Author Topic: [IC] Atreus-mod KB for programmers (or just typing without using Fn for punct.)  (Read 12451 times)

Offline worldspawn

I've modified the ergo mini board from the Atreus thread with the necessary keys for most programmers (or those who want a mini board without the need to Fn for numbers and punctuation) and it's only a fraction of an inch larger than the original.  This will be compatible with Easy AVR Keymapper. 

Since I've gone through all the work of design and prototyping I figured I'd share with the community if there's interest in a group buy of the boards and/or cases.  I've got the first batch of prototype boards ordered already, waiting on arrival for testing, then I can move forward with a larger batch.  If you're interested in helping with the prototype testing I can send you a board for $25 ($30 total if you want the SMT parts too, I can pre-solder them if requested) including shipping when they come in.

For a small run <50 boards, the cost is:
$25 per board 
$10 for the SMT components (soldering is +$10)
$35 for the case in acrylic (4 layers: top 1/8", plate 1/4", spacer 1/8", bottom 1/8", includes nuts, screws, 4 rubber feet)
$6 shipping

For a medium run 50-250 boards the cost drops to
$10 per board
$6 for the SMT (soldering is +$10)
$30 for the case
$6 shipping

Main layer example

Case and Layout

PCB (not the final revision, there are a couple wrong traces in this image that I've fixed)

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2015, 11:27:15 by worldspawn »
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Cool design.  Can't tell very well from the picture, but it looks like you may be missing a few caps on that PCB.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Cool design.  Can't tell very well from the picture, but it looks like you may be missing a few caps on that PCB.

And no crystal? Hmmm.

Also, some people won't want to mess with in-switch diodes. You should put pads for SMD diodes in the space between the through hole ones.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I saw this board in the Deep Space thread during a lunch break - meant to follow up on it as it looked great.

I'd love to prototype, but I guess by the time the PCB gets to me you'll have built yours and maybe even ordered the final version...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline worldspawn

From the tech documents on the Atmel site I only saw the one:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
You need to do a lot more reading.  Check out my Qazpad thread and look at the attached schematic pdf.  There are a bunch of power caps around the ATmega32U4.  Also you need caps and resistors on the USB connection.  And you need the crystal unless you're going with the slower in-chip clock.

Look at all the junk around the avr in the Epsilon:

94889-0

Offline worldspawn

And no crystal? Hmmm.

Also, some people won't want to mess with in-switch diodes. You should put pads for SMD diodes in the space between the through hole ones.

I picked up these ATMEGA32U4-AU which say "Internal Calib. RC" on the "default oscillator"  I was under the impression that an additional oscillator was not required, but I have not worked with this chip before so I could be mistaken?

Offline worldspawn

You need to do a lot more reading.  Check out my Qazpad thread and look at the attached schematic pdf.  There are a bunch of power caps around the ATmega32U4.  Also you need caps and resistors on the USB connection.  And you need the crystal unless you're going with the slower in-chip clock.

Look at all the junk around the avr in the Epsilon:

(Attachment Link)
Thanks for the info, I put a hold on my prototype order until I update the PCB.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
No problem.  Check out what the internal oscillator speed is.  If it isn't at least 8 MHz, then consider switching to the crystal, which can go to 16MHz.  Honestly, the power caps around the AVR aren't that important, but the big capacitor on the USB and the D line resistors are important.

Offline worldspawn

No problem.  Check out what the internal oscillator speed is.  If it isn't at least 8 MHz, then consider switching to the crystal, which can go to 16MHz.  Honestly, the power caps around the AVR aren't that important, but the big capacitor on the USB and the D line resistors are important.

I went ahead and threw in the 16mhz oscillator, simple enough and I won't have to worry about it.  The other capacitors and resistors have been added as well now.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
I'm interested in this.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline worldspawn

The first round of boards are on their way to me now, I've already made a 2nd revision (to correct a small mistake that will require a jumper to fix in the first round of boards),also I added the SMD pads for the diodes to the back of the board, and added in the necessary circuitry for LEDs (PWM of course) in the switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 13:27:55 by worldspawn »

Offline worldspawn

All the LEDs are powered at the same time, there wasn't quite enough spare pins on the chip to allow charlieplexing, though I did try (I can do an array of 41 with the pins available, and I have 51 keys)  :P  I also cleaned up the traces quite a bit, and changed the key footprint to a universal one so ALPS may also be used.

Offline worldspawn

Finally got the last of the parts (USB ports and resistors) from China!

Offline SeeThruHead

I would like to get one of these if they become available.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Asininity

I'm very much interested in this. I've been wanting to try my hands at a ergonomic keyboard of some sort. Plus, I have a ton of Gaterons on the way that need a home. However, I might wait until a later revision as I have little experience in building a keyboard.

Offline rsantos97

This is interesting.  Put me down for one please.  As a programmer who has wrist issues, this would be a great keyboard to try.  Plus, I actually enjoy soldering stuff.

Offline Hzza

I'm not sure how I didn't see this before, I've been wanting to try something similar to the Atreus for a while now but it didn't have enough keys for me.

Can you put me tentatively down for one for the time being.

Offline braidn

Also potentially down for one. Constantly traveling and looking for something to take along with.

Offline worldspawn

Good news, the 1st version is now 100% working.  Took a little while to figure out the firmware, but the Easy AVR software did the trick so I'm going to be looking at doing a test batch of the 2nd version with back lighting.
Easy AVR is set up as a handwire Matrix board per this:

Fn+F = Fn lock
handwire_hardware.cfg should contain
[MATRIX]
ROW0=E6
ROW1=B0
ROW2=E2
ROW3=C6
ROW4=D5
COL0=B4
COL1=B5
COL2=D6
COL3=D7
COL4=C7
COL5=B6
COL6=D3
COL7=B3
COL8=B7
COL9=D0
COL10=D1
COL11=D2
LED0=B2
LED1=B3
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2015, 11:21:39 by worldspawn »

Offline wakko

Cool. Found your thread. Yea I'd be in for one.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline avtar

I'd be in for one order as well.

Offline simonyunhe

Very interest, want one for myself.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline technomancy

I wonder if you could come up with a better name for this. "Atreus for programmers" isn't very descriptive, since Atreus is already designed for programmers.

I think it's great that you're building on my design, but I would like you to do it in a way that avoids confusion between this and the original.

Offline worldspawn

yeah it doesn't really have a name right now, more of a description.

Offline simonyunhe

Update ?
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline worldspawn

I've got the v2 board design done and parts sourced, waiting on funds to get a test batch made.

Offline profet

This still happening? I'd be down for one.
Bringing custom Ergodoxes to the masses.

My heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/102649

Offline braidn

Super glad this project is still alive. Would still be down for one once launched

Offline worldspawn

Yep, it's still alive, I need to change one trace to make entering the bootloader mode easier (after fighting with my prototype, I figured out I need to ground an extra pin), and get together the cash to order my next batch of prototypes.  Probably be able to place the order start of December.

Offline iss

Looks solid, although the top two middle keys look kind of awkward to reach.

Offline worldspawn

Looks solid, although the top two middle keys look kind of awkward to reach.

It's about as awkward as hitting the F5/number-6 key on a regular keyboard, not too bad.

Offline worldspawn

Ok, board modification complete, there was an issue with the last version where it did not properly restart into bootloader mode, grounding pin 33 (PE2) forces it into bootloader when restarted via reset pads now.  That pin was originally tied to a row, so it had to be re-routed.

Offline simonyunhe

Ok, board modification complete, there was an issue with the last version where it did not properly restart into bootloader mode, grounding pin 33 (PE2) forces it into bootloader when restarted via reset pads now.  That pin was originally tied to a row, so it had to be re-routed.

good to know, thanks for the update!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
I'm in for one of these.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mseaworthy

Interesting. What switches would the PCB and plate support?

Offline kalupa

Also interested in this. I have a Planck and my two complaints are lack of dedicated numbers and the straight hand posture it requires. This solves both of those for me