Author Topic: Beginner Nerd60 Troubleshooting - Right Corner Unresponsive  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Dog

• Bark
Beginner Nerd60 Troubleshooting - Right Corner Unresponsive
« on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 15:35:35 »
I have an old Nerd60 board I am attempting to save. This is the first board I attempted to build myself, so it is not pretty. I set it aside for a long time because I couldn't figure out what was wrong and got extremely frustrated.
The entire board works aside from the bottom right Cntrl, Menu, and Fn1 keys. Right Alt works. So far I've attempted bridging the switch following this video:

I have been able to get various arrow keys attempting to bridge the unresponsive switches. I also used a multi meter to test for continuity for all the switches when pressed as a sanity check. The switches all appear to work.

I'm a beginner to debugging so if anyone has any ideas or search terms for me to try to learn how to improve, it'd be appreciated. I'm not that great with a multi meter yet, and eager to improve.

Offline nevin

Re: Beginner Nerd60 Troubleshooting - Right Corner Unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 08:47:39 »
yes, my guess would be the common (row) probably the 1st one in the row. double check the leg that does not go to the diode. unless it's the last in each column, if last in column, you'll have to bridge to the switch above to fix the broken trace. (if that's how they have it wired)

try to find a schematic of the board to see how they did the rows/columns. (deviation from the standard is very common if they are trying to conserve pins)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Dog

• Bark
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 14:48:46 »
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I managed to figure it out. In case anyone else runs into a problem, I didn't understand the default layout for this PCB. For example R-Cntrl is actually Macro by default. The other two keys are function 1 and function 2 by default. This meant they wouldn't show up in my keyboard tester. Once I realized that was the case, I was able to pull up some function combinations which showed they were working.

Unfortunately I still need to do some work on the board since way back then I put the switches for this corner in the wrong configuration. However I'm now confident I have a working board and switches to get there.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 14:58:56 »
yeah, always try combinations (to test for Fn keys) as they don't show up in a keytester without a 2nd key (even if they are toggles)

glad you got it figured out.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68