and such, but I may switch out the keys for the locks with ones that can mount 3mm leds. Another optional could be some dip switches, only thing i would like to swap in would be delete for backspace. Numbers are the columns and letters are the rows.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48295[/ATTACH]

Want to do plate mount, laser cut some e-glass or carbon fiber.

Get some pbt keycaps, KBC ones or WASD when they get out.

Switches, would like to get some clears, or blues. Can get stabilizers from WASD.

More to come.

Suggestions...

**Need dimensions for Costar stabilizers, help a brother out.
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline wcass

61key Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 23:55:13 »
i like the layout, but personally would make your caps lock into a fn (fn + shift = caps lock).

Offline rodtang

61key Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 11:51:33 »
I'd add another key on the right side of the right shift, use it for whatever.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
61key Keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 11:59:09 »
you can order costar stabs from wasd to take the measurements yourself. i don't have any on hand at the moment, otherwise i'd take some for you

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jackpipe

61key Keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 19:28:49 »
I'm a vi user, so I'd have ESC on the first layer, and swap caps-lock and ctrl.
I love the compact layout though, with no useless fn keys, it would make the ideal layout for portable keyboards.

Offline Maarten

61key Keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 16:27:31 »
Oh nice plan! But i have a 60-key board, and since less is more I WIN by ONE !!!

Nice to see you have the numpad in the same place as i do, i can tell you it works great!

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
61key Keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 16:45:12 »
Quote from: jackpipe;605945
I'm a vi user, so I'd have ESC on the first layer, and swap caps-lock and ctrl.
I agree.  That layout is great.  Swap the caps-lock and ctrl, put ESC on the first layer and it's perfect.  If the "number pad" sends NUMPAD codes instead or R4 number codes then it's the perfect keyboard. IMHO  Oh, wait, almost perfect... Make it both USB corded and Bluetooth selectable and it's the perfect compact keyboard for desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone...
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline Roguemaster8

61key Keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 18:51:33 »
Awesome layout, I hope to see you go through with it.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline takyon

61key Keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 13:07:25 »
I've been imagining doing this but the wall I run up against is the prohibitive cost of printing a 12x4 PCB.  In prototyping quantity the board itself will run itself well beyond the cost of a Poker on BatchPCB or Express PCB. I don't have the space for a home photoetching setup, the frustration there would be getting the holes drilled anyway (let alone trying to align both layers perfectly).

So this brings me to my question: How feasible would it be to build a keyboard like this, assuming one had access to one of those 3D ABS printers (maker bot, reprap, et al.), by creating a frame that the switches are mounted on, then soldering leads to the switches dead-bug style from a small protoboard?

With one of those metal mounting plates in that DIY Poker thread and maybe some ABS tray designed to slip around or hold onto the switches from the bottom could the same stability of a PCB be achieved?  This arrangement would surely free up expenses for cooler experiments (Bluetooth, USB hub, downloadable keymaps)

Offline uberben

61key Keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 14:13:27 »
Quote from: megnin;612182
Oh, wait, almost perfect... Make it both USB corded and Bluetooth selectable and it's the perfect compact keyboard for desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone...

I'm currently working on a USB/Bluetooth replacement keyboard controller. The current target is for a Kinesis Contoured keyboard, but I plan to leave it flexible. Watch the mods page as I plan to start a thread as I get some more progress going :)

Offline wcass

61key Keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:24:14 »
Quote from: takyon;614856
I've been imagining doing this but the wall I run up against is the prohibitive cost of printing a 12x4 PCB.  In prototyping quantity the board itself will run itself well beyond the cost of a Poker on BatchPCB or Express PCB. I don't have the space for a home photoetching setup, the frustration there would be getting the holes drilled anyway (let alone trying to align both layers perfectly).

if you can find other people that want this, check out http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order - no set-up fee and free shipping. you get 3 copies of your design for $5 per in^2 ($80 per board) but if you can find 10 people, the "medium-run" would be $48 per board.

Offline takyon

61key Keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 20:08:09 »
Quote from: wcass;615894
if you can find other people that want this, check out http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order - no set-up fee and free shipping. you get 3 copies of your design for $5 per in^2 ($80 per board) but if you can find 10 people, the "medium-run" would be $48 per board.

Whoah, thanks.  someone should make a drop in replacement for the boards in the Poker DIY thread.

Offline Loligagger

61key Keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 17:37:00 »
I'd be in for a pcb groupbuy if it had the same fit as the pokers pcb but was programmable.

Offline takyon

61key Keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 20:31:25 »
Quote from: Loligagger;617270
I'd be in for a pcb groupbuy if it had the same fit as the pokers pcb but was programmable.

I was thinking about a poker sized/spaced PCB with a 44pin TQFP footprint for the hip new Atmega chips that have USB functionality built in, set between DIP headers that fit a Teensy if people want to go that route.  The extra pins from either controller are broken out into a through-hole protoboard style area to mess around with LEDs or battery/bluetooth contraptions.

The idea is that the board could accommodate the broadest set of ambitions while leaving the trodden path clear: Usable with existing aluminum cases, Teensy mods, etc.

Offline Loligagger

61key Keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 21:11:05 »
Sounds ambitious, if you can pull it off though I'll totally be in for one.

Offline KyesaRRi

61key Keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 09:28:20 »
I'd be in for a pcb if they are around $50 each. Makes use of my poker case and the lady needs a keyboard for her new pc.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
61key Keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 09:42:14 »
BTW - Costar dims at the end of this, PrinsValium is the man.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens