Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 250982 times)

Offline nevaenuf

Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 12:25:09 »
norbauer do you think the purple would go well with gmk laser?

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 12:27:05 »
norbauer do you think the purple would go well with gmk laser?

That's a good question. I feel like selecting a complementary color is safer when it comes to keysets, as the color match will inevitably be imperfect. Honestly, I think the black anodized would be a great choice for Laser, or Enigma Gray.

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 13:17:07 »
Last question before I leave you alone for a while, any clue when the first sets of these are going to ship? Do we think it'll be before or after may? Best of luck with the GB, I personally cannot wait until I receive mine!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 15:12:55 »
Best colors for 10th anniversary caps?

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 21:05:57 »

I second this. I thought I was set on the plain aluminum but the allure of the hard anodized black really has a hold of me. Unless the powdercoated finish is stronger or a better match. Something about brushed aluminum makes me not want it to be covered in powdercoat (even though I’m a huge fan of those finishes).

Offline norbauer

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 22:37:38 »

I second this. I thought I was set on the plain aluminum but the allure of the hard anodized black really has a hold of me. Unless the powdercoated finish is stronger or a better match. Something about brushed aluminum makes me not want it to be covered in powdercoat (even though I’m a huge fan of those finishes).

My vote would be tactical black. :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 22:39:05 »

Here I am thinking purple or refrigerator :p

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 22:52:28 »

Well that settles that. Picked up this keyboard while on vacation in Korea and now (or soon will) have a case that's equally meaningful to match!

Offline richard912

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 22:58:25 »
Perhaps some of you could provide me with some recommendation(s). My RF87 is white (so keycaps are in the white theme). Currently, the toss up is between Tactical Black and Enigma Gray. Am kind of worried the latter will be a fingerprint magnet. Also, I already have a few custom boards with gray alu cases.

Highly likely I will mod my RF with MX sliders sometime down the road.

FYI, I already have the aerospace aluminium norbatouch case.

Inputs please?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 01:21:22 »

Well that settles that. Picked up this keyboard while on vacation in Korea and now (or soon will) have a case that's equally meaningful to match!

Awesome. You don’t happen to speak Korean, do you? I could use some help getting the word out about these to the Korean keyboard kbd communities. ;)

Offline FSund

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 15:23:16 »
Perhaps some of you could provide me with some recommendation(s). My RF87 is white (so keycaps are in the white theme). Currently, the toss up is between Tactical Black and Enigma Gray. Am kind of worried the latter will be a fingerprint magnet. Also, I already have a few custom boards with gray alu cases.

Inputs please?

I think the white RF keycaps go incredibly well with the aerospace aluminium, and that would be my choice if I had a white RF.
182933-0

To be honest I almost bought a second RF in white so I could achieve that look, but decided on getting a black to match the black RF I already own instead.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 16:05:45 »

Awesome. You don’t happen to speak Korean, do you? I could use some help getting the word out about these to the Korean keyboard kbd communities. ;)

I wish I did but unfortunately I was just there on a trip. I know a few Korean members on /r/MK, and even ran into one who was buying a RF at the same time I was in Yongsan. I'm sure they'd be happy to help get the word out on such an awesome product.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 16:20:39 »

I wish I did but unfortunately I was just there on a trip. I know a few Korean members on /r/MK, and even ran into one who was buying a RF at the same time I was in Yongsan. I'm sure they'd be happy to help get the word out on such an awesome product.

That would be awesome if you wouldn't mind reaching out to them and/or putting them in touch with me. :)

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 16:25:23 »

That would be awesome if you wouldn't mind reaching out to them and/or putting them in touch with me. :)

Just shot them a message! We'll see what they come back with. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 16:26:18 »

Just shot them a message! We'll see what they come back with. :)

Awesome. Many thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 19:58:57 »

Girlshark Gray, obviously.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 19:59:58 »

Offline richard912

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 20:33:57 »

Inputs please?

I think the white RF keycaps go incredibly well with the aerospace aluminium, and that would be my choice if I had a white RF.
(Attachment Link)

To be honest I almost bought a second RF in white so I could achieve that look, but decided on getting a black to match the black RF I already own instead.
Yeah, aerospace alu was my first choice too in view of my white RF87. Arrrgh, decisions decisions

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 21:48:11 »
Hehe. Yeah, sorry, but everything you said above is wrong. I apologize for the confusion, but I’m only offering so many black colors because people have actually specifically asked for each one of them. Let me try to clarify.

the new Singularity Black: this is black, opaque, and fairly glossy. It is what most people think of when they think of “black powder coat.” If you got a black filing cabinet or any piece of old office furniture, it would probably be a finish similar to this.

Enigma black: this is black powder coat with a gentle speckled texture, creating a fairly matte appearance

Royal Wrinkle black: this is black powder coat with a more noticeable texture, which takes the form of tiny wrinkles rather than specks, also creating a fairly matte appearance.

Tactical black: this is just black anodizing of a bead-blasted surface; it is NOT glossy at all. It is like Apple space gray if you darkened the dye from 75% black (or whatever it is) to 100%. If it looks glossy in some of the photos, it is just the result of how my bright studio lights play against the surface of the metal. The finely bead-blasted texture of the surface of the tactical black case makes it diffuse light pretty well and thus not appear glossy.

Got it. Thanks! I guess for me it comes down to either Tactical Black (matte) or Singularity Black (glossy) then.

Would you say the difference between those 2 is similar to that between the iPhone 7 Jet Black and Matte Black (but darker)?

Or something like this:

Thanks a bunch. It really is a struggle #FirstWorldProblem
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 22:56:09 by nguyenhimself »

Offline FSund

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 02:50:25 »

Inputs please?

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, aerospace alu was my first choice too in view of my white RF87. Arrrgh, decisions decisions

If you do go the route of swapping to MX sliders, the colors of the stock keycaps are less of an issue though.

I know I'm not helping :)
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline heckenjoni

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:41:41 »
hey can anyone link me the Eu proxy GB .... i cant find it, there is nothing under GB ...

Offline avid

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:43:35 »
hey can anyone link me the Eu proxy GB .... i cant find it, there is nothing under GB ...

Go through norbauer sites and on check-out you can chose to go through EU instead.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:49:42 »

Go through norbauer sites and on check-out you can chose to go through EU instead.

Yes, it's just an option at checkout on the normal GB page. You have to enter your European address first for the option to show up. Just let me know if you hit any snags or have any questions. :)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:06:00 »
Ryan, just out of curiosity... How prone is the tactical black to fingerprints and smudges? Maybe compared to the stock plastic housing?
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:07:01 »
Woops, double post
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:17:21 »
Ryan, just out of curiosity... How prone is the tactical black to fingerprints and smudges? Maybe compared to the stock plastic housing?

As I said to FSund by email recently, I think pretty much any black finish will show finger prints to some extent; you just have to cross that awkward threshold from where the first few get on it and they seem out of place, until it’s more or less covered--at which point you stop noticing and it's fine. ;) I say this as someone who has used a black anodized keyboard housing everyday for about five years. I think one just accepts it as part of the premise of having something badass and black. My black-keys RealForce, for example, has an extremely shined ABS spacebar that is all the more visible because of the key color. Though I have a PBT replacement for it, I've just come to embrace this "flaw" as part of the premise of having an all-black keyboard, and as a very direct, physical sign of its intimate connection to me and my body. So I leave it there as it is.

For whatever it’s worth, the more glossy the finish (like Singularity Black) the easier it also is to wipe fingerprints off of it but the more ones that are already there will be visible. So there is a trade-off. Fingerprints are nearly invisible on the textured blacks due to the way the light plays on the surface irregularities. And finger prints are totally invisible on the aerospace aluminum finish and the Galaxy Console, as best as I can tell.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:28:48 »
As I said to FSund by email recently, I think pretty much any black finish will show finger prints to some extent; you just have to cross that awkward threshold from where the first few get on it and they seem out of place, until it’s more or less covered--at which point you stop noticing and it's fine. ;) I say this as someone who has used a black anodized keyboard housing everyday for about five years. I think one just accepts it as part of the premise of having something badass and black. My black-keys RealForce, for example, has an extremely shined ABS spacebar that is all the more visible because of the key color. Though I have a PBT replacement for it, I've just come to embrace this "flaw" as part of the premise of having an all-black keyboard, and as a very direct, physical sign of its intimate connection to me and my body. So I leave it there as it is.

For whatever it’s worth, the more glossy the finish (like Singularity Black) the easier it also is to wipe fingerprints off of it but the more ones that are already there will be visible. So there is a trade-off. Fingerprints are nearly invisible on the textured blacks due to the way the light plays on the surface irregularities. And finger prints are totally invisible on the aerospace aluminum finish and the Galaxy Console, as best as I can tell.

Thanks for the quick response.

A very in-depth and almost poetic way of looking at it, haha. I'm not too worried about it either, I was just wondering as I'm very eager to get my grubby hands all over this beauty.  ^-^

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 10:10:41 »
So how many people have ordered Retro Retro Refrigerator so far? I have Nissho caps and they have different shades of blue and green on them, so I've been considered pairing that with my case, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 10:21:38 »
 Color choice is killing me... I have no nails now... XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline norbauer

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:29:57 »
So how many people have ordered Retro Retro Refrigerator so far?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:30:41 »
Hehe. Yeah, sorry, but everything you said above is wrong. I apologize for the confusion, but I’m only offering so many black colors because people have actually specifically asked for each one of them. Let me try to clarify.

the new Singularity Black: this is black, opaque, and fairly glossy. It is what most people think of when they think of “black powder coat.” If you got a black filing cabinet or any piece of old office furniture, it would probably be a finish similar to this.

Enigma black: this is black powder coat with a gentle speckled texture, creating a fairly matte appearance

Royal Wrinkle black: this is black powder coat with a more noticeable texture, which takes the form of tiny wrinkles rather than specks, also creating a fairly matte appearance.

Tactical black: this is just black anodizing of a bead-blasted surface; it is NOT glossy at all. It is like Apple space gray if you darkened the dye from 75% black (or whatever it is) to 100%. If it looks glossy in some of the photos, it is just the result of how my bright studio lights play against the surface of the metal. The finely bead-blasted texture of the surface of the tactical black case makes it diffuse light pretty well and thus not appear glossy.

Got it. Thanks! I guess for me it comes down to either Tactical Black (matte) or Singularity Black (glossy) then.

Would you say the difference between those 2 is similar to that between the iPhone 7 Jet Black and Matte Black (but darker)?

Show Image

Or something like this:

Show Image

Thanks a bunch. It really is a struggle #FirstWorldProblem

Yes, that is a pretty good color analogy. :)

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:28:31 »
I sent a PM to Hasu to see if we could get some USB-to-USB adapters made, maybe Ryan can help test them/give specs and dimensions =)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:29:35 »
I sent a PM to Hasu to see if we could get some USB-to-USB adapters made, maybe Ryan can help test them/give specs and dimensions =)

Sure; happy to help! Just LMK what you guys need. :)

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:36:44 »

I think mostly just need to know how much space is available near the breakout PCB, since this would sit between the Topre PCB and your breakout PCB. It should be fairly small -> http://i.imgur.com/2y06AIal.jpg

It wouldn't have the USB-A adapters anymore, so it would be a bit slimmer.

Although if someone else is familiar with designing PCBs they could help out... Hasu open-sourced his: https://github.com/tmk/USB2USB_Converter

Offline norbauer

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:00:20 »

I think mostly just need to know how much space is available near the breakout PCB, since this would sit between the Topre PCB and your breakout PCB. It should be fairly small -> http://i.imgur.com/2y06AIal.jpg

It wouldn't have the USB-A adapters anymore, so it would be a bit slimmer.

Although if someone else is familiar with designing PCBs they could help out... Hasu open-sourced his: https://github.com/tmk/USB2USB_Converter

Ah, I didn’t realize you meant inside the case. There is zero room inside of the case. It would have to be on the outside of the case, inline with the cable.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:06:19 »
The pictures of the breakout board on the product page made it look like there was a little space near it. Unless that is taken up by the Topre PCB... Or maybe it could just replace the breakout board...

Offline norbauer

the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:08:02 »
The pictures of the breakout board on the product page made it look like there was a little space near it. Unless that is taken up by the Topre PCB... Or maybe it could just replace the breakout board...

There is the tiniest bit of room, but that will be taken up by the internal cables. A replacement for the breakout board would of course work. Maybe someone can make that as an after-market upgrade to my after-market upgrade.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 23:40:24 »

Yo dawg, I heard you like breakout boards so I made a breakout board for your breakout board.

Offline BloodToxin

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 01:15:50 »
About to jump in on that Monte Carlo Red for my Christmas gift to myself  :p
Can you actually feel the texture on it? Or does is it just feel like aluminum?

Offline Sharku

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 07:30:28 »
Can’t wait for Norbapold!!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 07:37:50 »

I'm hoping the next drop is the Norbapad.  :cool:

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 07:43:16 »

Actually, now that I think about it, that is a terrible name. It sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Offline richard912

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:08:20 »

Actually, now that I think about it, that is a terrible name. It sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

LOL

Offline norbauer

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:22:50 »
About to jump in on that Monte Carlo Red for my Christmas gift to myself  :p
Can you actually feel the texture on it? Or does is it just feel like aluminum?

It doesn’t feel quite like bare aluminum, but it feels shockingly smooth for something that looks so textured. It’s kind of weird and hard to describe verbally, but suffice it to say it feels pretty smooth.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:36:28 »

Looks like someone already posted it to kbdlab last week
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:43:17 by dubious »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:40:15 »
still undecided on black on black or white on white, sum1 help

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:14:52 »
still undecided on black on black or white on white, sum1 help

triple black
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:22:03 »

they like it but say it's too expensive

korean community is generally a one keyboard or large collection community, as opposed to our community, which is mostly small collections

i bet there'll be a few orders though

the chinese community is where the money is, but they're not really jazzed about topre as far as i'm aware
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:19:14 »

korean community is generally a one keyboard or large collection community, as opposed to our community, which is mostly small collections

the chinese community is where the money is, but they're not really jazzed about topre as far as i'm aware
it does seem like kbdmania and otd.kr are more into premade boards, but both are mostly defunct now. kbdlab avoids anything non-custom.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:43:28 by dubious »

Offline norbauer

the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 19:37:38 »

My vote would be tactical black.

Awesome. You don’t happen to speak Korean, do you? I could use some help getting the word out about these to the Korean keyboard kbd communities.

Heh. Well, that's all a bit more calculated than I was intending to be. Just wanted to get the word out to as many people who might be interested as possible before the group buy ends rather than trying to accommodate lots of folks who heard about it after the fact (as has often been the case in the past). Anyway, I'm glad to see someone posted about it on a Korean site so those folks have a chance to find out about it. Thanks everyone for your help and insights. It's interesting to learn about these cultural variations of focus in the different communities.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 00:26:05 by norbauer »